Yamaha finish touch up (what top coat/products to use to fix minor damage)

Liaztraht

Silver Member
Oh the joys of gigging. I have a few nicks and scratches in the kick of my stage custom kit. I know how to do general finish repairs but I am not sure what Yamaha uses for their clear coat.
I went natural for easy repairs.

I'm not looking for a 100% flawless finish, just looking to blend in the nicks and scratches. Anyone know what kind of finish they used? Lacquer? Poly? I have most of my experience in water based and vinyl finish repairs from working in a cabinet shop, but I don't know which to use for a touch up on these drums.

Thanks for any input.

The worst one is pictured.

Attachments

• 20190218_132944.jpg
    20190218_132944.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 126
I would use some wipe on interior poly and feather it out in very thin coats. I can't tell b ut it looks to be a satin finish.

Yamaha doesn’t use Nitro-cellulose lacquer, they use polyester lacquer .
Good to know, thanks!

I would use some wipe on interior poly and feather it out in very thin coats. I can't tell b ut it looks to be a satin finish.
Easy enough. I can even get a hold of some wood toned putty to blend any deep scratches.

I think it was the angle that made it look satin. It's their latest generation gloss stage customs.

I don't see any nicks or scratches, just what looks like a piece of paper towel on there.

I don't see any nicks or scratches, just what looks like a piece of paper towel on there.

I thought the same thing when I saw it, but something impacted it, and it's dented inward. Don't know what did it. Its on the top half, but well below where my toms sit.

If it can't be buffed out with pure car polish (not car wax), try a uv cured fill with some fly tying head cement. It's clear and when you get it just right, bring it out into the sun and it'll cure in a few seconds.

Sounds like your bass player has some explaining to do...

Funy thing though... My bass player is very competent and treats gear respectfully. It's the guitarist as vocalist to watch for!

Back