Disappointing Interpretations

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I was watching videos on this guy's youtube channel today, and I found a cover of System of a Down's Toxicity in his uploads. It's a pretty common song to cover nowadays, and I've been good covers and bad ones, so I gave it a shot.

The song started up, and the playing was pretty good. He even had the cash for good recording equipment, which was nice. He got to the verse of the song, and then it was ruined for me. His groove was only groove in the sense of timing, not in the sense of interpretation or expression. There were no accents, nothing to add flavor, just a 6/8 pattern.

Here's the cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf91ZtJ6Ji0&feature=channel_video_title

I just can't stand it when no expression is added to something that can so easily be given a heavy groove. Does anyone share my pickiness?

If I paid good money too see the actual band at a gig.....and the original drummer played like he didn't care.....then it may bother me. But outside of that, I couldn't give a rats arse about how some bloke playing in his home studio interprets the part.

I will never understand why these trivial little issues that are a complete non-entity in the scheme of things, seem to bother you guys the way that they do.

Personally, I've always been more concerned about how I choose to interpret a cover that I'm playing. Still plenty of angst.....just angst that actually matters. :)

Last edited:
I think I know exactly what youre talking about even without watching the vid (but I could be wrong).
I dont get irritated enough to let it get to me, but I definately get bored when drummers play with no passion or texturing to their grooves.

I try to play beats with a little more feel and accenting so that it makes people wanna move, whether its dancing, jumping or headbanging.

Back