Buying a new Kit soon!

Yeah it's looking better. Are you sure you like the idea of such small crashes though? Of course as i said you can always just buy bigger a customs later and just have a monster kit ;) As for stands, well you've already got a rack so you shouldn't have to worry about getting cymbal or tom stands but as for a snare stand i've got a Gibraltair omniball stand which is very good i think and about £50. Roc n soc are extremely good thrones and i don't think you'll regret purchasing one.

I changed the sizes of the crashes to 16" and 18", well actually I changed pretty much everything about the kit! And I think you're right about the Roc n' Soc, I tried one out at GC and it was AMAZING.

okay looks good mate. Funnily enough i was talking to my friend today and he was saying that the only reason the B.O.A is a PDP is just because they want a younger target audience and it's actually as good, if not better than a lot of DW pedals. The A-Customs are beautiful sounding cymbals and the workhorses of thousands of drummers in almost all styles of music so you won't regret it. The only thing i would say is that if you're gonna wait to get the FX cymbals (the crash and china presumably?) then maybe you could hold out and get something better? I hear people who say that even PST5s make much better cymbals than PST3s.

Re: Possibilities for New Kit?

For $3,000 I think that you should definately be able to get a pro kit. If you want to go new I would suggest the that you look at

1) Yamaha oak customs
2) Gretsch Renowns
3) Tama birch/bubinga

and perhaps consider going with a double pedal (especially if you are going to gig with this kit)

You can do much better than PDP for this kind of money.

Wayne

Hey everyone, just thought I'd tell you what I'm thinking of buying:

Drums: PDP FS 6 pc. Drum Set with add-on bass drum and floor tom, making it an 8 pc.

Snare Drum: Tama John Blackwell Signature Snare

Add-ons: ddrum Deccabons, 14" & 16" depth

Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom Crashes, 16" and 18", Zildjian A Custom Ride, 20", Zildjian A Custom Hi Hats, 14", Paiste PST 3 Splash, 10", Paiste PST 3 China 18"

x2 Single Pedal: PDP B.O.A.

Heads: Batter- Evans G Plus Coated Fusion Pack, Resonant- Stock

Cymbal Stands: PDP 800

Throne: Roc n' Soc Original

Note that the Heads, Effect cymbals, Throne, and Deccabons will be gradually added on after the initial purchase.

Total of everything else comes to just under $3000.

What do you all think?

okay looks good mate. Funnily enough i was talking to my friend today and he was saying that the only reason the B.O.A is a PDP is just because they want a younger target audience and it's actually as good, if not better than a lot of DW pedals. The A-Customs are beautiful sounding cymbals and the workhorses of thousands of drummers in almost all styles of music so you won't regret it. The only thing i would say is that if you're gonna wait to get the FX cymbals (the crash and china presumably?) then maybe you could hold out and get something better? I hear people who say that even PST5s make much better cymbals than PST3s.

Thanks! And that's actually a great idea about the effects cymbals, I was kind of skeptical about the PST 3s, I'll probably go with the PST 5s.

For $3,000 I think that you should definately be able to get a pro kit. If you want to go new I would suggest the that you look at

1) Yamaha oak customs
2) Gretsch Renowns
3) Tama birch/bubinga

and perhaps consider going with a double pedal (especially if you are going to gig with this kit)

You can do much better than PDP for this kind of money.

Wayne

Well, I don't think you read my whole post, because I said that $3000 is including the drums, hardware, and cymbals. I also said that I'm buying a second bass drum, so a double pedal would be sort of pointless, that's why I'm getting 2 single PDP B.O.A. pedals.

since your in canada sabian is a likely choice, most of mine are AAX with a couple AA and HH, if you buy new you can buy sets (hats crash and ride) and or (splash and chineese) etc, and save a few bucks that way, also any good used stuff thats realy dirty can be sent to sabian and repolished and restamped for $25 per cymbal and they pay the return shipping, AA,AAX,HH,HHX and Vault only, pretty cheap to make a cymbal like new, also check out dixon or gibralter hardware, their HD stuff are both about the same, with double braced legs and thick wall tubing, ive been gigging my dixon hardware for 10 years now with no problems. the better quality your shells and cymbals are the better they will sound and the more you will want to play them...

Thanks! And that's actually a great idea about the effects cymbals, I was kind of skeptical about the PST 3s, I'll probably go with the PST 5s.

Well, I don't think you read my whole post, because I said that $3000 is including the drums, hardware, and cymbals. I also said that I'm buying a second bass drum, so a double pedal would be sort of pointless, that's why I'm getting 2 single PDP B.O.A. pedals.

I read your whole post, and I think that you still can do better than the PDP drums for $3K. The double pedal would be instead of the second bass drum.
No offence intended but it sounds like you were planning to spend $3,000 on mostly beginner level stuff. (Except for the hardware, pedals and the Zildjians)
I think that this is very misguided. For that kind of money you should have professional gear.
I just read about someone getting a 6 piece Renown for under 1K that leaves pleny of money for add on drums hardware and cymbals.

