good deal on bubinga kit?

On usedeverywhere.com I found someone selling a tama starclassic bubinga 6piece kit with a Kenny Aronoff trackmaster snare. I think it is a pretty good deal because it has only been used once for one concert by Kenny Aronoff and it is only 2500 dollars. 3500 if i want all the cymbals with it. I am still young so it will take me over 6 months to get 2500 dollars but in the area I live not many people buy drums used.

Any suggestions on wether this is a good or bad deal please tell me because otherwise I am going to spend more than 2500 dollars to get a 5 piece b/b performer.

thanks!

Hmm. My used Starclassic Bubinga elites (4-drums) only cost me $1400 and that was a custom-made finish too. The used market is a buyer's market, I say look around some more.
Or offer the guy $1600 and see what he says. He'll probably change his price over time as it sits waiting to be sold.

I was there before and he showed me the dvd of kenny aronoff playing the drum kit.

It is a 6 piece so it will cost more and the snare itself is more expensive. It comes with two cymbal stands to hold up the toms and also if i want all the cymbals and hardware it will cost 3500.

This guy is a major collector. He has signed steve smith drumkits everywere

You are young and you are probably currently not in the financial position to spend money on drums as a collector would.
I suggest that you buy a kit that is more within your means.

That is a lot of cash for that kit unless you are a collector and you are not really going to play it and risk dinging it.

I'd buy that kit so i could play it. I wouldn't buy it so i could stare at it in a corner. I want to get a high quality kit to last me a long time and I have nothing to save my money for otherwise. Most people my age just buy video games but i want to put my money towards something better. It being played by Kenny Aronoff is still a cool feature but it does'nt make me want it more of less. This kit is the same price as the b/b performer I am going to get otherwise but it is better. I like tama so for me it would be nice to get.

Bo - why do you think it is overpriced? it has 2 more drums then yours came with and then switch it into canadian dollars.

The kit will probably sell long before you can save the cash.

How much do you have for a kit right now?
What kit do you currently own?

Atm i have no money.. ( i know it will probrably be gone )

I have a old (at least 15 years) yamaha kit i got off usedeverywhere for under 500. I added on a tama starclassic birch snare. I want to upgrade to a full starclassic kit.

...a tama starclassic bubinga 6piece kit with a Kenny Aronoff trackmaster snare. I think it is a pretty good deal ...only 2500 dollars. ... I am still young so it will take me over 6 months to get 2500 dollars

So, here's what you do. Start saving money. Start watching auctions on eBay. Start making lists of what pro-level drums are selling for. Include details like ....make ... model .... # of pieces ... sizes ... asking price ... did the drums sell, or were there no bids ... if they didn't sell .... were they re-listed .... and if so, for what price.​
Six months of information gathering, and you'll pretty much be able to answer your own questions.​
For what it's worth, I think the asking price is high. Sure, the seller "would like" to get $2500 for the drums .... but I doubt he will.​

Bo - why do you think it is overpriced? it has 2 more drums then yours came with and then switch it into canadian dollars.

Like Harry says, the buyer would like to get as much as he can, but I doubt he will. It's a buyer's market out there - the economy basically sucks and no one is buying much of anything outside of rent/mortgages and food and gas. The guy who sold me my drums had dropped his prices alot over time because no one was biting at all. He even paid for the shipping! And as cool as I think bubinga is (and alot of people think it's a cool wood), it's still the odd-man out because the world seems to want maple right now anyway, so rare doesn't necessarily mean in demand, it's just rare and about as popular as other woods are that aren't maple.

I say scrape up whatever money you can and watch that seller. Either he's going to sell it quickly to another person who collects, or his price will gradually come down if he really wants to move it. I'd bet money it'll be the latter.

You are 14 years old.
You have plenty of time to save for a kit.
Take it slow and it will happen for you in time.

In the meantime Yamaha drums are excellent!
You have a snare that you like.
You could always buy a cymbal that you like and that will give you something new to play and explore.
Look on the bright side, You already have drums that are better than what most 14 year olds have!

Your current kit is higher quality than the kits that I gig with!

