A poll spurred by discussions I've had with music fans elsewhere:

I probably do not either, but I'm not sure what you have in mind by it being an absolute thing.??

If you have a song that is indirectly influenced by another song, like "My Sweet Lord," there is a property rights issue. In that case, he had heard the song. But you could conceive of a case where there was no direct correlation.

I just learned Richie Heyward died. Then I see this thread about a band with a drummer with the technical proficiency of a caveman with the flu on a bad day. Suffering also from cancer of the joints with MS. No, sorry but the VU with their aftermath knee jerk critical reaction to the progressive bands of the 70's have had zero influence upon this drummer. Thanks.

Yeah, it's sad.

I hear you man, I mean I've gotten in trouble too many times for saying the same thing. Reed was more of a lyricists, and actually his 'Berlin' influenced a generation of NY songwriters. My interest in him is because I am after all a NYer. I grew up not far from him.

Hey Delta. Man, I have a full day of students to teach soon and I doubt I will sleep. The only drummer to ever mention VU to me is Pol. I had no idea what she was talking about. I grew up on people who could actually play! Such as Elvin, Tony, Philly and the like. People who had not studied nor put in the tine were unworthy to me. They still are! What do they actually know? Sweet FA and yet they can be so vocal in the blind ignorance. Simple music is fine. But it should be a choice. Not a restriction!

If you have a song that is indirectly influenced by another song, like "My Sweet Lord," there is a property rights issue.
First, I had said, "(2)(ii), by the way, has been the source of some unintentional plagiarism." It's debatable whether 'My Sweet Lord" was an example of that or not, and those cases always will be debatable.

I don't have a problem with calling my (2)(ii) "indirect influence", if that's basically what you're doing there, but that's not a transitivity issue.

There could be interesting issues with this in copyright law, but they wouldn't be framed as transitivity or influence issues. I'm not aware of any suits like this, but maybe I'm just not aware of them. The case would be that A wrote song x, B intentionally or unintentionally plagiarized song x with song y, and C, unaware of A and song x, intentionally or unintentionally plagiarized song y with song z. I would not say that C intentionally or unintentionally plagiarized song x in that situation--C has never heard song x. If A sued C (either in lieu of suing B or in addition to suing B), I'm not sure how courts would tend to treat that, but I'm no copyright law expert. Does anyone know of an actual example that fits this?

Hey Delta. Man, I have a full day of students to teach soon and I doubt I will sleep. The only drummer to ever mention VU to me is Pol. I had no idea what she was talking about. I grew up on people who could actually play! Such as Elvin, Tony, Philly and the like. People who had not studied nor put in the tine were unworthy to me. They still are! What do they actually know? Sweet FA and yet they can be so vocal in the blind ignorance. Simple music is fine. But it should be a choice. Not a restriction!

I was wondering why you weren't sleeping, obviously Polly is.

I try not to be that extreme, I never really was. If you know my 'party line,' then you know that.

But I respect guys who come from your perspective and I know that you are a very well schooled and well studied drum teacher. I don't get pissed off until someone devalues that, and the punks did.

Last edited:

First, I had said, "(2)(ii), by the way, has been the source of some unintentional plagiarism." It's debatable whether 'My Sweet Lord" was an example of that or not, and those cases always will be debatable.

I don't have a problem with calling my (2)(ii) "indirect influence", if that's basically what you're doing there, but that's not a transitivity issue.

There could be interesting issues with this in copyright law, but they wouldn't be framed as transitivity or influence issues. I'm not aware of any suits like this, but maybe I'm just not aware of them. The case would be that A wrote song x, B intentionally or unintentionally plagiarized song x with song y, and C, unaware of A and song x, intentionally or unintentionally plagiarized song y with song z. I would not say that C intentionally or unintentionally plagiarized song x in that situation--C has never heard song x. If A sued C (either in lieu of suing B or in addition to suing B), I'm not sure how courts would tend to treat that, but I'm no copyright law expert. Does anyone know of an actual example that fits this?

There are pretty straight laid out rules to how this is dealt with in a court room situation that I believe are more practical than theoretically. You certainly wouldn't have to prove direct intent or influence.

I know it could happen because I wrote a song years ago that sounded like a song that later became popular on the radio and my friends would say, "Ken that sounds like your song." I had sent that song in my demo to record companies; but doubt the band ever heard it. How could I then prove copyright infringement?

