It just goes to show ------

Andy

Honorary Member
Wind back a few gigs, & a member of a working man's club committee catches us at a couple of gigs, & becomes a fan. He asks us to play his members club. It's a big club, the main room holding 500+, good stage, but in the UK, a working man's club is the last place you'll ever find a rock band, even one as mainstream as ours. Usually uber benign trios & similar low end "cabaret" acts tread these boards sandwiched between the Bingo session & ticket raffles for a bottle of cheap wine.

After much pestering, & stating they want to change the venue image by bringing in "different" acts, we give in & agree a booking.

Wind forward to last night. We haul in a modest (for us) setup, soundcheck (on stage mix position only), & retire to the bar until first set time. 10 minutes before we go on, there's 5 paying punters in the audience. There's perhaps another 20 punters in the club, & to say they're not our usual demographic is understatement of the decade. We find out that the club hasn't advertised because "we're a members only club, so can't admit the general public because of our constitution". Ok, this is going to be terrible. Our attitude switches to paid practice, & we kick off the first set.

To our surprise, within 10 minutes of starting, 50+ people enter the room. Partly from the Bingo session next door, & partly from new arrivals. 50 is all we had all night, but to our utter amazement, they were the most enthusiastic & vocal "crowd" you could wish for. Despite the disparity between venue & audience size, we had a great night, sold numerous Tshirts, etc, etc. I must reiterate, desperately avoiding disparaging characterisations, this audience was so far removed from a rock crowd, it's untrue.

Just goes to show, you can never predict a gig situation, & you should always play the room like it's a full house.

Here's a very brief clip, purely to show the stage setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgXAbo16TCg&feature=youtu.be

I royally screwed up the camera settings, hence the distortion & imbalance :(

SUPER !!

You certainly get around! One minute the Farm Festival, then Houston, now back home again.

Your experience with the working man's club is surprisingly similar to South Australia. There are two 'British Workingman's Clubs' in Adelaide, both started by post war migrants 50+ years ago. The crowd is now in their 70's, and they've just recently stopped opening each night with 'God Save the Queen'. My 50/60's band played at one in August, with instructions for 'no loud or fast rock n' roll', so we cut all the fastest songs from our setlist. Only about 15 people at dinner, then once we started 40 or 50 appeared from nowhere and danced all night. We all had a great time. Sounds almost like the same gig, across the other side of the world. Different style of music though - we did lots of Elvis, Cliff Richard, early Beatles and Stones.

those poor punters....im glad that video has a dislike button, it felt great to press it! and I didnnt misspell anything this time smart a$$.

I find similar to you in life as a whole. So often the things we have high hopes for turn out to be a let down. Conversely some things we have little expectations of turn out to be some of the best experiences.

My wife once dragged me to Bristol to see Newton Faulkner. I had little expectations of the gig but I absolutely loved it. He was supported by a guy called Jake Morley - similar in style to Newton but he was pretty darned good too.

This is Jake if anyone's interested: https://youtu.be/8ShKWue32sE

Loved the stage set up, Andy, and the sound quality was good to me too!

Last edited:
You certainly get around! One minute the Farm Festival, then Houston, now back home again.

Your experience with the working man's club is surprisingly similar to South Australia. There are two 'British Workingman's Clubs' in Adelaide, both started by post war migrants 50+ years ago. The crowd is now in their 70's, and they've just recently stopped opening each night with 'God Save the Queen'. My 50/60's band played at one in August, with instructions for 'no loud or fast rock n' roll', so we cut all the fastest songs from our setlist. Only about 15 people at dinner, then once we started 40 or 50 appeared from nowhere and danced all night. We all had a great time. Sounds almost like the same gig, across the other side of the world. Different style of music though - we did lots of Elvis, Cliff Richard, early Beatles and Stones.
This is a great story, & yes, very similar to my experience last night. However, I do think you were on much safer / more familiar ground compared to our material. Anything between Floyd & Van Halen is a tough swallow for the Bingo / floral dress brigade. A quote from a senior lady on the night "I've never seen a rock combo before, & I rather liked it - can I buy a Tshirt?" :)

those poor punters....im glad that video has a dislike button, it felt great to press it! and I didnnt misspell anything this time smart a$$.
What a nipple! ;)

One of several :)

SUPER !!

Thanks Jim!

I find similar to you in life as a whole. So often the things we have high hopes for turn out to be a let down.
Can absolutely be the case, exactly as in your story. Recording of the whole gig is distorted. I could explain, but that would make me feel even more foolish than I already feel :(

No expectations, No disappointments.
True, but aspirations get in the way :)

working men's clubs? so are these like golf country clubs or legions or even football clubs?

This is a great story, & yes, very similar to my experience last night. However, I do think you were on much safer / more familiar ground compared to our material. Anything between Floyd & Van Halen is a tough swallow for the Bingo / floral dress brigade. A quote from a senior lady on the night "I've never seen a rock combo before, & I rather liked it - can I buy a Tshirt?" :)

What a nipple! ;)

One of several :)

Thanks Jim!

Can absolutely be the case, exactly as in your story. Recording of the whole gig is distorted. I could explain, but that would make me feel even more foolish than I already feel :(

True, but aspirations get in the way :)

That's why humans survive

Sounds like it turned out to be a better gig than you expected. I had the opposite experience last month. I just started jamming with a couple new guys a few months ago; just bass and guitar. The bass player told me a week ahead of time that we had a house party gig to play. I was told we'd get food and drinks for compensation. I was up for it because I love playing house parties. Only catch was that I had to play the e-kit (which I hate).