That price is high on that Tama Kit.
People often advertise something at a high price just to see if they can get it.
If they find someone to buy it, It is all good for them.
If not they simply lower the price or they remove the item from the market if they don't have to sell it.

thanks for the info.
My main problem is ebay.ca. It does not have many drumkits and shipping from ebay.com is crazy expensive.

What should i look up if i want to search different drumkits? just the make of them? or is there something i can type in that will bring up many kinds of drumkits? so far i never find much on ebay.

eBay can be a jungle.
You kind of have to poke around sometimes to find what you want.

Some sellers don't always list their drums in a friendly way for the search to work properly.
I also adjust my searches to show the closest locations to me first.
I also select used first.
When you look at certain drums eBay will email you with similar items as they get listed.
eBay tracks what you view and tries to help you that way.

You have to be patient.
One day you will go on eBay or another site and the right kit for the right price will be there in front of you.

Save your money in the meantime so that you have cash when you find a kit.
You simply can't buy a used kit without cash being ready to pay for it.

If I am bidding on something and the bid gets to high I simply stop bidding. I don't get into bidding wars.
I wait for the next one to come along.

I also run want ads on various sites like craigslist when I know what I am looking for.
This has worked for me several times.

I know what bo meant about it being overpriced. but thats just canada. here its worth 5000 new and then on dales drum shop i saw a 5 piece bubinga new for only 1700!

they don't ship to canada =(

i'm going to keep looking for deals but im pretty set on wanting a starclassic.

I don't know how much the Starclassics are going for in Canada, but here in California the Guitar Center sells a six-piece shell pack of the Starclassic birch/bubinga line for about $1699. There was even a Mike Portnoy copy-finish Starclassic kit that they wanted $1799 for 5 toms and a bass drum - it would be a cool kit if it wasn't so obvious you wanted to be a Portnoy clone!

How about trying to find one of those instead of a full bubinga kit? Everything could be about the same except for the shells and the tom mounts. Any of the Starclassics are good drums period. They do get more exquisite as you move up the line, but they are all good workhorse drums. And I know you have your heart set on these, but there are other brands to consider as well. Some of them might be cheaper too.

How far (driving hours) are you from the border? I live in the Hamilton/Brantford area (Ontario) which is about 2 hours one way and we have a mailbox in the Falls on the US side. I order stuff there all the time then go down there and pick it up. I have never ordered a drum kit there. Claiming it is like 13% so it'd be like $2,200 after tax, claim, and shipping. I will never order something to Canada even if I didn't have the mailbox. They usually get caught in customs and rejected but if you bring it across the border with you just pay and your good to go. Just a suggestion.

Bo- birch bubinga here for the shell pack is about 2000. The kit long and mcquade would order came with a hihat stand a single pedal and 2 cymbal stands for 2400+ after tax.

I am thinking about finding a kit and going over to us to get it.

I am mainly looking at the bubingas because before I was going to get the birch/bubinga and then i saw the bubinga for the same price as the b/b. then on ebay i saw even after going over the border, bringing over a bubinga kit off ebay.com (1700 + shipping) the import tax and all that good stuff, it would cost maybe even a little less then the b/b for the full bubinga.

I am a tama fan because every tama thing i have has proved better then the same kind of product from a different company, and i tried the lowest end tama (imperialstar) and actualy liked the sound, so my philosophy is that if their lowest end is awesome i can't wait to try their highest.

Bo- birch bubinga here for the shell pack is about 2000. The kit long and mcquade would order came with a hihat stand a single pedal and 2 cymbal stands for 2400+ after tax.

I am thinking about finding a kit and going over to us to get it.

I am mainly looking at the bubingas because before I was going to get the birch/bubinga and then i saw the bubinga for the same price as the b/b. then on ebay i saw even after going over the border, bringing over a bubinga kit off ebay.com (1700 + shipping) the import tax and all that good stuff, it would cost maybe even a little less then the b/b for the full bubinga.

I am a tama fan because every tama thing i have has proved better then the same kind of product from a different company, and i tried the lowest end tama (imperialstar) and actualy liked the sound, so my philosophy is that if their lowest end is awesome i can't wait to try their highest.

Well, you will not be disappointed. I love mine. Good luck on your acquisition!

Back