Love Yamaha, but totally PO about Hexrack situation. Anything new out there?

Harry, I think round tube racks get bad raps from guys who either didn't take the time to set it up correctly, were to cheap to set it up correctly, or didn't use any common sense in setting up there rack. The bias against is unfounded and for anyone to dismiss them without actually trying them is silly.

You are obviously free to use whatever you want. I just hate to see misinformation spread...

I'm with 100% on this. I use a normal Gibraltar rack & I have had no issues what so ever. super strong, quick set up everything works great.

Yes the 1st time I put everything together it took a while BUT after that everythings golden.

Andy, glad you've found something..

Harry, as you can see I don't use any memory locks for any of my clamps on my rack. I have never had anything slip, although I'll admit my rack and clamps are not your ordinary run of the mill stuff...

attachment.php
Holy crap Latz, that's not a rack, it's a construction site, lol! Looks very cool. I'm just leaving out to set up for tonight's show. If I had your setup, I'd have left out this time yesterday!

& yes guys, I'm very happy. I cut a deal with Wes, & he's hopefully sending me the rack next week, once we've sorted out shipping. As a side note, Wes is everything you'd expect a good drumming brother to be. Man, there's some great people on here!

As for tube racks in general. I had a tube rack 25+ years ago. Yes, I did have to really tighten stuff down, & sometimes it did slip, but that was old technology, and nothing like the build of today. The engineer in me says that not round makes more sense in terms of stability, etc, but I'm sure the modern stuff is good to go.

Enjoy your racks guys!!!!!

I tried. Your loss. :) Sorry I am just as biased as everyone else. :) I like my drums to stand out, not my rack. To each his own.

As for tube racks in general. I had a tube rack 25+ years ago. Yes, I did have to really tighten stuff down, & sometimes it did slip, but that was old technology, and nothing like the build of today. The engineer in me says that not round makes more sense in terms of stability, etc, but I'm sure the modern stuff is good to go.

Glad you pursued the Yamaha hex rack, KIS, it's gonna look steller with your proto-type drum project.​
And it all came together in a matter of, 1 day, 2 days? Seek, and ye shall find....​

Hey guys ... if round tube works for you ... more power to ya. Personally, I've just seen way too many round tube rack failures on Hollywood stages

You mean "round tube rack USER failures". :) Unless you're speaking about older systems, of which I have no knowledge.

Holy crap Latz, that's not a rack, it's a construction site, lol! Looks very cool. I'm just leaving out to set up for tonight's show. If I had your setup, I'd have left out this time yesterday!

& yes guys, I'm very happy. I cut a deal with Wes, & he's hopefully sending me the rack next week, once we've sorted out shipping. As a side note, Wes is everything you'd expect a good drumming brother to be. Man, there's some great people on here!

Enjoy your racks guys!!!!!

Andy, that monstrosity could be set up in 30 minutes. I usually took my time and it was closer to an hour, but on multiple band bills, it was on and off stage in less than 15 minutes which was much faster than most guys with smaller kits..

Glad you found something you are happy with....

Update to this thread, the Hexrack parts arrived today, whoohoooo! I've been communicating with Wes on this frequently, & just wanted to say what a superb guy he is. Not only was he a joy to deal with, but the stuff arrived exactly as expected, packed with care, & in great condition. What a pleasure it is to deal drummer to drummer, & this site made that possible. Thanks Bernhard!! To anyone wishing to deal with Wes in the future, have no doubt that he's a true gentleman of Drummerworld. Thanks Wes, so much appreciated!

Your drumming brother, Andy.

You mean "round tube rack USER failures". :) Unless you're speaking about older systems, of which I have no knowledge.
http://diy.gibraltarhardware.com/in...your-pearl-rack-to-a-gibraltar-hardware-rack/
Here's a Gibraltar video ... made by them ... note the guy in the video "telling" people to (at around 2:50) to use a memory lock, to avoid "slippage" problems .... and if mounting something real heavy (around 5:10), to use two memory locks, one on each side of the clamp.
Now, the way I figure it, if Gibraltar is addressing slippage issues twice in their own sponsored video, hmmmm ... then maybe, just maybe .... there are slippage issues happening .... or would Gibraltar go to the effort of addressing a non-issue by mentioning it twice in their own video.​
Update to this thread, the Hexrack parts arrived today, whoohoooo!
Glad to hear it's all working out for you ... KIS ... your Yamaha hexrack brotha man ... hc​

Ok, just took these shots while I'm messing with the setup. This rack is not for my Spauns, they just happen to be of similar size.