So the day comes, we get loaded up and head out. It was kinda rainy that day. We get to the place up a windy road in a hilly area, and it turns out to be his brother's house. Nobody showed up for a party. There was no hint that a party was even planned. Only the band, the homeowners, and their son with fiancee in tote were there. That's it. Band practice. I only got one beer, a Corona (which I abhor), and two slices of OK pizza. Little Ceasar's is nothing to hoot and holler about. I left as early as I could.

working men's clubs? so are these like golf country clubs or legions or even football clubs?

Sadly, no. Think back to 1973 and you have the working mens club. There were, perhaps still are, lots in the North of England and we played a couple back in the day. I visited one, three years ago, to see my brother in law play with his swing band. I walked in, after being signed in by a member, and thought "Bloody hell its 1973" not just the decor but the punters and the atmosphere. "Play something we know" is usualy the mantra of the average CIU punter.

Sadly, no. Think back to 1973 and you have the working mens club. There were, perhaps still are, lots in the North of England and we played a couple back in the day. I visited one, three years ago, to see my brother in law play with his swing band. I walked in, after being signed in by a member, and thought "Bloody hell its 1973" not just the decor but the punters and the atmosphere. "Play something we know" is usualy the mantra of the average CIU punter.
Spot on answer, especially poignant is "play us something we know", & that was the surprise in the reaction at our gig. Honestly, with our set, you'd stand a better chance of going down well in a retirement home than in a British working men's club!

Sounds like it turned out to be a better gig than you expected.
Yes, considering the expectation was so low, exceeding it wasn't the surprise, it was by how much :)

Sorry to hear of your experience. I assume you didn't play with those jokers again?

Still loads of them here in the North-West. They very rarely have a band on, must a solo act or duo, with a big fluorescent poster in the lobby/foyer advertising "Brilliant guitar vocal" or "Fantastic vocal duo" for a below average act playing to backing tracks while the punters wait for the bingo.

They very rarely have a band on, must a solo act or duo, with a big fluorescent poster in the lobby/foyer advertising "Brilliant guitar vocal" or "Fantastic vocal duo" for a below average act playing to backing tracks while the punters wait for the bingo.
Exactly - and how much those "acts" sometimes get paid is a shocker to me. Don't get me wrong, I'll never diss a musician for earning a crust, but honestly, some of them are truly terrible. Strangely, despite how badly they suck, they often go down really well. Perhaps that's why we went down so well - awe crap, I'm missing something here :(

Exactly - and how much those "acts" sometimes get paid is a shocker to me. Don't get me wrong, I'll never diss a musician for earning a crust, but honestly, some of them are truly terrible. Strangely, despite how badly they suck, they often go down really well. Perhaps that's why we went down so well - awe crap, I'm missing something here :(

It's a shame what has happened to the Social Clubs here (Black Country), the sad thing is they're still going and they have huge function rooms 300+ and they don't have live music, only a 1 or 2 person karaoke. Sorry, self contained artists!

My folks made a fortune in the 70s just doing the working clubs in a 20 mile radius when the big industry was here and have some terrible photos involving my dad in a green jump suit hahaha glam rock!

We tried to get on the club circuit as a little earner for Fridays and when wedding season is quiet, they're local and we can do mid week as well with work but you are totally undercut by solo and duos who are really bad. We did a couple of showcases and realised quite quickly this wasn't for us, even though we were asked to do encores after a 30min showcase.

The punters still love the bands but the entertainment secretaries won't pay for them. We went out at a low price (£300) or £75 each (Shopping, petrol and maybe a cheeky tipple money) each which is less than a solo act would earn but we're still £270 more than they'll pay if they can help it. It sucks because people will come out to see a good live band and more importantly put more money behind the bar than a solo or a duo act.

Anyone who wonders what a working mens club is like, watch Pheonix Nights by Peter Kay, comedy gold!

punter noun [C] (GAMBLER)
› UK a ​person who ​gambles (= ​risks ​money ​guessing the ​result of something):
Bookmakers are ​offering punters ​odds of 6–1 on the ​horse ​Red Devil ​winning the ​race.
punter noun [C] (CUSTOMER)
› UK informal a ​customer; a ​user of ​services or ​buyer of ​goods:
Many ​hotels are ​offering ​discounts in an ​attempt to ​attract punters/​pull in the punters.
› UK slang a ​person who uses the ​services of a ​prostitute
punter noun [C] (BOAT)
› a ​person who ​travels in a ​punt
(Definition of punter from the Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)

I will assume that you mean the first and not the third definition. :)

It's a shame what has happened to the Social Clubs here (Black Country), the sad thing is they're still going and they have huge function rooms 300+ and they don't have live music, only a 1 or 2 person karaoke. Sorry, self contained artists!
Yes, this is the big shame. A whole circuit of potentially superb music venues destined to crumble along side their patrons who resist change at all costs.

Anyone who wonders what a working mens club is like, watch Pheonix Nights by Peter Kay, comedy gold!
Yes, although it's a p6$$ take, it's unnervingly accurate ;)

› UK a ​person who ​gambles (= ​risks ​money ​guessing the ​result of something):
Bookmakers are ​offering punters ​odds of 6–1 on the ​horse ​Red Devil ​winning the ​race.
Many ​hotels are ​offering ​discounts in an ​attempt to ​attract punters/​pull in the punters.
punter noun [C] (BOAT)
(Definition of punter from the Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)

In this context Jeff, the second definition, although definition 3 wouldn't surprise me either ;)

punter noun [C] (BOAT)

2nd definition sir, otherwise known as patrons, locals, drinkers, natives. There's lots of canals round here but never seen anyone punting on them but that would be funny.

Back