Looking for a snare like Lars Ulrich's (No haters please, lets keep this professional people)

GrebGoneBad

Hi all!

As the title pretty much sums up I'm looking for a new snare drum that sounds like Lars Ulrich's (Who for those who don't know is the drummer for Metallica). I say like because I did actually look into buying one of his signature snare's, but yeeeeaaaahhhhh, NO! I don't have half a k to spare at the moment. XD

So in other words, I'm looking for the closest thing I can get to Lars Ulrich's snare drum without actually having to buy HIS snare drum. I'm looking for his snare's type of sound particularly because I like how you can play it hard and fast and have it cut through everything but you can also play it soft and slow and it fit just right. I would prefer the snare's shell to be metal as well FYI, not sure if this makes a difference to you or not. =/

So if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

FYI, as far as price goes im really not looking to pay any more than £200-£250 right now.

Thanks Guys!

Hmm. $500 or so is the going rate for snares like that these days. Maybe you could find one used? Or try to find a used Pearl Sensitone, some are steel, some are brass, that will put you in the general ballpark for sound. It's hard to tell what his sound really is though because those records are so well-produced. It's hard to tell the actual snare sound sometimes.

I think you need a Pork Pie Big Brass Snare.

DV016_Jpg_Large_447810.898.488_black_chrome_6.5x14in.jpg

It certainly depends on what era Metallica snare you're looking for.

Regardless, a steel shell Supralite could work here too I think. 6.5x14 version. About 180 brand new. The Big Black will certainly do it also though. And even a nickel plated steel Pearl Chad Smith sig is one that might fit the bill just right.

His snare sound has to do with tuning, location, heads, sticks, amplification, EQ, mix........so unless you can duplicate all of that your snare won't sound like his. Your best bet is to find out what his snare is made from, the size, and the type of heads, and look for something similar. You will frustrate yourself trying to get his sound. You should really try for your own sound.

It's hard to tell what his sound really is though because those records are so well-produced. It's hard to tell the actual snare sound sometimes.

Ouch. That seems to be a scathing indictment of something but I'm not sure exactly what.

Hi all! Thanks for your replies!

@ Bo Eder - I can see that for a full on, proffesional grade, balls to the walls live snare can set you back a very pretty penny indeed, but I have also seen snares (Metal and Wood) ranging between £150-£300 that look promising. =) I understand what you mean about the recording being so high quality, what I'm mainly looking for is something with plenty of 'snap' and a little 'slap' when you hit it and a nice hard rock tone to it.

@Hollywood Jim - I'll definitely look into that, thanks! =)

@ TheHeelDrummer - I'm mainly on about Metallica's Black album/load/reload days. You know, back when they were at the top of their game. =) I'll definitely give those you suggested a looksie and see what I think. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I wont be able to try the snare out before I buy it. The closest retailer that stocks a decent amount of snare drums to my knowledge is around 200 miles away. =( So I'm really looking to tohers to tell me what their opinions are.

@ GRUNTERSDAD - I understand what you're saying, but what I'm looking for is the basic snare that I could tune myself to get a similar sound. For example, I found a 14 x 6.5 metal shell snare online for around £180, which would be about right pricewise and its the same size as lars's snare, however I doubt it would sound anything like his.

I have found these snares online, opinions everyone?

http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Tama-Metalworks-14-x-65in-Black-Nickel-Snare-Drum/Z3M

http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and...utter-14-x-65in-Hammered-Steel-Snare-Drum/XJL

http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Pearl-Sensitone-Elite-14-x-5-Snare-Drum-Steel/KPY

Also, any advice on heads/tuning? I'm a newbie with snares, bought a crappy second hand kit and now I'm trying to upgrade a few things. =) All I've ever had to do is tighten the skin on this snare every now and then. =/

Ouch. That seems to be a scathing indictment of something but I'm not sure exactly what.

No scathing here. Just pointing out the obvious: Metallica has a budget to really produce their sound and the drums get produced too. In fact, I've heard stories from guys like Keltner and Harvey Mason how the most unlikely drum will end up being all over a particular bit album. Making albums is a craft like everything else.

No scathing here. Just pointing out the obvious: Metallica has a budget to really produce their sound and the drums get produced too. In fact, I've heard stories from guys like Keltner and Harvey Mason how the most unlikely drum will end up being all over a particular bit album. Making albums is a craft like everything else.

Yes, I understand all that. I didn't mean to say that *you* were scathing. Just that I can never quite get past the general, casual assumption that "good production" = "removing the instrument's/musician's own sound and putting in someone else's" (the engineer's or producer's).

