Gavin Harrison here!

Hi fearofflying,

I'm glad you like my new CD with 05Ric - thanks for the kind words.

Hi s0nspark,

20" kick
10", 8", 13" 15" mounted toms (in that order left to right, 2 up, 2 down)
13" primary snare (medium tuning)
12" secondary piccolo snare (high tuning)

They're quite strange sizes to me - although I really like a 15x13 as a floor tom. I don't know if the 13 will - I've never tried it.

Hi ItalianRicky,

I need some informations:
1 - have yout cutted away some snares on that drum?
2 - you've mounted an emperor coated, right?
3 - you'll keep this snare with an high pitch?

Unusually for me - I still use the original 24 strand snare wires on that drum. I use a coated Ambassador - tuned to (what I would describe as) medium pitch.

cheers
Gavin

They're quite strange sizes to me - although I really like a 15x13 as a floor tom. I don't know if the 13 will - I've never tried it.

Yes, admittedly they are a little "nonstandard" :) The idea for those tom sizes came straight from the kit Dave Weckl used to play with the first few incarnations of Chick Corea's Electric Band and on his first instructional tape (Back To Basics?)...

Really, I'd like to get a full set of toms, 8" to 16", a 20" and 22" or 24" bass drum and then assemble a 6-7 peice kit as the gig/session requires but... that is a lot more money than I have to spend and carting that stuff around would most likely kill me :) Oh well.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope to catch PT live sometime soon...

Cheers,
s0nspark

Gavin,

I have read you use 13" K hi hats but I have also heard that you use 14" hats. My question is which size hi-hats do you primarily use, and why do you prefer that size?

Also, which ride do you use when you play live? Just a standard K ride or K custom, etc?

Thanks in advance,

Brent

Last edited:
Hi kellycurrie
how are you i think that is "vic firth rock"
Oval tip for a full sound. Great for rock and band.
L=16 5/8", Dia.=.630"
this is very beaufiful drum stick

Angelo

Hi Gavin
How are you
i look your video and see a structure isolate around drum.
can you say about this?
I have a 10x20mt
room with natural reverb but often i can isolate this

many thanks Gavin good work
Angelo

Hi Gavin,

I am a recent fan of yours and Porcupine Tree. I recently watched the Cymbal Song video and really liked it. Do you have anything else similar in plans for anything in the near future? Which cymbals did you use on that song?

Thanks,
Keith

Hi Gavin,

What percentage of the time would you say you're touring verses working in the studio (looking back over the last few years)? Also, how important is it to stay healthy on tours like the one you're on? They are long tours and you're always "moving"! It's got to be draining, right?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi s0nspark,

Really, I'd like to get a full set of toms, 8" to 16", a 20" and 22" or 24" bass drum and then assemble a 6-7 peice kit as the gig/session requires

That's what I like to do if possible - get all the tom sizes. Occasionally the 13 or 15 comes in handy.

Hi gibeachhead,

I have read you use 13" K hi hats but I have also heard that you use 14" hats. My question is which size hi-hats do you primarily use, and why do you prefer that size?

I've been playing 13"s for many years - before that I used 12" ReMix hats. I really like the 13" K hats.

Also, which ride do you use when you play live? Just a standard K ride or K custom,

Just a standard 20" K Ride.

Hi kellycurrie,

What kind of sticks do you use?

As Angelo kindly mentioned they are Vic Firth Hickory "Rock".

Hi Angelo,

i look your video and see a structure isolate around drum- can you say about this?.

Yes they are professional isolation panels - I bought them from a studio supplier. They help me keep a close dry sound if I need it.

Hi Tazdrummer,

I recently watched the Cymbal Song video and really liked it. Do you have anything else similar in plans for anything in the near future? Which cymbals did you use on that song?

Have you seen it on my DVD "Rhythmic Horizons" or the Porcupine Tree "Arriving Somewhere" DVD?
On my DVD there's a Drum Song film too. I can't remember which exact Zildjian cymbals I used on that film without watching it - and I don't have a copy of it with me.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
I'm a recent fan of yours since I went with a friend of mine (great drummer) to the recent Raleigh NC show 10-11-07. I watched some drummerworld.com videos of yours and a live performance PT DVD before going to the show that night. Based on the various videos I saw, I have to admit that I was really looking forward to hearing you play live. I have to say, you certainly did not disappoint. You were so great and tasteful that my friend and I were giddy like little girls. I immediately went out and bought anything I could of your work. I thoroughly enjoyed the show. LOVE your bell cymbals. The opening band was also fantastic. I'm ashamed to say I can't remember the name of the band. Three???

You are, in my mind, one of the most talented drummers out there and the whole band is superb also.

- I heard you were also in a fusion band. If so, is it on sale and what is the name of the band.

Thanks so much

-Ted

Hi Tazdrummer,

I recently watched the Cymbal Song video and really liked it. Do you have anything else similar in plans for anything in the near future? Which cymbals did you use on that song?

Have you seen it on my DVD "Rhythmic Horizons" or the Porcupine Tree "Arriving Somewhere" DVD?
On my DVD there's a Drum Song film too. I can't remember which exact Zildjian cymbals I used on that film without watching it - and I don't have a copy of it with me.

cheers
Gavin

I saw it on the Arriving Somewhere DVD. There looks as if there is a big 16 inch or so china, a 6 and/or 8 inch splash or bell, a 12 inch or so china, a 20 inch or so ride, and maybe a 16 or 18 inch crash?