Attachments

• P5210018-Optimized.JPG
    P5210018-Optimized.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 2,879
  • P5210024-Optimized.JPG
    P5210024-Optimized.JPG
    508.1 KB · Views: 4,804
  • P5210025-Optimized.JPG
    P5210025-Optimized.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 5,344
That beautiful drum kit covered up by that gimmicky looking rack. The horrors. :( Did I say that out loud. :)

That beautiful drum kit covered up by that gimmicky looking rack. The horrors. :( Did I say that out loud. :)
Hahaha, guess I'm just missing a few ton of rocks! Well, buddy boy, when the new kit is ready, I'll shoot some photo's on my boulder & waterfall feature. All 370 tons of it!!!!!!!! I'm all revved up for the "who's got the biggest rock drum riser" pissing contest.

I'm quite pleased with how the rack features the drums actually. Notice there's no cymbals or arms in front or above the toms. That's useful to feature my new (that some will doubtless find ugly) drum design, but also to allow for distance micing of the toms. The basic rack shape idea, I've stolen from Wes.

Hahaha, guess I'm just missing a few ton of rocks! Well, buddy boy, when the new kit is ready, I'll shoot some photo's on my boulder & waterfall feature. All 370 tons of it!!!!!!!! I'm all revved up for the "who's got the biggest rock drum riser" pissing contest.

I'm quite pleased with how the rack features the drums actually. Notice there's no cymbals or arms in front or above the toms. That's useful to feature my new (that some will doubtless find ugly) drum design, but also to allow for distance micing of the toms. The basic rack shape idea, I've stolen from Wes.
You've done a great job with the setup. I am just biased and giving you a hard time. I am glad you did not put all kinds of stuff in front of the drums. That is my biggest complaint with most peoples rack setups. You can't ever see the shells. To me the rack should always just be the support system, not the focal point. That is the main reason I did not go the yamaha route. It is just a bit too flashy. :) The yamaha rack looks better on a sparkle kit in my opinion. Your next step is to try and get all the badges facing out, instead of the mounts. :)

I also like how you kept the main front rack tight around the bass drum. We need to all start a rack club where we can share ideas. We might get into trouble if we call it a rack club. :) Maybe a Drum Structural Support Group. The DSSG

You've done a great job with the setup. I am just biased and giving you a hard time. I am glad you did not put all kinds of stuff in front of the drums. That is my biggest complaint with most peoples rack setups. You can't ever see the shells. To me the rack should always just be the support system, not the focal point. That is the main reason I did not go the yamaha route. It is just a bit too flashy. :) The yamaha rack looks better on a sparkle kit in my opinion. Your next step is to try and get all the badges facing out, instead of the mounts. :)

I also like how you kept the main front rack tight around the bass drum. We need to all start a rack club where we can share ideas. We might get into trouble if we call it a rack club. :) Maybe a Drum Structural Support Group. The DSSG
All's cool, I know you're pulling my string. There's a few things we can agree on. The first is, this would be the wrong rack for the Spaun. It detracts too much from the simple lines. That said, the Spaun is a gigging kit, & the Pearl Icon rack is very fussy by comparison to this setup, but it is a catch all setup & it's a fast setup & breakdown.

The new kit design needs no such subtlety. It'll take the Yamaha rack head on in the bling departement. Again, the look of the drums will be challenging to many, but this new baby's all about the sound, & the design dictates the look, not the other way around.

Just to repeat, the "snug up" around the kick drum design is a straight theft from Wes.

OK. Who is Wes and what new drums are you talking about. Are they a secret until you get them done?

OK. Who is Wes and what new drums are you talking about. Are they a secret until you get them done?
Wes is the DW member I bought the rack from. He shipped them to me from Holland last week. His kit is pictured further down this thread, complete with this rack (Wes just sold me the rack parts, he's kept the booms & other gear).

As for the new kit, oh yes, huge secret. A genuine world first, & they'll be revealed exclusively here first. A long time in the design & tooling phase, we're now on the home run. Should be assembling them in 3-4 weeks time. This rack + a completely new set of Amedia Dervish cymbals are all specifically for this new design of kit.

I will be waiting on pins and needles. :) What is the expected due date

Back