The new August MD

Originally Posted by Average

I wish I could inspect a set of new Ludwig drums, play them, and say 'Wow. They didn't cut any corners when they made these beauties.'

Me too, but remember: mine is from 1964

Bernhard

I have a red sparkle set from 1964 that is of high quality. I wonder what happened?

Not for nuthin', you can't be trying very hard to get those Vistas. ANY self respecting Ludwig Dealer will order you a kit the minute you stop into the store and order it.

Don't expect ANY dealer to have exactly the kit you might want IN STOCK, with the myriad of different sizes and configurations, that's just impossible today.

If the Ludwig dealer you order from is giving you the run around, go to another one, or find an online dealer that will fulfill your order.

Don't say they're hard to get, 'cause they're NOT. But you DO have to do the legwork, they're not coming to YOUR house after all. There have never been traveling salesmen going door to door for drums.

True. I could always custom order a set. Hurry up and wait I guess. I might just build my own though. That way I can be sure that I'm not getting sub-par hardware, single flanged hoops etc.

Last edited:
True. I could always custom order a set. Hurry up and wait I guess. I might just build my own though. That way I can be sure that I'm not getting sub-par hardware, single flanged hoops etc.
They would ALL be custom ordered. There are just too many types and configurations for Ludwig dealers to keep one of everything in stock. Just the cost of HAVING that much inventory would be prohibitive, and having to pay taxes on it as stock would also make the prices go up at the time they sell it.

They would ALL be custom ordered. There are just too many types and configurations for Ludwig dealers to keep one of everything in stock. Just the cost of HAVING that much inventory would be prohibitive, and having to pay taxes on it as stock would also make the prices go up at the time they sell it.

Agreed. There is no way a drum store can keep that much stuff around. I guess what I was trying to say is that if I am going to custom order some drums, I might just completely custom order them (read build them myself) so that I get exactly the hardware and hoops I want rather than just whatever stuff Ludwig wants to throw on there. I was skeptical of the approach until I built a snare last month. A 10 lug brass shell 6.5X14 with all brass hardware and cast brass rims. I didn't skimp on any part. I bought the best of the best for everything and it was still far less than I would have paid for a black beauty. This thing THUNDERS. Also to my ear it sounds far better than anything I have ever played. I'm wondering if I could repeat that experience building some acrylic shelled drums. Hhmmm.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that even in leaner times, Ludwig always ran an ad on the inside cover. As noted, it's very expensive to have a full-page ad, and there may be a premium for placement (such as Zildjian's recurring ads on the back cover.)

Budgets indeed. Don't forget that they're a division of a publicly-traded company.

Bermuda
That is how I remember it going back to when MD had staples holding it together. Z on the back. L on the inside. This is strange.

Indeed, the economy has reared it's head into the industry, and costs across the board are a big consideration. As Bermuda stated, Ludwig is part of a large company, and must answer to a higher authority.

Pat

I have been getting MD since 1981, and have had a subscription since just after it went monthly, so I have a LOT of them (just ask my wife!).

Well, a strange thing happened in this months issue that I haven't seen before......

NO LUDWIG AD ON THE INSIDE FRONT COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE=Pluto;193496]Looks like Ludwig lost their inner cover perch in MD?

I want to take this opportunity to dismiss any rumors that Ludwig may have lost its position in MD. The Recession is affecting our budgets just like it is anyone else's. You may take time to notice that there are about half as many pages in your current MD issue as there were a year ago (damn, I was thumbing through Rolling Stone the other day and it looked like a pamphlet rather than a magazine!) DW, Tama, and Pearl all had massive, multi-page ads going in every issue, now they all have a single page, and that is it. It's just a sign of the times.

Modern Drummer actually started as "The Ludwig Drummer" and when Ron Spagnardi created it, he had a lifetime agreement with The Chief that we would always get the inside front cover. It has always been there in the 20+ years that I have been reading MD.

We have not lost the position and will not surrender it. We are allocating the costs from two months worth of ads to support some artist and other initiatives while things are tight, and then we are back. You will see a really nice Bun E Carlos ad in the next issue, then you will probably see John Good again in the following month. From there on out, Ludwig will be right there where we have always been.

It is our 100th Anniversary this year, and it happened to fall on a year that the economy went in the crapper. William F. Ludwig Sr. took the company through two wars and the Great Depression, hopefully we can take inspiration from his hulking-determination and solid legacy to get though this mess. It is working, and we are fighting the good fight, but there have to be occasional sacrifices.

We are equal to the challenge. Thanks to all of you who are helping us through it, you are part of the Family and have our deepest gratitude.

Bring the Rock,

Kevin Packard
Ludwig Drum Co.

I want to take this opportunity to dismiss any rumors that Ludwig may have lost its position in MD. The Recession is affecting our budgets just like it is anyone else's. You may take time to notice that there are about half as many pages in your current MD issue as there were a year ago (damn, I was thumbing through Rolling Stone the other day and it looked like a pamphlet rather than a magazine!) DW, Tama, and Pearl all had massive, multi-page ads going in every issue, now they all have a single page, and that is it. It's just a sign of the times.

Modern Drummer actually started as "The Ludwig Drummer" and when Ron Spagnardi created it, he had a lifetime agreement with The Chief that we would always get the inside front cover. It has always been there in the 20+ years that I have been reading MD.

We have not lost the position and will not surrender it. We are allocating the costs from two months worth of ads to support some artist and other initiatives while things are tight, and then we are back. You will see a really nice Bun E Carlos ad in the next issue, then you will probably see John Good again in the following month. From there on out, Ludwig will be right there where we have always been.

It is our 100th Anniversary this year, and it happened to fall on a year that the economy went in the crapper. William F. Ludwig Sr. took the company through two wars and the Great Depression, hopefully we can take inspiration from his hulking-determination and solid legacy to get though this mess. It is working, and we are fighting the good fight, but there have to be occasional sacrifices.

We are equal to the challenge. Thanks to all of you who are helping us through it, you are part of the Family and have our deepest gratitude.

Bring the Rock,

Kevin Packard
Ludwig Drum Co.

Because you took the time to respond, I will not build my own acrylic drums. I will buy some of the real thing. Thank you for taking the time.

Thanks for the response and explanation Kevin!

I did hear a long time ago that MD was The Ludwig Drummer before becoming MD, but wasn't sure it was actually true, so I didn't put that in my first post on the subject.

It's good to hear that Ludwig is doing so well (again) and that younger drummers are getting to know how great Ludwig drums (have always) sound(ed), and the top quality of the products.
There's a purchase of a Centennial kit for my 7 yr old son this year (Silver sparkle, the 2 up 2 down.....and a 24 for me!) too.

Bernard, my Ludwig's were built from 1989-to present, and I can say the quality is right up there with anything. The holes are all super clean, the plating is awesome, the edges are perfect, the finish is great, and the sound is amazing on every drum.

I have purchased toms & floor toms at different times too, and EVERY drum can be put in any combination and they ALL sound like they go together and are supposed to be a "kit".
There's a 1975 Acrolite in there too, and it's a super drum--as is my new 6.5 Acrolite (with 100th Anni badge!).

Have fun with your 64's, it was a good year :)!

Thanks again Kevin.

Back