Sellers Remorse...ehh?

Morbid Koala

Do you ever find yourself wanting to change up kits but in order to make the purchase possible you would, sensibly, sell one of your old kits that you may not play anymore but has a certain place in your heart?

I have an old vistalite kit I don't use anymore (and haven't in quite a while) and want to finance a stainless steel kit.

Selling them would sure be a whole lot easier to finance the new set.....

ech.

I hear ya. See my avatar, it's a Tama BellBrass I sold it to finance my oak yamahas. I guess I could have waited... I swear it's still the best snare I've ever heard - period

I've sold a few snares that I miss sometimes. A Pearl Ian Paice and a Yammy Mussashi come to mind. Oh well, I usually get what I pay if not a small profit. Also those 2 went to friends so I'm happy they are being used. I like having a few snare drums that I'd never sell, but always messing around with 1-2 that are always swapping out with trades/selling. Like right now I'm looking to swap a black magic, because I really just don't like the 13" size.

I sold a Rogers kit after quitting playing for almost a decade. I was hanging on for sentimental reasons but finally bit the bullet and sold them off. Six months later I received a phone call ...

So I've spent my hard earned on an inferior kit.

Koala, chances are you'd sell and soon afterwards get an offer to play in a high profile Led Zep tribute band :) No chance, you say?

I'd quit music entirely. I was hanging out in a totally new scene and knew zero musicians. I was into graphics and web design. At some point I'd casually mentioned to a web designer friend that I played drums in a number of bar bands back in the 80s. He told me he sometimes sang doing drag shows. Turns out he had a friend who was in a band and their drummer had a tantrum so they were all in the room with their instruments and an empty drum kit ... then my friend remembered what I'd told him years before and I received a phone call ...

Fast forward three years and he's my band's singer. Life can be very strange ...

Last edited:
Ha! I have an easy remedy for this problem...

Don't sell anything. EVER!

I've never sold a single piece of equipment, I'm a hoarder!

I sold one set of drums - a 1980's entry level Ludwig kit with power toms. Even though it wasn't much of a kit I'd still like to have it back. That experience has turned me into a hoarder. Never sell any drum related thing ever. You'll regret it I promise you. Especially don't sell something with some historic value like those Vistalites. They'll haunt you forever. It'll be dark in your bedroom and little tom toms with bedsheets over their heads will be flying around your room. "Moooooorrrrbiiiiid! Why did you seeeeeelllll us?"

Last edited:
I hear ya on the sellers remorse. It will come back and bite you on the backside. I have sold off more good gear than I care to remember, but the worst remorse I have now is over two kits. The first being an 8 piece Tobacco Sunburst Rogers kit that I bought in '79/'80 and it was just stunning. Double 24's, single headed concert toms,18"floor and a Dynasonic snare of the day. Sold those to scale back and purchased a 4 piece Ludwig Stainless Steel...26",14",18", LM402 and a few stands. I don't EVEN remember why those were sold. I would steal from the Vatican to get those back...don't sell unless you are in dire straits. You'll regret it. Signed---a sad, lonely boy.

Ha ha ha! I know, man. It's just a whole lot easier for guitar players to be hoarders than drummers.

I have three kits sitting in the rafters (not including my daily driver) and they all (obviously) have their own sound so it's mighty hard justifying letting any of them go.

I guess I wanted validation for my hoarding and it looks like I got it!

One can only hoard so much. I have 4 complete kits, and one more uncomplete I'm building piece by piece. Full kits take up a lot of room, my house is stacked with drumcases. As much as I'd like to get more stuff I can't really fit it anywhere haha.

Singing in drag shows .... now that's something you don't hear every day! Bet he has lots of stories to tell!

GJS

Singing in drag shows .... now that's something you don't hear every day!

Yup, and definitely not on a macho place like a drum forum and yes, he's passed on many tales from The Dark Side :)

I've lost count of the number of times people have heard our tracks and assume we have a woman singer.

Once/if we start gigging regularly he's talked about bringing the "old girl" out of retirement to add to the show side of things, but ... he's given most of his drag persona's old gear away to op shops to clear some space. To Hoard or Not to Hoard goes beyond drums ...

Back