Please note I'm not saying to buy any of these kits (Except the one from Forks) but they are good examples to show you what's available for your price range.
hears a few examples:

You can start with one of these and add around 1000 for hardware and cymbals, and add drums when you want more.
Yamaha Oak custom 8-10-12-14-22 + snare $1,999
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Oak-Cust...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Brand new from Forks ( A great 5 Star dealer) Yamaha oak 10-12-14-16-22 $1595
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Oak-Cust...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

My choice: Used Yamaha BCAN 10-12-16-22 $1,699
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Birch-Cu...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:2|294:50

Tama Starclassic Used 10-12-13-14-15-22 and snare $1,200
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-Starclassi...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Tama Starclassic maple used 8-10-12-13-16-22 $1,499
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-PIECE-TAMA-ST...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Last edited:

To be honest you would be better off just getting a single bass kit with a double pedal as W Loeb has already suggested. Honestly, it's not just cheaper there are advantages too like for me it's much easier to record and really you just end up with a tighter kit.

you need stands to use the cymbals!

and pedals to play the drums..

Alex
A DW 5000 or an iron cobra double pedal should be more than good enough and either one costs $380. Another advantage to a double pedal is that you can use it with the electric kit as well for consistency.

Alex,

I've read many good posts by you, how would you recommend the original poster spend $3,000?

Wayne

Guys, please stop telling me not to get 2 bass drums, I appreciate the advice, but in the end, that is my choice to make.

Anyway, what do you all think of the Gibraltar Double Bass Rack?

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST

Forget the Gibraltar double bass rack, how do you all think a 4-sided Pearl ICON (side extension) would do with 2 bass drums?

Guys, please stop telling me not to get 2 bass drums, I appreciate the advice, but in the end, that is my choice to make.

Anyway, what do you all think of the Gibraltar Double Bass Rack?

Fine get two bass drums if you want. But let me be blunt. You are wasting your money if you are spending $3K for a kit based around a PDP FS. $3k to suround youself with lot's of low-end drums?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Over and out
Wayne

buy used, you could get a fair amount of pro cymbals and drums for that price....i can only dream of the kind of drum kit i could have if i had $3000 US to spend, so don't waste it on brand-spanking new mid-level gear

Guys why is everyone so obsessed with him getting a car? He did say he doesn't want either at university. There's not much point in getting a car when your 16 or 17 because the insurance is just ridiculous. Waste of time and money imo. Not to mention people don't kill themselves on drums.

No no no. I happen to know that teens with cars get um..."action" 99% more of the time than teens without. A drum kit won't bring your babe to the movies or initiate any...um...action until you are a rock star. Understand, this is the bane of parents, but speaking as a former teen....

Insurance isn't *that* bad if he has a job, and sticks to a non-sports car with a $500 deductible. Will a used ford focus REALLY cost that much for insurance? Not like a used mustang would.

Fine get two bass drums if you want. But let me be blunt. You are wasting your money if you are spending $3K for a kit based around a PDP FS. $3k to suround youself with lot's of low-end drums?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Over and out
Wayne

Point taken, although PDP FS drums aren't (from what I've heard) low level drums, they are more medium-level. And yes, the drums are not the highest quality, but tons of drummers have told me the general rule about purchasing drums, which is: You are able to change the sound of a drum to match your preferences; you can't do the same with cymbals.

For this reason, I've decided to spend more money on the Zildjian A Customs, because I know they will last a lifetime (I don't typically play in a manner that damages/breaks cymbals), and even if I ever do decide to upgrade my actual drums (and you made some great recommendations, but they are all out of range for the time being), I will have the cymbals on hand.

No matter how much I disagree with you, I will still take your opinion into account, as you seem like someone who knows their drums well!

Point taken, although PDP FS drums aren't (from what I've heard) low level drums, they are more medium-level.

Please...no. Let's not get overzealous. They are entry level. They are not equivalent to any intermediate I can think of. They compete with stuff like the yamaha rydeen.

Please...no. Let's not get overzealous. They are entry level. They are not equivalent to any intermediate I can think of. They compete with stuff like the yamaha rydeen.

I think it's all subjective. Entry or not, I love the sound of my FS kit more than even my drum teacher's DW.

If I'm not mistaken, the general wisdom on upgrading a kit is cymbals first, than shells.
If he goes with A customs and FS he WILL have an excellent sounding kit.

(Given he tunes and plays properly.)

I'll sell you drums and cymbals for $3000. 21"AA Raw bell ride, 19" a custom projection, 18" AAX xplosion, 14" AAX x-celerator hats, DW 5000 double pedal

Attachments

• kit.JPG
    kit.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 573
  • finish1.JPG
    finish1.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 562
Back