Yes, I understand all that. I didn't mean to say that *you* were scathing. Just that I can never quite get past the general, casual assumption that "good production" = "removing the instrument's/musician's own sound and putting in someone else's" (the engineer's or producer's).
More often than not the commercial recording is highly processed leaving little of the original sound intact. More often than you think, the snare in the video or otherwise credited is not the snare used on the recording. What goes on in the studio often stays in the studio - we know ;)

His snare sound has to do with tuning, location, heads, sticks, amplification, EQ, mix........so unless you can duplicate all of that your snare won't sound like his. Your best bet is to find out what his snare is made from, the size, and the type of heads, and look for something similar. You will frustrate yourself trying to get his sound. You should really try for your own sound.

+10000.This discussion has been had here ,ad nausium.Live drums,don't sound like produced and miced drums....ever,period.It dosen't make a difference if you spend 100 bucks or 10,000 bucks.....the results will be the same,because there ar almost infinite variables to account for.Please use the search function,to see exactly what I'm talking about.

Steve B

More often than not the commercial recording is highly processed leaving little of the original sound intact. More often than you think, the snare in the video or otherwise credited is not the snare used on the recording. What goes on in the studio often stays in the studio - we know ;)

Yup, I've been there. As a guitar player, waaay back in the '80s. I hated going straight into the board. But that's another thread.

+10000.This discussion has been had here ,ad nausium.Live drums,don't sound like produced and miced drums....ever, period.

Exactly !

AND, I have my snare sounding perfect for the club I play at.
Last night we played an outdoor gig. My snare sounded terrible.

I'm mainly on about Metallica's Black album/load/reload days. You know, back when they were at the top of their game. =)
You mean you don't want to achieve that lovely St Anger snare sound? : P
Probably a dumb suggestion but if it's purely the SOUND you'e after, you can buy the actual snare samples used on the black album using e-drums and VST's.
Obviously you're after an acoustic snare but just thought I'd bring it up in case you were thinking of recording- might be an option for you.

Any Ten lug Metal 61/2"x14" snare drum should work. Reverse dot remo on top, ambassador snare side...snare side tighter than batter. He Usually Uses Gretsch in the studio.

Last edited:
+10000.This discussion has been had here ,ad nausium.Live drums,don't sound like produced and miced drums....ever,period.It dosen't make a difference if you spend 100 bucks or 10,000 bucks.....the results will be the same,because there ar almost infinite variables to account for.Please use the search function,to see exactly what I'm talking about.

Steve B

Sampled snares.... maybe. But that might be as close as you'll ever get.

Well, it depends on the music you're listening to. Almost all of the popular music, metal and otherwise, is processed. If you listen to alot of jazz, especially older jazz, you're hearing things less processed. Bonham wasn't very processed either, nor was Appice in his hey-day. If you do alot of listening, you can start to learn what's processed and what isn't, so no, it doesn't happen to everything you hear, just alot of that crafty pop stuff. It's a shame but it's progress too. Listening to a burning James Brown tune sounds much different to alot of the rap/r&b that stands on James Brown's shoulders :)

I would agree with most of the people here in that chasing a recorded sound might be a bit like chasing your tail.

However, if it was I who was looking for a good Lars Ulrich snare, I would simply go with an older Tama Metal snare like a Vintage TAMA Imperialstar 6.5x14 snare drum. You can find these fairly cheap and it's a pretty nice snare for that sound. Then it is up to you to really take some time, make good head and snare wire selection, and tune that bad boy up. I don't think I would really bother buying a sig snare of his. I liked them up till, and including Justice. (first concert, I was in, like seventh grade or something). Anyway, that is what I would do.

btw... THIS is what his snare sounds like without much help from recording magic.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHufzYK_EfQ

So, there you go. Shoot for that, or just do your own recording and make it sound like whatever you want.

Good luck man.

Last edited:
I would agree with most of the people here in that chasing a recorded sound might be a bit like chasing your tail.

However, if it was I who was looking for a good Lars Ulrich snare, I would simply go with an older Tama Metal snare like a Vintage TAMA Imperialstar 6.5x14 snare drum. You can find these fairly cheap and it's a pretty nice snare for that sound. Then it is up to you to really take some time, make good head and snare wire selection, and tune that bad boy up. I don't think I would really bother buying a sig snare of his. I liked them when up until Justice, (first concert, I was in, like seventh grade or something). Anyway, that is what I would do.

btw... THIS is what his snare sounds like without much help from recording magic.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHufzYK_EfQ

So, there you go. Shoot for that, or just do your own recording and make it sound like whatever you want.

Good luck man.

Sorry to go off topic, but wasn't he a better player at some point? Watching that is like seeing those kids raid the Guitar Center after school (or something).

I'm sure someone will flame me for saying it ;)

Back