The Led Zeppelin deluxe remastered albums

M

Matt Bo Eder

Hey all -

So I guess this week, Jimmy Page has completed remastering all of Zep's studio albums and they are now all available.

I was considering picking up at least the deluxe remastered editions of a couple of favorite Zeppelin albums, but I have to ask after I've given them a listen on both iTunes and Amazon, does anybody hear a big difference?

I have Presence and Physical Graffiti on CD already (before they were re-mastered, I guess just transferred to CD at the time) and between what I have and what I get to sample on iTunes/Amazon, I can't tell the difference.

Can anyone shed light on whether or not they're hearing a difference? Or am I just deaf to the greatness of Mr. Page's work?

Unlike other bands, I haven't out-grown my Zeppelin phase and still enjoy listening to them (I can't say the same thing about KISS), so I figured the Deluxe Remasters would be a nice addition, but listening with headphones on my computer, I can't tell what's been done.

And TBH - I really like the stripped-down sound of the BBC Sessions CDs. It's just unfortunate that those don't include some of my favorite later songs.

I don't own two of the same albums from the early 90's CD release compared to the remastered versions. I only own III from the remastered version, but it sounds pretty good to my ears.

Yes, I believe you can hear a difference in the quality... At least on physical graffiti and also the earlier live album...one thing I did notice as well, I think page shortened Bonzo's drum solo (moby dick) on the live album (song remains the same)....

A few years ago I bought a "remastered" LZ CD that just sounds great. Don't have it nearby, so I can't say which it is, but on "Since I Been Lovin' You" Bonham's pedal is squeaking loudly through the entire song. I love that.

GeeDeeEmm

I have Physical Graffiti and TBH cannot tell much of a difference. some of the bonus tracks are interesting but in my opinion do not rank above the original versions.

I have Physical Graffiti and TBH cannot tell much of a difference. some of the bonus tracks are interesting but in my opinion do not rank above the original versions.

That's what I thought as I went back and forth listening to the snippets on iTunes and then my own CD. I'm more a fan of the music, so I don't need the whole "box" with all the extra info or the outtakes. If the recordings sounded demonstrably better, I'd consider it. But at the same time, I don't know if I want it better as it represents a snapshot of where I was at the time when I first heard it.

Jimmy Page has said that he hated the mix for the live "The Song Remains the Same", but my first impression of it was of seeing it at a theater when I was 10! So that's the version I like.

Matt Bo Eder;1369442 Jimmy Page has said that he hated the mix for the live "The Song Remains the Same" said:
then why did he leave it that way back then?
after what seems to be 2 remastering efforts of all of Zep's work I am not sure what was gained more than more sales. I think he can't leave it alone. Would be nice if Pagey produced some new music after all these years. He has it in him but needs a singer. Percy seems to have done well at standing on his own for decades.

I've heard some of the remastered stuff and to be honest it sounds closer to the original vinyl mix but nowhere near as good.

John Paul Jones has reappeared in the mix. The original remasters sounded a bit compressed and tinny as did the original Beatles remasters but the new mixes of their albums sounds very good as does the Genesis remasters.

The beauty of the original mixes is that the big open sound suited them so an uncompressed format like vinyl is perfect.

I have the full Zep back catalogue on vinyl, wouldn't swap it for the world. Especially when a remastered Physical Graffiti is £37 which is extortion!

As a massive Zep fan, I have all the new re-mixed albums, with the last three - Presence, In Through The Out Door and Coda - having just been re-released in the UK the last few days.

To be honest, the original albums were so well produced for their time that the difference in the new versions is only marginal - to my ears anyway.

Having said that, the 'new' Physical Graffiti - especially the drum sound - is incredible.

There are also a few new tracks and a selection of works in progress on 'companion discs' provided with each album.

An original unreleased faster version of When The Levee Breaks from 1971 has a drum groove which sounds reminiscent of Neil Peart' Tom Sawyer part from a decade later.

And an unreleased instrumental called St Tristan's Sword from 1970 has Bonham and Jones grooving brilliantly like a full-on Motown/Stax rhythm section.

All well worth a listen...

I hope they gave Physical Graffiti a good going over. I find some tracks on that album, like Custard Pie for instance, really midrangey and lacking in bottom.

My understanding is this round of remastering was more about getting all the unreleased bonus tracks and demo outtakes out there.

I suspect Page, feeling his age, wanted to get every thing possible Zep out there on HIS terms so his legacy doesn't end up with 101 posthumous albums of random bit of audio (see Hendrix).

My understanding is this round of remastering was more about getting all the unreleased bonus tracks and demo outtakes out there.

I suspect Page, feeling his age, wanted to get every thing possible Zep out there on HIS terms so his legacy doesn't end up with 101 posthumous albums of random bit of audio (see Hendrix).

I can understand that. I mean, how many times is George Lucas going to release the Star Wars stuff? Not that he needs to go laughing to the bank anymore ;)

Back