Is there a sound difference between the 60's & 70 COB Powertone snare

panop

I'm in the market for a 5x14 COB power tone. Just wondering if there is a certain year(s) that are better than others. Looking for the fattest of the bunch if there is such a thing.

If you want the "fattest",then you want the 6.5x14 Powertone,not the 5 x14.As far as I know,the shells are all the same.No snare beds and the same thickness,and same strainer.I would PM member JohnPloughman,who's the resident Rogers expert.

Steve B

Last edited:
I do not own a 6.5 Powertone. I would like to. In wood and cob. I do however own three wood Powertones, 63, 65, 66. And, a 64 Tower, all 5x14. I owned a 1963 Cleveland 5x14 COB (which I gifted to the admin of the Rogers Owners forum), a 5x14 first/second quarter 1967 Dayton COB (which I gifted to a young drummer in need of a quality snare drum), and am the present owner of a 1970 5x14 COB Fullerton. To most ears, there is no noticeable difference in sound. I think the Fullerton was brighter. It was slightly lighter in weight. Not by much. They are beautiful drums. And a good investment in vintage.

There are some early Powertones, late 62/early63 with Bread and Butter lugs. After that, from 63 on, Beavertail lugs. Any Powertone with beavertail lugs will put a smile on your face.

Thanks for the replies guys. One that I'm checking out is I believe from the 60's marked Dayton Ohio. The photo is quite bad and I can't tell if the lugs are B&B or Beavertail. Did they even do beavertail on the snare? All the photos online seem to be the same lugs.

Dayton tags are Beavertail.

The Dayton tag COB I owned was already gone when I made this pic. The COB on the left is the 63 . The one on the right is the 70 Fullerton

IMG_0038.jpg

Back