Help with new heads.

joshisaces

Gold Member
I'm going to GC today to get a china and some other misc. gear such as tension rod lube and whatnot.

I play hard rock, metalcore, post-harcore, and some fusion jazz.

Anyways, I like a dryer sound from my snare, so for heads I was thinking evans Genera dry batter/hazy 300 reso.

Any other opinions. I don't want remo. I would like some opinions on aquarian.

Speaking of tension rod lube, there's no such thing, so what should I use? My tension rods will BARELY go inside my snare they're so not lubricated.. ?
haha

thanks

Vaseline petroleum jelly is a common lubricator for drum lugs.
Don't use baby oil or anything like that. You will regret it.

First clean your lugs, put them in soap with hot water and let them soak overnight.
Rinse/wipe clean and dry. Try and get as much black off as you can. Then apply the pet.jelly.

Edit: you don't need a lot of lub. there's a couple of videos on utube that show how much.
Just a dip and turn and your golden.work the lug in and out and in again.

First clean your lugs, put them in soap with hot water and let them soak overnight.
Rinse/wipe clean and dry. Try and get as much black off as you can. Then apply the pet.jelly.

Edit: you don't need a lot of lub. there's a couple of videos on utube that show how much.

Thanks for your help veggo!
Now for heads....

Actually, wouldn't soap and water be bad for the rods?

well as of now i have coated emps over clear yamaha two ply stocks

so maybe like an EQ3 on the bass, Coated G2's over CLear G2's and a dry snare evans head or a perverse power dot?

well as of now i have coated emps over clear yamaha two ply stocks

so maybe like an EQ3 on the bass, Coated G2's over CLear G2's and a dry snare evans head or a perverse power dot?

I just realized how vague my very first post was.

To clear things up, I'm just looking for a snare head! I was debating either ec2 reverse dot or the HD Genera Dry.

I'm set on the hazy 300 res head.

Aquarian

Hi-Velocity:A coated two ply head(2 7mil) with a reverse Power-Thin dot for extra strength. Available in 13" and 14" diameters

Hi-Energy™: A clear, single ply drumhead with an extremely thin layer of Power Dot™ material “bonded” to the entire surface of the head. It is reinforced in the center with a small Power Dot™. Designed for heavy hitters who want a powerful sound and a lot of durability.

Aquarian

Hi-Velocity:A coated two ply head(2 7mil) with a reverse Power-Thin dot for extra strength. Available in 13" and 14" diameters

Hi-Energy™: A clear, single ply drumhead with an extremely thin layer of Power Dot™ material “bonded” to the entire surface of the head. It is reinforced in the center with a small Power Dot™. Designed for heavy hitters who want a powerful sound and a lot of durability.

So is the high velocity pretty dry, cause that's what I'm going after. I don't want it to ring! I hate the ringing of the overtones :(

I'd say so considering how thick it is. If you really want dry or dead. Try to get a Performance 2 with the dot. . The Focus - X may be what your looking for but GC most likely won't have it in stock.

Actually, wouldn't soap and water be bad for the rods?

I don't see why it would be bad. Little dish soap (with degreaser in it) and warm water, just to break up the dirt , making it easier to clean. As long as the rods are indoors and not subject to cold temp. it shouldn't affect them. I've done it myself, and they clean up well.

No ring eh?
well i'ld still go with a coated ambassador, slap a thin oring on it and it'll dry it right out.
Maybe, you'll change your mind one day and want the ring. Just remove the oring and your golden.
why don't you want any ring? Are you having tuning problems? If you are I would address that now, because all heads will give off some ring (even the driest ones) if there not tuned properly. Ring is good!

That's too much ring!

I don't see why it would be bad. Little dish soap (with degreaser in it) and warm water, just to break up the dirt , making it easier to clean. As long as the rods are indoors and not subject to cold temp. it shouldn't affect them. I've done it myself, and they clean up well.

No ring eh?
well i'ld still go with a coated ambassador, slap a thin oring on it and it'll dry it right out.
Maybe, you'll change your mind one day and want the ring. Just remove the oring and your golden.
why don't you want any ring? Are you having tuning problems? If you are I would address that now, because all heads will give off some ring (even the driest ones) if there not tuned properly. Ring is good!

That's too much ring!

I don't want remo though! :)

Ended up getting HD Genera Dry/Hazy 300
Awesome pair!

And I picked myself up a ZHT china.
Sounds AMAZING for the price of it.

Ended up getting HD Genera Dry/Hazy 300
Awesome pair!

And I picked myself up a ZHT china.
Sounds AMAZING for the price of it.

Nice picks! I know that's a great head, and I'd like to try one for myself some day, but if you ever get the chance, try the Aquarian Hi-energy. NO ringing, and a few overtones to help with projection. It can be CRANKED! And in the middle, because of the power-dot, it's basically 3-ply. Amazing head. I paired it with a Remo Diplomat hazy (all Guitar Center had), and now it's ultra-sensitive as well.

Anyways, have fun with your new china!

Nice picks! I know that's a great head, and I'd like to try one for myself some day, but if you ever get the chance, try the Aquarian Hi-energy. NO ringing, and a few overtones to help with projection. It can be CRANKED! And in the middle, because of the power-dot, it's basically 3-ply. Amazing head. I paired it with a Remo Diplomat hazy (all Guitar Center had), and now it's ultra-sensitive as well.

Anyways, have fun with your new china!

Thanks! I will have a lot of fun with it.
I'll probably be playing drums all day tomorrow XD
I spent $160 bucks today, and I feel good :D

Thanks! I will have a lot of fun with it.
I'll probably be playing drums all day tomorrow XD
I spent $160 bucks today, and I feel good :D

Dude, you have no idea how much I love getting drum stuff.
Well, you probably do, actually :D
But my pedals arrive on Tuesday...I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Right now they're in Sacramento.

Dude, you have no idea how much I love getting drum stuff.
Well, you probably do, actually :D
But my pedals arrive on Tuesday...I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Right now they're in Sacramento.

OH MY GOD. You are kidding!
My 13" Sabian AA Fusion hats arrive on Tuesday, and they're in sacramento also!

Back