UFIP CYMBALS - Anyone out there tried them yet?!

gweinst

Hi all,

I was at my local drum shop the other day which stocked Ufip cymbals. I had heard of them before and see them advertised on ebay quite often but I was intriqued this time to actually try them out (I own a set of Zildjian's from A's to, K's etc).

WOW! I was blown away! The "Class" series hi hats and crashes are just amazing. So too are the "Extatic" series ride cymbals and the "Natural" series rides and crashes! I am converted!!

I am now planning to get rid of my 15+ Zildjian cymbals and replace with a dynamic set of Ufips!

Keen to get your thoughts....

Check out this on Youtube that showcases the Ufips nicely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnMIPk0RSLk

Cheers
Gweinst

I bought my Ufip crash and ride back in 1980. Great cymbals then. Great cymbals now.

Beautiful cymbals, but Im not convinced of their durability. Perhaps it the rotocasting method, but Ive had to deal with many cracked ones.

I have a ufip 20 " class med weight ride,has a real pretty crystaline ping,a lot like some really sweet old a zils I have played,I am using a k heavy with the classic rock band I am in,It cuts a little better.But the ufip works well too,it more fills up and reinforces at that volume level,and it works fantastic on ballads and blues gigs,and with any sort of warmer tube amplification.There is one store in atl that has a few left,one is a 17' bionic crash that I think would work well with the classic rock band,I may have to make an offer after I get my tax return.

Have Crash Brilliant series 18" and loved its sound. But it just cracked in 2 places (opposite directions, in a circular orientation, not in the edge). So, there could be something wrong with their production process. UFIP rep from Italy told me to make a small hole in the edge of each crack to stop the process. I did it but now the cymbal is sounding trashier, not good. Last option is to transform it into a 12" cymbal, maybe I can use it as a bell or something similar.
I have replaced it by an 18" K medium thin crash, however it sounds darker and heavier than the UFIP. Despite the cracking episode, I'm still planning to get a Class Series 16" crash.

Have yet to find a video where I liked the sound. I dunno, just not liking them at all.

wow, surprised to hear that you guys are having problems with cracking cymbals. Then again I am always surprised by this. I always have bought thin thin cymbals and never cracked a one.

have a few crashes and a ride all experience series- love um! quality seems great to me.

A friend of mine has a UFIP ride and hats and they sound AWESOME! Ive tried to trade my Zildjian A cymbal pack for them but he wont bite.

These sound pretty interesting..
Can anyone fill me in on a rough idea as far as price range. Maybe compared to Zildjian or Sabian price lines?

I switched from Sabian to UFIP last year and wrote a piece on my blog
http://www.graham-collins.com/drummer/index.php/blog-mainmenu-9/68-ufip-a-cymbal-epiphany

Since then I have added these:-
UFIP Bionic Ride 22" 3484g
UFIP Bionic Crash 19" 1876g
UFIP Bionic Crash 17" 1382g
UFIP Bionic Crash 16" 1210g
UFIP Bionic Hi-Hats 14" 1212/1408g
UFIP Class China Splash 12" 500g
UFIP Class Splash 8" 165g

Stunning cymbals, nothing else like them and I hope to be adding some more in the next few months.

They are also now back in North America, so check them out!

Hi all,

I was at my local drum shop the other day which stocked Ufip cymbals. I had heard of them before and see them advertised on ebay quite often but I was intriqued this time to actually try them out (I own a set of Zildjian's from A's to, K's etc).

WOW! I was blown away! The "Class" series hi hats and crashes are just amazing. So too are the "Extatic" series ride cymbals and the "Natural" series rides and crashes! I am converted!!

I am now planning to get rid of my 15+ Zildjian cymbals and replace with a dynamic set of Ufips!

Keen to get your thoughts....

Check out this on Youtube that showcases the Ufips nicely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnMIPk0RSLk

Cheers
Gweinst

Its easy to become enamored with something new and different.I would wait a while before dumping your present cymbal arsenal,and maybe just buy a few of the better sounding ones,to see if your style of playing works with UFIP's.The company has been around for a while so thay are not the new boutique cymbal on the market.I too have read ,although I can't remember where there are cracking issues with some of their lines.Check out Cymbalholic.com for better info.Those guys know stuff about cymbals thats just freaky.Good luck

Steve B

Just received my new UFiP's last week and absolutely love them. I purchased a 20" Rough Ride, a 18" Rough Crash, and a 18" Natural China. Dropped just over $900.00 for all three which did include shipping. The only issue I have is how pingy the ride is but it will suffice great as a second/third ride. The bell tone is out of this world on both the ride and the crash, and the crash is also a rideable pie. The china is by far, absolutely, the best china I have ever owned, and it is also a very rideable cymbal that sounds fantastic. I am a definite supporter of the UFiP product and will spread the word.

Cracking cymbals ? I will be honest, I have been playing a very, very long time and have never ever cracked a cymbal. The cracking of a cymbal in "my personal" opinion is more than likely an operator error issue. Believe it or not there is actually a technique to be used in hitting cymbals (not saying you do not know this just putting this out there once again). For pricing and more info contact Jim at Offbeat Music www.ufipman.com . He was great to deal with and very informative.... The cymbalholic forum is also great and you will find alot of info on that site. If you do in fact have a store that carries them by all means go and try them out (good luck, no stores in my area carried them). I am looking at a second purchase very soon for a set of hats and more crashes...Good luck...

Attachments

• TattoosDrums 029.jpg
    TattoosDrums 029.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 3,818
Way overpriced. I like my Zildjians.

No argument with the price but I am very pleased and have no problem dishing out the cash for a great product. Still keeping most of my Zildjian cymbals, only got rid of a 10" Splash and a set of 13" Mastersound aux hats. Still love my Zildjians also...

When GC opened their first store here in Houston in the mid 90's(?), they had some Ufips around a couple of kits on their sales floor. I had heard of them but never actually played any until that time. Don't remember the Series, but the hats and ride cymbal were butter. I had never heard anything so smooth in my life. A little pricey for me at that time, but they rank right up there with Paiste Signatures for me...flame away!

Just wanted to chip in as a UFiP player - their cymbals are all round fantastic, and amazing. Surprisingly, they aren't as ridiculously overpriced here in Australia as most other cymbals, and so are an extremely good option. I own 16", 17" and 18" crashes in the Class and Extatic seris, a 10" splash in the Rough series (which cuts through anything) and an 18" China from the Experience series. I'm also currently looking for a set of 14" Class hats... but I'm yet to be fully convinced by their rides.

You can't go wrong with UFiP. I've not had any crack on me yet, and I've been playing them for a good couple of years now.

Back