What are some of the better custom shells on the market?

skyfire322

Hey everyone! I have been thinking about building a custom kit from scratch. I noticed that Keller is the big name on the market, and has been for awhile, but the only type of wood I have found from them is maple. I would like to get birch shells for either my snare or toms, but I know beggars can't be choosers. After reading some forums, I noticed people have mixed feelings about Keller. Some swear by them, but others say they're the "Wal-Mart" brand of drum shells (shells coming in with cracks, out of round, etc.)

Has anyone worked with Keller shells before? If so, how do they sound? Also, are there any other companies with competitive prices, with different types of wood?

If you want to know what Keller shells sound like,just listen to modern Gretsch USA,or pre 2000 DW,to name a few.Vintage Rogers also used Keller.The Keller website lists all the companys that use their shells,

Keller also makes birch,and maple/mahogany.Eames makes birch shells,and C&C make several hybrid shells as well.

If you're thinking about saving money building the drums yourself,start pricing the hardware,and finiching materials,as well as drilling,and bearing edge cutting.The saving if at all,is not substantial.

Steve B

Pearl used Keller shells when they were building drums in the USA, Ayotte was susposed to have used them at one time or another, Peavey used them for the Radial Pro series of drums and just about all the custom companies that dont make their own shells use Keller. BTW Gretsch also use/used jasper shells and DW still uses some Keller for the larger bass drums or when demand is greater than they can build themselves. Also as a side note rocketshells.com makes some awesome carbon fiber shells, I built a snare from one and it sounds awesome.

Last edited:
If you want to know what Keller shells sound like,just listen to modern Gretsch USA,or pre 2000 DW,to name a few.Vintage Rogers also used Keller.The Keller website lists all the companys that use their shells,

Keller also makes birch,and maple/mahogany.Eames makes birch shells,and C&C make several hybrid shells as well.

If you're thinking about saving money building the drums yourself,start pricing the hardware,and finiching materials,as well as drilling,and bearing edge cutting.The saving if at all,is not substantial.

Steve B

I can't find anything about which major companies use Keller on their website. Does anyone have a list? I have always been curious.

Keller make a very good ply shell. Just like most companies that don't build shells into a finished drum, & therefore don't test them as a finished drum, they sometimes get inconsistencies in their product. Vaughncraft make steam bent shells, & they too have had quality wobbles over the years. Steam bent shells are much more difficult to build than ply shells, & also exhibit very different sonic properties to their ply cousins. A well made steam bent shell will generally out perform a ply shell, but only if every aspect of the finished drum's design is cohesive & considered. Joshuah Tree Percussion, amongst others, offer stave shells for you to complete your build. Same applies to stave as it does steam bent, in terms of quality requirements of shell, eventual build, & potentially superior results.

Essentially, you get what you pay for. The majority of custom drum companies use shells from the three manufacturers mentioned above. There are other suppliers of raw & semi finished shells too, but remember, both custom companies & larger manufacturers who buy these shells, have years of experience in finishing them. This means that not only are they in a better position to finish them appropriately for the sound character they're after, but they're also better at identifying less than well made shells, & rejecting them before putting all that finishing work in.

We make all our own shells in house. From 8" through 32" in stave, steam bent, & segmented constructions, but we don't supply shells, either to other companies or individual self builders. One reason we don't supply others, is that (& this is nothing personal) we don't trust you to finish the drum in a way that celebrates the timber species & construction of the shell, yet it would still carry our name on it.

Think carefully about exactly what you're trying to achieve, especially in terms of sonic character, before going the self build route. If your design is focussed & well researched, then go for it, & good luck on your journey :)

Keller make a very good ply shell. Just like most companies that don't build shells into a finished drum, & therefore don't test them as a finished drum, they sometimes get inconsistencies in their product. Vaughncraft make steam bent shells, & they too have had quality wobbles over the years. Steam bent shells are much more difficult to build than ply shells, & also exhibit very different sonic properties to their ply cousins. A well made steam bent shell will generally out perform a ply shell, but only if every aspect of the finished drum's design is cohesive & considered. Joshuah Tree Percussion, amongst others, offer stave shells for you to complete your build. Same applies to stave as it does steam bent, in terms of quality requirements of shell, eventual build, & potentially superior results.

Essentially, you get what you pay for. The majority of custom drum companies use shells from the three manufacturers mentioned above. There are other suppliers of raw & semi finished shells too, but remember, both custom companies & larger manufacturers who buy these shells, have years of experience in finishing them. This means that not only are they in a better position to finish them appropriately for the sound character they're after, but they're also better at identifying less than well made shells, & rejecting them before putting all that finishing work in.

We make all our own shells in house. From 8" through 32" in stave, steam bent, & segmented constructions, but we don't supply shells, either to other companies or individual self builders. One reason we don't supply others, is that (& this is nothing personal) we don't trust you to finish the drum in a way that celebrates the timber species & construction of the shell, yet it would still carry our name on it.

Think carefully about exactly what you're trying to achieve, especially in terms of sonic character, before going the self build route. If your design is focussed & well researched, then go for it, & good luck on your journey :)

Thanks for that response! I can understand what you're saying about sound character, and I can totally respect your reasons as to why you don't supply shells. This is my first build, so naturally, I'm thinking big. Possibly a little too big. I'm very anal when it comes to even the smallest details, so every little bit helps! :)

I know it would probably be a lot cheaper just to buy a new kit, but I'd like to have something I can be proud of and something I can call my own.

Thanks for that response! I can understand what you're saying about sound character, and I can totally respect your reasons as to why you don't supply shells. This is my first build, so naturally, I'm thinking big. Possibly a little too big. I'm very anal when it comes to even the smallest details, so every little bit helps! :)

I know it would probably be a lot cheaper just to buy a new kit, but I'd like to have something I can be proud of and something I can call my own.
It's well researched detail that differentiates something that looks good & sounds good, from something that sounds great. Start with the sound you want. What do you expect from the drums. Use that as your design platform, & ensure that everything you do is focussed towards achieving that result. Any deviation from your design focus will subtract character & identity from the result. Shell construction, thickness, wood species, & bearing edges are the fundamental elements. Lugs, hoops & support structure should be designed to enhance the key sonic features you identify. Head selection comes after all these other elements have been considered, because heads are something you can change/adjust according to taste. If your desired finish is either a wrap or heavy lacquer, that should be considered in terms of sonic impact should you decide to use thinner shells. Other than these elements, accuracy, accuracy, & accuracy, at every stage.

Good luck :)

My 1998 Collectors sound nothing like USA customs:)

But that would have to be due to number of plys,and bearing edge cut,which would be different with modern Gretsch,as compared to 14 year old DW's,but the're still keller shells.:)

Steve B

Have you considered taking a more measured approach before diving in?

It may be worth your while to hone your building chops on a couple of snare projects first.
Get a decent Keller shell and work through all the funny decisions, compromises, tool orientation, finishing mysteries, etc.

Then get a cool stave shell and apply your building experience to completing that project.

Then, move on to your larger scale project.

Lots of guitar builders get a few crappy necks on which to practice a refret before they begin a project about which they care.

These (relatively) minor investments might help clear your head of countless options and help you focus your best efforts.

I'm sorry that doesn't actually answer your question, but it may help you achieve success and satisfaction with your eventual kit.

Cheers!

Back