Snare Drum Tuning? 14x8 Evans ST Dry Head

crickbutcher

Hello! I have a Noble and Cooley 14x8 Snare drum that I just replaced the snares on it and got a new bottom and top head for it. I am having tons of problems tuning it though.

I can't seem to get the snares to buzz. I like my snares pretty tight with a nice crack but in cant seem to get the snares to buzz. I brought it to a shop when putting the wires on to make sure i did it right and they adjusted them a little in position.

I have the bottom snare head tuned to about 84 degrees using the drum dial. and the top at about 90. any suggestions?

I have another Battlefield Snare drum that is 14x6.5 and i have it tuned 90 on the 80 on the bottom and it sounds amazing! I tried that with the Noble and Cooley and the snares still werent buzzing very well. I also tried adjusting the tension on the snares but had no luck. Anyone know what im doing wrong? and or have any tips?

Thanks,
Crick!

Are the snares fastened with a plastic strip? String? Is it new or old? How tight are the snare wires? Are the retainer screws on tight? Have you tried loosening the reso?

Also, make sure the snare wires aren't on upside down! Make sure the soldered end side is against the drum head so the snare wires sit properly and make sure the snare wires are centered properly when the snare is turned on.

And finally, you did install the snare wires with the throw-off in the off position, right?

Not very useful advice but most people complain about too much snare buzz instead of not enough. That's remarkable.
84 on the reso seems a bit high, maybe try at 80?

It sounds to me that either the snare head isn't tight enough, or the snare wires are too tight.

I don't use a drum dial, so I have no idea how tight 84 is, but I usually tune my snare side to a note somewhere between G# to Bb depending on the drum. Pretty high, but without choking the head. Then with the throw off engaged I loosen the wires until I get no snare sound and tap the batter while tightening the wires, stopping just when the snares don't sound too sloppy anymore.

Once the snare wires and snare head are at a tension where they're both happy it shouldn't really matter much what the batter head is tuned to.

Are the snares fastened with a plastic strip? String? Is it new or old? How tight are the snare wires? Are the retainer screws on tight? Have you tried loosening the reso?

Also, make sure the snare wires aren't on upside down! Make sure the soldered end side is against the drum head so the snare wires sit properly and make sure the snare wires are centered properly when the snare is turned on.

And finally, you did install the snare wires with the throw-off in the off position, right?

I ordered a brand new N+C snare wire. It is string. and I had a shop center it right for me and everything

What type of head did you use on the bottom of the drum? If you used a regular ambassador or the equivalent instead of a proper hazy snare side head, that could cause the problem. Snare side heads are very thin so they have enough sensitivity to excit the snares. Regular heads won't work right.

I have a hazy on the bottom. 1. i think that the bottom head may be a little too tight, and 2. i think my snare wires are just too tight. They are not upside down either

I have a hazy on the bottom. 1. i think that the bottom head may be a little too tight, and 2. i think my snare wires are just too tight. They are not upside down either

A normal tuning range for a snare side head is between G and B, and the batter head a little higher than that I guess.

Check Bob Gatzen's video on snare tuning!

Back