Alesis DM8 Studio - Don't bother. Alesis DM10 - Better but noisy.

Dr Crinkle

I got an Alesis DM8 just before Christmas and the trigger in the bell on the ride cymbal packed up within a month. By the end of January the whole ride was dead and the hi-hat controller pedal starting getting temperamental. Sometimes it didn't work at all.

I suspected it was a problem with the leads - the DM8 has all the leads from the triggers going into one DB25 connector that goes into the brain. I sent the broken parts back (including the brain and loom) to Andertons and after 6 week they said that they couldn't get a replacement ride but I could have one from a DM10 kit instead.

I was so frustrated I told them I wanted to send the whole thing back which I did. I spent another £170 to upgrade to an Alesis DM10 instead.

The DM10 is much sturdier looking and feeling and the triggers all have their own inputs which inspires confidence. The trouble with the DM10 is that the pads don't half make a racket when you hit 'em - they are way louder than the DM8. It's like beating on icecream tubs!

I'm gonna try some mesh heads on the DM10 to make it quieter. Hopefully it'll last longer than the DM8.

Good to know. I was thinking about getting a DM8 usb kit for home practice. Maybe I'll shoot for a DM10 studio now. I'll definately have to do the mesh head conversion. I live in a townhouse development. Those mylar heads would not fly for me.

When you say, "DM10 better, but noisy," what do you mean? You mean that there is noise/artifacts in the electronics and the samples, or you mean the pads themselves? I'm confused. I want to make sure I'm getting a good module, as I intend to trigger acoustic drums with mesh heads and use the Alesys hihats and 3-zone cymbals.

I'm trying to decide on a sound module/trigger/electronic cymbal combination for recording to a sound track (I don't think I'll do MIDI, but it's nice to know it's there) so that I can play another instrument alongside it for solo playing.

It's the pads themselves that make the noise.

The samples are entirely adequate but I can't really rave about them because I prefer an acoustic kit - even with all the limitations.

Go with the mesh head conversion. It made it possible for me to play at night with my DM10.

Back