Decision: Simmons SDK7 vs Yamaha DTXlorer

Andrew2011

My birthday is on Friday, and my parents are buying me an electronic drum kit. I've been playing for a year, but my only practice involved using my practice pad, and playing on my pillows. Finally, I am getting my drum kit, but it has to be electronic because I live in an apartment. I want an "inexpensive" set because honestly, my we're not the richest people ever, and we can't afford a Roland. My desicion comes down to the Simmons SDK7 which is $599, and the Yamaha DTX which is $699. I tried both. I love the look of the Simmons. It looks amazing, but the sound isn't too great. The Yamaha sounds pretty good, but it looks crappy, and resembles the Guitar Hero drums. I really torn between the two. Can you guys help me? Can someone with experience with two kits (or one of them) help?

My birthday is on Friday, and my parents are buying me an electronic drum kit. I've been playing for a year, but my only practice involved using my practice pad, and playing on my pillows. Finally, I am getting my drum kit, but it has to be electronic because I live in an apartment. I want an "inexpensive" set because honestly, my we're not the richest people ever, and we can't afford a Roland. My desicion comes down to the Simmons SDK7 which is $599, and the Yamaha DTX which is $699. I tried both. I love the look of the Simmons. It looks amazing, but the sound isn't too great. The Yamaha sounds pretty good, but it looks crappy, and resembles the Guitar Hero drums. I really torn between the two. Can you guys help me? Can someone with experience with two kits (or one of them) help?

Having tried both, I have only one honest answer: neither. I think they are both sub-par products. A used acoustic kit with dampeners isn't an option? I think that will net you the most for your dollars and it could be something that will last a long time. If it has to be electronic in that price range, I'd stretch the extra $100.00 and for the Roland TD-3.

That said, if you put a gun to my head and said, "Pick." I'd pick the Yamaha.

Back