Have you ever answered a Craigslist add to tell them their ad sucks?

mrmike

Silver Member
We have all seen ads for snare drums that just show the heads and not the drum.http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/3654822241.html For some reason I have felt compelled to answered a couple of times to let them know they need to show the drum, not the head. No one has ever taken my advice so I now resist answering but you would think someone going through the trouble of placing an ad would want to do something simple to help sell their item.

Then there are the why even bother ads.http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/msg/3641441549.html

I used to but there are way too many stupid people to try and save these days. I sure am glad the second snare is all "arignial" and a steal at $500 LOL!

We have all seen ads for snare drums that just show the heads and not the drum.http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/3654822241.html For some reason I have felt compelled to answered a couple of times to let them know they need to show the drum, not the head. No one has ever taken my advice so I now resist answering but you would think someone going through the trouble of placing an ad would want to do something simple to help sell their item.

Then there are the why even bother ads.http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/msg/3641441549.html
Fairly hideous photography. Why bother indeed :)

A closer look at the first ad and it appears to be a 10 lug drum. Probably a Supra. Maybe I should but it!

There seems to be so many "CL police" in the Montreal area I leave it up to them to deal w/the overposters & overprices crappola.

This guy has been BSing folks so much on CL that he gets flagged off in minutes of posting on CL...he lasts a little longer on Kijiji...

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...ms-Not-used-Francais-aussi-W0QQAdIdZ461330865

He's been trying to sell these mixed sets as "brand new" for 2 years. They were brand new in 2011 now it's brand new in 2013. Mean while the drums are rotting in his damp concrete basement.

What kills me is the guys selling 20 yr old garbage (CB700, early Exports, whatever) for ridiculous prices. I hope beginners do their research and dont fall for that stuff. Even if it comes with "cymbols"!

There seems to be so many "CL police" in the Montreal area I leave it up to them to deal w/the overposters & overprices crappola.

This guy has been BSing folks so much on CL that he gets flagged off in minutes of posting on CL...he lasts a little longer on Kijiji...

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...ms-Not-used-Francais-aussi-W0QQAdIdZ461330865

He's been trying to sell these mixed sets as "brand new" for 2 years. They were brand new in 2011 now it's brand new in 2013. Mean while the drums are rotting in his damp concrete basement.

Yes, I'm sick of that guy! He pollutes my Gretsch searches with 20 posts about his crap.

Last edited:
What kills me is the guys selling 20 yr old garbage (CB700, early Exports, whatever) for ridiculous prices. I hope beginners do their research and dont fall for that stuff. Even if it comes with "cymbols"!

Someone was selling an Export with a bunch of B8s for $1850. They said, "I know what this set is worth, so the price is firm". siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

A closer look at the first ad and it appears to be a 10 lug drum. Probably a Supra. Maybe I should but it!

That drum's not a supra.Its a 300 series drum thats imported by Ludwig.They have steel welded shells,as oppose to the spun aluminum (ludalloy) shell of the LM 400.The strainer and but plate are also of the generic import quality, and not the P-83/85/32 strainer butt plate of a supra.Lastly,it has the black and white badge,where a supra would be keystone or B/O,possibly brass oval on the limited edition series.

Steve B

That drum's not a supra.Its a 300 series drum thats imported by Ludwig.They have steel welded shells,as oppose to the spun aluminum (ludalloy) shell of the LM 400.The strainer and but plate are also of the generic import quality, and not the P-83/85/32 strainer butt plate of a supra.Lastly,it has the black and white badge,where a supra would be keystone or B/O,possibly brass oval on the limited edition series.

Steve B

I did inquire about the drum which prompted the guy to add more pics which is the first time anyone ever changed their add from one of my responses. I feel better now:)

If that's an LM300, it's a good snare, but not worth as much as he's asking. They usually go for around $139 new, for just the drum, although he does have some extras with it. Mine is loud and can produce a strong crack sound, if you're into that.

And about the CL ads - I've thought about responding to some of the more outrageous ones, but there's just too many of them. I have yet to buy or sell anything through CL. For one reason or another, people seem to change their mind around a lot around here - LOL

Someone was selling an Export with a bunch of B8s for $1850. They said, "I know what this set is worth, so the price is firm". siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

One of the first kits I bought were Exports with B8s, and I paid maybe $500-$600 for everything. The Exports are still going well - the hardware is pretty strong.

I have never formally complained about a Craigslist drum ad. Most of the bad ones are from people who don't understand anything about drums. It's mostly ignorance or being naive. Shame on the drummers who overprice their stuff in the ads.

I have but only when the poster is clearly not a drummer but has good intentions. Like when you can tell some kids mom is selling his kit when he's at college and things are spelled right, the kit is in the bedroom but the pricing is all wrong and maybe the floor is switched with the snare. Sometimes you can just tell.

Also to the people who post useless crap for huge $ EVERY DAY for a year and it doesnt sell. Like speaker stands for house hold speakers from the 80's for $150 that are made of particle board that is chipped. Never works with these idiots.

I do have an old truck for sale (1957 Dodge D300) and got this offer last night. OT but pretty funny...

"I would love to see it.
I'm in NYC and can definitely come out and see it, but wanted to ask a few questions about the engine (if its original or been replaced and how many miles) as well as the body (is this the original color and if there is rust or been in an accident)
I love the look, especially the bed but even $3800 is a bit too much
I typically don't like to make offers if I don't see and drive a vehicle, but if all checks out would you consider $1500 (spot value and not numismatic) worth of 5 troy ounce silver bars, 2 American silver eagles, 16 Morgan and peace coins and two gold British sovereign coins as well as $1000 in cash?"

You can imagine my response....

I have never responded to a CL ad unless I'm interested in the item for sale. I do get a kick out of the angry responces that people write though. I get more annoyed than I should when people list any ol' piece of crap as "RARE!" as if it'll up the value.

The thing that frightens me most is that I am an idiot when it comes to ads and sales and I can post a proper ad on craigs. I also can take a picture with my mobile phone and it comes out OK.
There are dumber people than me in the world!!! That is frightening.

. I get more annoyed than I should when people list any ol' piece of crap as "RARE!" as if it'll up the value.

I agree, that annoys me more than anything on CL.

Someone will have something lame like a Yamaha Power V in green, and list as "Rare."

Well, technically, they didn't make many of them, because no one wanted them back then! And it certainly doesn't add value.

Or when someone will list their drum kit as "vintage" and it's a Tama Rockstar from 1992. Not fooling anyone.

Also chuckle when someone has something slightly not common, and they'll post 101 links to audio/vido recordings of said drum kit trying to prove it's really worth the outrageous asking price.

I have emailed sellers to correct posting such as Remo brand drums for sale that have Ludwig badges etc, or Congo drums for sale that are djembes.

Last edited:
Back