Upgrading Mapex Pro M Kit, need help

andy3891

Hi, looking for some advice on a selection of drum kits.

I currently play a Mapex Pro M kit (believe its the 'Stomp' kit) 24" bass drum, 13" tom, 16" & 18" floor toms and I'm looking to upgrade to a better kit.

I'm not too up to date with all the new kits and some of the US import kits that I've been looking at online so I wondered if anyone could help.

Here are the kits I've been looking at:

Mapex

Drumcraft

Pork Pie

All of the kits are far away from where I live so I cant pop down to play them and try them out which is a shame.

If anyone could help please feel free to reply and let me know your thoughts.
Thanks

The kits you picked out would actually be a lateral move,so you wouldn't really be upgrading.All 3 are decent kits with the Pork Pie being a little better in build quality.

If you really want to get a top shelf kit,look into Ludwig Legacy or Keystones,Gretsch USA Customs,DW Collectors,Yamaha Recording customs ect.

You might also look into Blaemire fiberglass drums which are legendary.

Drums are made so well these days that to really notice a big difference in build quality,and sound from mid level kits,you'd have to go top shelf pro grade or custom made by a boutique drum maker.

Memphis drum shop and the Drum center of Portsmouth are just two 5 star shops that have decent sound files on drums and cymbals.Check them out>:)

Steve B

I f you go the custom drum route,make sure it's a kits you'll have for eternity,because the resale value of custon kits is no where near their high initial purchase price.People don't want YOUR custom kit,thay want their own.You MAY recoup 20% in a resale.

Having said that.....you do know that Shine closed their doors and are in bankruptcy right.No kidding.

Steve B

The Pro M's I believe used the Orion shells for a lot of their production run, so you may have what is essentially a top quality kit as it is.

You would probably have to look into the custom shop route or something in the Tama Starclassics price range to actually have an upgrade

The Shine kit was on ebay and after talking to the guy at my local music shop he said the price is a steal (he said it was worth £400 more than the list price) although I'm put off slightly now knowing they've shut down.

I've looked at Starclassics, I just dont know if i've got enough money for a massive upgrade, just wondered if any of these kits would be a step up

I've looked at Starclassics, I just dont know if i've got enough money for a massive upgrade, just wondered if any of these kits would be a step up
No, not really. The Mapex Meridian replaced the Pro M. You're talking about replacing an intermediate level kit with another intermediate level kit.​
As Tamadrm said ...."If you really want to get a top shelf kit,look into Ludwig Legacy or Keystones,Gretsch USA Customs,DW Collectors,Yamaha Recording customs ect."​

Back