Older Tama Lugs - Bending and or cracking around mounting holes??

JerryJ

Hey Folks,
I had no idea that Tama snare lugs could bend or crack in the inside (I live a bit of a sheltered life : ) I just bought a Tama 10 lug, 6.5 X 14 steel snare on e-bay for super cheap (early- mid '90's?). I started to take it apart and noticed sure enough that the mounting holes and supports on about half of the snare lugs were bent. So, this is what I did to try and repair them - what do you guys think? Will this work at all??
First I took a wood block and rubber mallet and pounded on the protruding part of the mounting holes to get them back to 90 degree angles. (I cracked the inside of 1 of them - behind the threads - the rest I could bend back with no cracking.) Then I used JB Weld (around both sides of each mounting hole) to reinforce them to stay in one place (double amounts on the cracked one). Then a layer of steel putty (both sides), then a little more JB weld - more to make them all look the same I guess. I found sheets of 1/32" neoprene black rubber ($3.50 a sheet!) to cut new gaskets. (Tama wants $6 each! - way too pricey.)
But anyway, this was the first time I tried to repair something like this, do you think it will work at all? I did the repair work before I read about Tama lugs. Thanks - JJ
P.S. Anyone know anything about this snare? Never see them used anywhere.

Attachments

• 529a.jpg
    529a.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 522a.jpg
    522a.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 123
  • 524b.jpg
    524b.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
When I brought up the subject of bending, breaking lugs here on DW 100 years ago, no one could believe how common broken lugs are.

The fact of the matter is, if your snare has seen hi tension there's a great chance your lugs are bent, and/or possibly near breaking. This is very common with pot metal lugs, TAMA is not the only co, YAMAHA, LUDWIG and manufacture that uses monkey metal for its lugs.

JB WELD isn't going to hold BTW, its new lug time. Maybe that stuff that melts at 700 degrees f (ALUMA WELD(?)), but it'd probably destroy the chrome.

Yep, probably need to keep an eye out on ebay for spare lugs. These larger lugs look like MSL36's (from the parts catalog), but I only see the smaller MSL35's for sale. ($21 a pop too).
It sucks that they would use this cheap metal for lugs (even on their higher end gear)!

It sucks that they would use this cheap metal for lugs (even on their higher end gear)!
The material is dictated by the process as much as cost - the whole process choice being dictated pretty much by cost. Almost all die cast lugs are produced from zinc alloy. It's both cheap, & easy to process. Aluminium based alloys can be used, & they're generally a bit stronger, but of course, more expensive.

Investment cast lugs would offer far superior characteristics, but are much more expensive, & depending on the form, require much more finishing work. Top of the line in terms of performance is machined from solid, but usually only reserved for more simple forms (i.e. tube lug posts) due to the high cost of machining intricate forms. Complexed forms in high quality materials machined from solid are prohibitively expensive. The performance & visual delivery is second to non, but very few drummers will ever pay that premium.

The JBWeld might work, or it might not. It depends almost entirely on the surface preparation. The surfaces joined must be meticulously cleaned, and the JBWeld must have something to "bite" into - ie, a roughed-up surface. Most people have little faith in JBWeld, but I can tell you from experience in small engine repair that it will work in high stress situations if used correctly. I've found that the "slow set" version works best.

With all that said, your best bet in the long run is to watch ebay closely and pick up some used lugs, or go to one of the drum supply companies and buy new lugs that will fit.

GeeDeeEmm

Well, I guess we'll see if it works. I did use the slow set kind of JB Weld. I didn't really do any cleaning other than dusting the area out and making sure it was clean looking. The surface on the inside of the lugs looked like a rougher surface to me.
I did a coating of the JB Weld on both sides just around where the mounting holes are, let it cure, then packed in some steel putty around both sides (and across the inside of the lug), let that set then used a little more JB Weld to fill in any gaps I missed. You can see the inside of one lug that I finished in the photos I posted. I thought it won't hurt to overdo it and it may break anyway.
But I got my feelers out for those Tama MSL36 lugs. If anyone here has any to spare, I'll take them off your hands no problem. Thanks

Last edited:
Back