Hi Stu,
Yes the Zildjian config is correct in a way. It doesn't show all the other alternatives that I have and use. The ride that I use on heavier stuff is a late 1940's Avedis ride with a really nice bell. I use a K Ride 20" when I play live with Porcupine Tree, and the Constantinople in the studio in lighter music. They're really beautiful cymbals the Constantinoples I don't don't want to play them too hard.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin, ive been desperately trying to find something comparable to your teachers old ride (without paying 2k!)..i know you're with zildjian but would you say this dream contact or bliss 20' would do the job?. I dont like the new Armand because its too sweet for my liking. Really want something with a clear seperated bell and the body with little ping but definition for jazz fusion/prog metal.

http://www.dmdrums.co.uk/Dream.htm

Cheersa

Last edited:
I saw it on the Arriving Somewhere DVD. There looks as if there is a big 16 inch or so china, a 6 and/or 8 inch splash or bell, a 12 inch or so china, a 20 inch or so ride, and maybe a 16 or 18 inch crash?

i suppose that are 16" or 15" K crash and a 17" in front of him...And the most right crash seems to be a 18" A custom crash...i don't know if it is an projection or a fast...
The big china at gavin's right is a Z custom china, near the 12" oriental trash chinese and
The K 20" ride.
On Gavin's left we have K 13" hats, 14" oriental china (or 16", i'm not sure)
and the tingle cups.
Splashes...i dunno, maybe 8" and 10" K or A custom splashes?

Hey Gavin,

Hope things are going well on tour. Myself and the Keyboard player from Little Atlas (if you have not checked them out you may like them if you like early Genesis etc..) will see and you and PT tonight in Cinci. It will be my 1st PT show and I look very forward to it. Are you guys playing Hate Song tonight ?

P.S

Try some Cinci Style Chili while your in town if you like that sort of thing. They are known to have the best around. Skyline and Goldstar chili parlors are plentifull in Cinci.

Gavin,

Was last night a typical performance ? Seems to me that you guys were really in to it as was everyone in attendance. I am glad you guys had such a good turn out because I know that it can help fuel the band.

No hate song but oh well because I heard quite a few tunes that were new to me that may have become new favs. Looked like you were playing with controlled abandon last night. Were you improvising a lot ? I dont know if its just the buzz left over from a good concert or what but I have say that I think I saw the best live drum performance of my life last night. I am insipired big time. I hit the drums the moment I got home..... Thanks for the great show....

What was the 2nd song ? You were cracking a smile at the other guys like something happened. I didnt hear anything weird. Just curious..

What was the 2nd song ? You were cracking a smile at the other guys like something happened. I didnt hear anything weird. Just curious..

Gavin and the fellers will always look at each other and laugh randomly during shows, just goes to show the bond they share, its hilarious for no reason :)

I read on a forum that people thought a couple of the songs (Blackest Eyes bieng one of them) were faster some nights and then slower other nights. I didn't have the heart to tell them that they were the same tempo every night. I guess that's people's perception.

cheers
Gavin[/QUOTE]
............................................................................................................................

Strange as it may sound I've had the experience of thinking the click I use live slowed down or sped up on different nights even though I know it's always exactly the same tempo. Maybe it has to do with mood, adrenalin, anticipation or nerves which I personally still suffer from.

...........................................................................................................................

Hi JeffV71,

What percentage of the time would you say you're touring verses working in the studio (looking back over the last few years)? Also, how important is it to stay healthy on tours like the one you're on? They are long tours and you're always "moving"! It's got to be draining, right?

I would say that I've been touring a lot more than recording over the last few years. I try to stay healthy on tour - I don't get drunk and I try my best to eat reasonable things - but it's very random. I do get run down the longer the tour goes on because you never really get a proper night's sleep - and inevitably catch a cold somewhere along the way.

Hi mottnt,
glad you enjoyed the show so much - yes the opening band are called "Three" and they really kick ass!!!!

Hi TomasHakkesBrain,

ive been desperately trying to find something comparable to your teachers old ride (without paying 2k!)..i know you're with zildjian but would you say this dream contact or bliss 20' would do the job?

I can never tell with cymbals until I've played them for a couple of weeks in different situations. I got really lucky with that old ride - but I'd have loved it anyway for sentimental reasons.

Hi Liquid_Drummer,

Looked like you were playing with controlled abandon last night. Were you improvising a lot ? I dont know if its just the buzz left over from a good concert or what but I have say that I think I saw the best live drum performance of my life last night. I am insipired big time.

Thanks - I actually felt like I didn't really have a great night myself. Yes I improvised quite a bit last night and didn't think all of it was really that happening. That's all part of the journey if you set out to improvise. Some things might turn out good and others might not. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Cheers
Gavin

Well Gavin your "not so great night" left me slackjawed more times that I can count. I would have to say that you were right on track and I didnt hear anything that didnt work. Your fills felt right for what was going on and it was inspiring to see how you are able to play so busy yet stay out of the way in all the right places..The way you subdivide fills and come back right on the money just amazed me time and time again.

I really have not given much of the stuff previous to you joining a chance because your drumming in the framework of PT I found to be exactly what I like to hear. Perfect synergy IMHO. There are so many albums previous to you joining. Any suggestions ?

Last edited:
Well Gavin your "not so great night" left me slackjawed more times that I can count. The way you subdivide fills and come back right on the money just amazed me time and time again. I will come see you guys everytime you come near Louisville, Ky from now on. I really have not given much of the stuff previous to you joining a chance because your drumming in the framework of PT I found to be exactly what I like to hear. Perfect synergy IMHO. There are so many albums previous to you joining. Any suggestions ?

Dude get PTs earlier work, its SOOO GOOD! And when Steven Wilson went back and remastered the earlier albums, Gavin did drumming for some of the sky moves sideways and I believe all of Up the Downstair. You can recognize Gavin's playing, and its awesome! Adds so much more to the original track.

Back