splash cymbal stand

thesilentnoise

i just bought a new splash cymbal and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the placement of it.

i had an extra boom stand so right now its by my ride...

i kinda liked where buddy kept his so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how i could get that kind of placement.

or just any suggestions as to where you place yours.

thanks in advance.

I use this to place my splash behind my up-left TT. It's bolted to a cymbal boom stand.
You can place anything almost anywhere...it's just a matter of finding the correct hard wear.
Try looking at Gilbralter, Pearl & DW websites.
Maybe this helps.

I use this to place my splash behind my up-left TT. It's bolted to a cymbal boom stand.
You can place anything almost anywhere...it's just a matter of finding the correct hard wear.
Try looking at Gilbralter, Pearl & DW websites.
Maybe this helps.

I have one of these just sitting around collecting dust. I used to hang it off my ride cymbal stand and have the splash in between my tom and ride.

Right now my two splashes are above and and a bit to the left of my HH. From a birds eye view they cover up a bit of the hats but not to much. The first one it about two inches above the HH and the seccond one is two inches above the first splash. The higher pitched one is lower and the lower pitched one is higher (lol kind of backwards). This placement allows me to incorporate the splashes into my regular beats and allows me to play them with me left hand for some interesting rhythms. I plan to get another splash to make it a three splash "tree" but I haven't decided on one yet. I might even get a bell, who knows.

Like most guys so far I use a clamp and a boom, this one's a Tama. I like to have the splash close enough that I can reach it easily to choke it.

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

might i say drumtechdad that your setup is awesome.

specs?

and do you find that placing it between your crash and hihats makes it more accesible?

i play with a 4 piece kit and wanted to place it between the ride and the high tom.

Hey Joe, Could you use this arm for a Zil-Bel or what do you think would be a good mount?
Thanks!

Yeah that setup would work well with a Zil-Bell. I have that set up with a 14" china and it works fine. You could also use one of those mounts that attatch to the top of a cymbal stand for the bell. Thats how i want to mount mine when i get it.

OK, WHAT about this one??? I just want to put my Zil on a stand.. I might move my splash to above my hats, like another writer..
Thanks for all input.
:)

Attachments

• PEARL ARM.jpg
    PEARL ARM.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 13,906
might i say drumtechdad that your setup is awesome.

specs?

and do you find that placing it between your crash and hihats makes it more accesible?

i play with a 4 piece kit and wanted to place it between the ride and the high tom.

Actually I had this kind of setup not so long ago:

IMG_1060a.jpg

But the splash was a bit of a reach. In its new place it's right within easy reach. If you get a clamp-and-boom thing you can experiment to your heart's content. The fixed (non-adjustable) L-rod type thingy as seen in a post above will give you fewer options.

That's actually my kid's set--no more hand-me-downs from dad!--it's a Pearl ECX, which they only made for one year, using the SMX all-maple shells. I upgraded it with superhoops and optimounts, and darned if it doesn't sound like an SMX! ;-)

It is:

8x7
10x8
12x9
14x14
16x16
22x18
14x5 bronze sensitone snare

Bass drum is PS3s front and rear, no port and nothing in the drum. All batter heads coated Ambassadors, all tom resos clear Ambassadors, snare reso hazy Diplomat. A mix of Zildjian As and A customs, including a 60s-era 20" ride.

Since the pics were taken I've consolidated the other side of the kit, too: instead of two stands I have the crash on a B-1000 boom stand and the ride on a CH-1000 boom arm clamped to it. So even with this kit, aside from the snare stand, hihat, and throne, I'm down to two (very sturdy) stands for everything else.

I have 2 splashes in use currently and have them mounted on 6 inch cymbal stackers on top of two of my crashes. They sit there proudly waiting to do their part. You can see them here on the far right and third from the right cymbals.

Attachments

• P3090006.JPG
    P3090006.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 15,166
I have 2 splashes in use currently and have them mounted on 6 inch cymbal stackers on top of two of my crashes. They sit there proudly waiting to do their part. You can see them here on the far right and third from the right cymbals.

what kind of stackers are you using.

ive heard from people that havent had some good experience with them?

I bought a Ludwig splash stand a very compact and durable splash stand I have it mounted on my first crash cymbal stand between my first tom & hi-hats I really like the stand because it's small compared to the previous posts I would recommend it to anybody.

Keep Swattin',
Bonzolead

So far, as I wait for the drums to come in, I have only Sonor stands to play around with whie I wait.

I bought two cymbal stackers only to find that they're 8mm and my Sonor threads are 6mm... live and learn.

So, now I need to find either some stackers that will fit the Sonor stands w/the 6mm threads or get your recommendation for another brand of stand w/8mm thread.

I have 4 splash cymbals I want to mount, two on each stand. I'd like to have a set of those Sabian bell cymbals that DeJohnette uses but I suppose they'd be pretty high $$$.

So... what say ye!

I mount mine off of another cymbal with two dw cymbal stacker posts and a small clamp that has 2 eyebolts. Basically I make a home-made offset stacker.

I take one of the stackers and remove everything, leaving the threaded post and put it over one of my cymbals.

I only need one clamp, but I salvage a part from a second one. I salvage a clamp from something like this. Some cowbell holders also use the same type of clamp. It's expensive to have to buy two in order to do this, but you're not wasting a clamp, trust me. Over the years I had these on hand so it works out.

1125206_8741_large.jpg

I take the eyebolt off of one and replace the jaw clamp side on another with the second eyebolt so the clamp has two of them. Make sense? Then I take the stacker that I didn't take apart and put it in of the clamp's eyebolts and put the other end on the stacker that is already threaded on to the stand. I then take the jaw from the first clamp and put it on the second clamp I salvaged the eyebolt from. So I have one clamp with two jaws and one with two eyebolts so nothing goes to waste.

I can take a closer picture but I hope that makes sense. This allows me to have the splash mounted over a cymbal but it's offset so I still have access to the bell of that cymbal.

Attachments

• 389700_3363288998704_1163484888_3669688_986485710_n.jpg
    389700_3363288998704_1163484888_3669688_986485710_n.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 8,211
I really like the DW dogbone and cymbal arms; rock solid.

GJS

p.s. Mr. Compactness you have some fun percussive devices to hit!

Back