There are pretty straight laid out rules to how this is dealt with in a court room situation that I believe are more practical than theoretically.
Well, I don't even know of any cases of it occurring, so there may not be any precedents set for it. It could happen though, sure.

Anyway, it seems like we're far afield from anything resembling a discussion about transitivity and influence, and that was probably far afield enough from the point of the thread.

Well, I don't even know of any cases of it occurring, so there may not be any precedents set for it. It could happen though, sure.

Anyway, it seems like we're far afield from anything resembling a discussion about transitivity and influence, and that was probably far afield enough from the point of the thread.

Well then 'no' I was not influenced by VU. But for Reed's re-recording of Sweet Jane and Rock and Roll on Rock and Roll Animal, I never heard them before a friend in college played them for me. They have never and still do not get any commercial airplay, even here in NY even in and around Reed's hometown. For that matter, neither did or does Dream Theater.

I did once write a song inspired by Reed about a guy who wants to be rock star but ends up a junky scoring off of his girlfriend's tip money.

Last edited:
i'm not influenced by the velvet underground. their style of music has never really grabbed me, although i do like "sweet jane". the guitar player in my current band is definitely influenced by them, and another guitarist i used to work with and am still friends with is also influenced by them i'm sure.

If I were to wax etherially, I'd say that I am influenced by everything I ever heard. Even if I don't like what I just heard, then I am influenced in such a way as to not try and imitate what I just heard. Even if I don't like a hip hop song, there may be some little tidbit that has something I like.

The reason for the poll was guessed by DrumEatDrum. Some music fans--and some of them claimed to at least be casual musicians, too--on another forum had claimed either (depending on the poster) that the Velvet Underground was THE most influential pop-rock-oriented musical artist ever (and yes, they seriously meant even more influential than the Beatles, say), or that they'd at least be in the top five or so. Keep in mind that all of those folks were punk and/or indie fans--where that was 90-something percent of what they wanted to talk about. Meanwhile, people on the forum who were professional musicians or were close to being professional musicians (they had been in lots of bands, etc.) pretty much unanimously said, "What?? I do not consider them an influence and I've never run into other musicians who do, and I've worked with tens (or hundreds) of musicians over the years".

Now I'm second guessing my estimate of 20% of younger musicians, but what the heck, I think a good 1 out of 5 players I know under 40 (and these are jazz guys) are familiar with them and appreciate them. They're big in Portland. Their thing is such a unique combination of excellent concept and songwriting, with near-zero technical ability, that I think to enjoy them at all is to be influenced by them. In liking them, you have to accept the idea that great music can be made by people who can't play.

That being said, Moe Tucker's drumming really isn't anything more than a placeholder for me- I don't think she adds much of anything to the music. The only example I can think of that is actually effective is mabye the cowbell part on Some Kind of Love.

If I were to wax etherially, I'd say that I am influenced by everything I ever heard. Even if I don't like what I just heard, then I am influenced in such a way as to not try and imitate what I just heard. Even if I don't like a hip hop song, there may be some little tidbit that has something I like.
That's exactly my take. Nice wax job, Larry!

Now I'm second guessing my estimate of 20% of younger musicians, but what the heck, I think a good 1 out of 5 players I know under 40 (and these are jazz guys) are familiar with them and appreciate them. They're big in Portland. Their thing is such a unique combination of excellent concept and songwriting, with near-zero technical ability, that I think to enjoy them at all is to be influenced by them. In liking them, you have to accept the idea that great music can be made by people who can't play.

That being said, Moe Tucker's drumming really isn't anything more than a placeholder for me- I don't think she adds much of anything to the music. The only example I can think of that is actually effective is maybe the cowbell part on Some Kind of Love.

I think the Velvets influence happens through The Stooges, which Cale produced and the MC5. Both did influence all of those early punk bands more directly then the Velvets. But where the Velvets were most influential was not in the guitar playing or drumming. It was the lyrical content. They sang about Heroin addiction, scoring drugs, S &M, homo-eroticism, nihilism, death, suicide, and later Reed sang about things like racism, child abuse, hookers and transvestites. A whole seedy underground of life that really hadn't been part of popular music, well not since the Weimar Republic. He also mythologized rock and roll in the song of the same title, long before Ozzy screamed Rock and roll is my religion and my love.

Also the influence of minimalism in rock that informs bands from The Stooges and Talking Head through U2, Nirvana, Radiohead and Coldplay started with The Velvets. I think at one point it became cool to say you were influenced by The Velvets. But you can hear it in Talking Heads and The Cars so I wouldn't disparage what The Velvets actually accomplished.

