Your thoughts on Intermediate Kits

helmetface

Alright peoples, I really can't justify spending $1500 on an amazing kit, but I've talked the wife into letting me drop around $600-700 for the time being(until the time comes for new cymbals)

My favorites in this price range are looking to be:

Gretsch Catalina(birch)
Mapex Meridian(birch)
Tama Imperialstar

Sonor/DW/Ludwig Comparable?

I want to know what my options are before I make the jump. I'm not looking for a bop kit, and I would prefer a 6 piece..love having the different voices..but it isn't 100% necessary at the moment.

I found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tama-Imperi...ltDomain_0&hash=item3cbe3ef225#ht_1884wt_1392

And, I'm wanting to jump on it..but the price is a little high for me..and I don't need the hardware..I already have awesome pearl gear.

Thanks for anything anyone can add that aids me in my decision!

I don't think DW has a kit in that range, but PDP(owned by DW) probably does.

Then there's:

Sonor Force 2007(birch? I think)
Ludwig Element and Epic

You could probably find something better around the same price range if you go used as well.

I wouldn't pay that much for an Imperialstar kit. No way, no how. I'd get Silverstars before Imperialstars.

Not sure if you need hardware and cymbals...but for 700 bucks you could find a really nice pro-level used kit.

I picked up my Tama Starclassic birch kit (6 piece) for 500 bucks. Deals are out there if you're willing to look.

I wouldn't pay that much for an Imperialstar kit. No way, no how. I'd get Silverstars before Imperialstars.

Not sure if you need hardware and cymbals...but for 700 bucks you could find a really nice pro-level used kit.

I picked up my Tama Starclassic birch kit (6 piece) for 500 bucks. Deals are out there if you're willing to look.

Ya, I didn't have the best luck with used kits after looking at a few, just not in the condition I'd expect.

But thanks for the heads up. And I don't need cymbals/hardware.

Why's that one so cheap?

I see the same kit everywhere else for 1300-1400?

Thanks!

I don't know. Sure wish I had an extra thousand laying around though. That's a sweet deal. maybe they're not selling in that color and they are discontinuing it. Who knows?

I 2nd the thought of staying away from an Imperialstar for that kind of money..Thats crazy imo.

I also agree that a used kit is the way to go, but I understand sometimes ya just want new.

Out of the 3 you listed I would get the mapex meridian over the other 2 especially the Catalina's but thats just me I do not like the suspension system on the catalina's and I think it is the same thing that is on the renowns but it may be slightly diffrent.

Look at the Tama Silverstars that someone else suggested, they are gorgeous and sound very nice judging from the 2 I played around with in the store. I may even go with the Tama silverstars over the Meridians but it would probably just come down to color choice.

I don't know. Sure wish I had an extra thousand laying around though. That's a sweet deal. maybe they're not selling in that color and they are discontinuing it. Who knows?

I love the color, I just want more than a 3pc..and I know buying the additional toms would be real pricey.

I 2nd the thought of staying away from an Imperialstar for that kind of money..Thats crazy imo.

I also agree that a used kit is the way to go, but I understand sometimes ya just want new.

Out of the 3 you listed I would get the mapex meridian over the other 2 especially the Catalina's but thats just me I do not like the suspension system on the catalina's and I think it is the same thing that is on the renowns but it may be slightly diffrent.

Look at the Tama Silverstars that someone else suggested, they are gorgeous and sound very nice judging from the 2 I played around with in the store. I may even go with the Tama silverstars over the Meridians but it would probably just come down to color choice.

I'm not a huge fan of the colors, but I really like this setup:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...verstar-vk-limited-edition-7-piece-shell-pack

I'd say go for those Renowns. You will never find a better kit for that price.

I say go for Mapex Meridians. The shells are quite good, and the lugs and mounting hardware are all good. Good luck.

No doubt in my mind........buy used.This is almost 50 years of experience talking.You will get much better sound (thats the most important thing right)and overall better built quality.

Buying used will almost double your buying power.Search Guitar Centers used national inventory.There are hundreds of kits availabe from vintage to modern drums and cymbals.Theres also Ebay.Lots of good used stuff out there.

For the kind of budget you have,buying new is going to get you an entry level kit.It may look pretty,but may ultimately frustrate you with bad sound and playability.Tuning and heads are the most important thing,but some entry level kits are made so badly...you just can't tune them.Think it over.Form vs function...the choice is clear.

Steve B

I love the color, I just want more than a 3pc..and I know buying the additional toms would be real pricey.

I was just showing what else was available in that price range. Something to consider while you're considering. I'm sure another tom would cost a few hundred.

With the new line of Drums Sonor has brought out recently It might be a good idea to look out for a second hand Force 3007 (maple). I wouldn't be surprised if you could fetch one of those for roughly 600$ (including hardware) and they have an excellent reputation.

Does anyone know anything about the Sonor Special Edition?

No 2007, 3007 stuff just known as a 'special edition'

Thanks!

3007s are AMAZING drums ...

That's a deal ... to me it's a no brainer AND the natural finish makes it easy to add on other drums

Back