First electric kit for Uni practice

AliS

Hey, first post on here!

I've had the same crappy acoustic kit at home for about 10 yrs now, and am now at Uni. I'm planning on getting an electric kit to take to the flat with me, so I can continue to play when I'm over there.
I know next to nothing about electric kits, but have done a wee bit of research over the last few days.
Basically, my budget isn't huge (about £500) and am wondering whether it's worth considering anything other than a roland or yamaha? (been looking at the yamaha dtx 450k?) I've noticed Alesis are in my price range but am not sure if they're worth the money?
The kit would mainly be for practice and jamming with my flatmate (guitarist) so doesn't need to be super high performance.
Any help would be appreciated, cheers guys.

Last edited:
I'm copying and pasting this in from my posting in another thread about the same topic, as you should bear this in mind:
When I was discussing e-drums around town, my local music store sales guy said, "Whatever you do, don't get an Alesis. If you do, it will be back here within a matter of weeks because of some malfunction, and Alesis will be extremely unhelpful when I call them." Problem was, I had already bought a DM8 USB. And, the rubber came right off two of the toms, then the kick drum quit altogether. Another dealer, the one where I bought it, kindly shipped me another tom (it broke too) and said that when he contacted Alesis about my dud kit, the response "wasn't pretty!" Long story short, I returned it for a full refund and got a Roland TD-11KS for $900 Cdn,, added a fourth tom and have never looked back. OK. it's an entry level kit, rubber toms with single triggers et al,, but it suits me very well, and i feel I can hit it all i want (the Alesis sounds are great, IMO, and varied, but the build quality is lacking). Haven't tried Yamaha, but the choice really is only Roland or Yammie!

Here's a good deal for you in the UK, although over your budget (but has some free stuff!):

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/roland-td-11k-v-drums-electronic-drum-kit

Basically, my budget isn't huge (about £500) and am wondering whether it's worth considering anything other than a roland or yamaha? (been looking at the yamaha dtx 450k?) I've noticed Alesis are in my price range but am not sure if they're worth the money?

There are dozens of threads in here on this topic, and they all say the same thing:

Roland or Yamaha, and avoid other brands.
'tis not been posted over and over again for no reason. :)

KAT has a new budget kit that might be an exception to this rule. I don't know if they are available yet though.

If you're at a university, in a small space, you might also want to consider a set of multi-pads instead of a full kit. The internals are similar, and with most of them, you can hook up kick pads and hi-hats, and expand them with other pads.

Something like this: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...n/muilti_pads/dtx-m12/dtx-multi12/?mode=model

or this: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1059

11025_12075_1.jpg

spd-30_kit_gal.jpg

Cheers for the help! Looks like i'm going for a Roland, the TD4-KP looks ideal in terms of size and has a good module as well but I've yet to try on myself. However I did try a TD-11 and was impressed so could be tempted to push my budget a bit.

I would go for the TD11 over the 4kp. I have the TD15 and love it. But I dont think I'd really miss the Multi Effects(the big difference between the 11 and 15) if I didn't have them. You'll be happy with this as a practice kit.

good luck.

Back