I think the Velvets influence happens through The Stooges, which Cale produced and the MC5. Both did influence all of those early punk bands more directly then the Velvets. But where the Velvets were most influential was not in the guitar playing or drumming. It was the lyrical content. They sang about Heroin addiction, scoring drugs, S &M, homo-eroticism, nihilism, death, suicide, and later Reed sang about things like racism, child abuse, hookers and transvestites. A whole seedy underground of life that really hadn't been part of popular music, well not since the Weimar Republic. He also mythologized rock and roll in the song of the same title, long before Ozzy screamed Rock and roll is my religion and my love.

Also the influence of minimalism in rock that informs bands from The Stooges and Talking Head through U2, Nirvana, Radiohead and Coldplay started with The Velvets. I think at one point it became cool to say you were influenced by The Velvets. But you can hear it in Talking Heads and The Cars so I wouldn't disparage what The Velvets actually accomplished.

The Kraken wakes :)

Much has been said. I am still a bit sleepy but, Ken, I agree with that.

Wy, fact is that two great rock artists - Lou Reed and John Cale - loved the "drummer with the technical proficiency of a caveman with the flu on a bad day". She suited their purposes, and a suitable drummer is a good drummer in my books, or at least good enough. I can't diss any drummer who has made a career from it, because I never did, and especially when they are pioneers of female rock drumming! Even if I took nothing from her, she's one of my forebearers.

It's understandable that some skilled artists have no interest in those involved with minimalism and primitivism. Interestingly, when you look at the WS and VU, each has at least one strong male musician with an interest in those areas with a very limited, untrained female drummer. Thing is, you don't want to bring in a strong drummer into a band devoted to primitivism because 1) he - almost invariably he - will get bored and frustrated and 2) he will always want to push to add "interesting" things that will spoil the overall effect. In the end, it's not a good match ... a good drummer would quickly leave that situation.

The question then becomes, what is the attraction of primitivism to accomplished performers like John Cale and Jack White? My guess is a desire to get to the essence, stripped away of all artifice and pretence. Straight from the heart with no filters ... which, of course, is what the punks were on about. Personally, I enjoy stylish artifice and pretence but I enjoy primitivism too ... they just press different buttons.

Brew, if the Velvets had no connection with the punks does that mean there is no link between Art Blakey and Brian Blade?

Todd, being a "placeholder" (nice term BTW) for a groundbreaking band isn't a bad role. There was already barely enough room for Lou & John so if Moe had it in her head to "add" to the music it may well have at best been rendered impotent, at worst a distraction (although drummer listeners would have preferred it haha). As I said, her hypnotic ostinato in Venus was perfect for the song and the racing heartbeat drumming in Heroin is iconic. Having said that, I like Lou's bombastic full band version on Rock'n'Roll Animal even more :)

Last edited:

A good song is a good song. A good band is a good band.

Sure, it would be nice if every band had a greatly skilled drummer, but I've learned over the years to not punish the entire band because of the drummer (or lack of). I used to have similar rules, but over the years, I realized I'd been missing out on some good/different/interesting music.

(Which isn't a defense of the Velvet Underground, I still can't name any of their songs)

There's this new radio station around me called Wehm from South Hampton. http://www.wehm.com/

Today they played The Velvets doing Rock and Roll, which is the first time I have ever heard them on commercial radio.

This is a station that will play old school Dylan or the Dead along with Johnny Cash, U2, Levon Helm, Lucinda Williams The Police, Suzanne Vega, Peal Jam, Radiohead, Wilco, Jayhawks, Stereophonics, Gomez, and Pol they even play White Stripes.

It reminded me of the word painting on those early albums, and how few bands ever did that.

it took time; but it's good to see the Velvets getting their props.

There's this new radio station around me called Wehm from South Hampton. http://www.wehm.com/

Today they played The Velvets doing Rock and Roll, which is the first time I have ever heard them on commercial radio.

This is a station that will play old school Dylan or the Dead along with Johnny Cash, U2, Levon Helm, Lucinda Williams The Police, Suzanne Vega, Peal Jam, Radiohead, Wilco, Jayhawks, Stereophonics, Gomez, and Pol they even play White Stripes.

It reminded me of the word painting on those early albums, and how few bands ever did that.

it took time; but it's good to see the Velvets getting their props.

Yeah Ken, I somehow expected them to play VU in South and Bridgehampton : ) I'll bet you'll never hear that stuff in Montauk : )

Back