Your Playing section

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Obviously I like this forum a lot (ie. too much) but there's one change I'd like to see. Given that, in the end, it's about the music, I'd like to see these changes to the forum format:

1. Your Playing to be its own major section along with General discussion, Drummers, Drum Technique etc. After all, the playing is what matters most so it makes sense to me to give it priority.

2. To break it up into three subsections:

a. Drum Covers
b. Band recordings
c. Jams

Sometimes I find it's a shame to see fabulous recordings - especially those who are top players and/or posting their bands' new albums - slip down the list and into obscurity under a wave of drum covers. Don't get me wrong, I see the logic and value of drum covers but they are less valuable than music played by musicians and with proper balance between instruments. When I see it happening it makes me feel like bumping the band/album threads so people get to hear them.

I don't know how hard this would be to do or how flexible the forum template is.

How do others feel about this?

If it's possible Pol, I agree. I would add solos to section 3, so jams/solos. I also think the Your Place section has enough interest in it's own right, but I'd like that arranged differently too. Introduce yourself, your gear, & your pictures as the main subsections. Good call IMO.

I think that it would be a good idea if possible. I don't mind watching people playing. I just hate sifting through it all to find something that I like.

It will cause too much confusion. People are having a hard time finding the "my playing" section as it is. What you could do is make thread-tags that say "drum cover", "Solo" and "original composition/band". Maybe in the form of small pictures or something..
Or you could enforce descriptive thread-titles.

Great idea Pol!

But Thaard, unless I'm misunderstanding what Pollyanna is saying, wouldn't this change make it far easier to find the "my playing" thread?

-Jonathan

Great idea Pol!

But Thaard, unless I'm misunderstanding what Pollyanna is saying, wouldn't this change make it far easier to find the "my playing" thread?

-Jonathan

Ah, crud! Read too fast, sorry!
Well, it being a main thingy like general and such is a great idea!

Great idea.

I don't get the whole drum cover thing for the most part either.
There's no suggestion of downrating drum covers. They have value. It's more about celebrating the Your Playing section as a subject of equal merit to the main menu sections, then providing distinction such that the less numerous threads aren't instantly relegated by the more proliferant threads.

Great idea.

Would just playing some self written music (but not really a solo) fall under jams?

Good idea. But how about, Solos, Jams, and Home Brew for the tidbits of small rudiment type explanations and self written things

Great idea.

Would just playing some self written music (but not really a solo) fall under jams?

That's one of those grey areas. I guess it could fit under "solo" since it's done by one person, or it could fit under the band category as a one-person band.

Good idea. But how about, Solos, Jams, and Home Brew for the tidbits of small rudiment type explanations and self written things

More grey areas ... Home Brew might be confusing. After all, some people have enough trouble given all the links to one's own playing and gear questions in General Discussion. I think Instruction videos would fit pretty well in the Technique area.

I'm not sure any of this can happen because of the programming costs and Bernhard not having a bottomless pit of money (or he'd be able to afford more trips sunbaking on the Swiss coast).

To Berhnard: If you ever decide to redesign, what do you think of this option?

Great concept Polly.

As we discussed in another thread, I think many people just don't go to the Your Playing Section because it's full of drum covers posted by people who never otherwise post (i.e. drive-by-posting) and the whole section ends up suffering from general dis-interest.

I also agree that this would be an excellent idea. It makes sense to have the subcategories under Drum Gear, but having an important section like "Your Playing" as a subcategory of something is not the best way to go about it.

I feel the "Home Brew-rudiments" would best placed in the existing "Drum Technique" Section... and "Home Brew-self writings" is pretty much the same as solos/jams in my mind.

But yea, good idea. I hope the admins will consider it.

I understand that you guys don't solicit suggestions for the forum, but now that it's been brought up, I'd like to, respectfully, show my support for moving "your playing" out from underneath another section.

I understand that you guys don't solicit suggestions for the forum, but now that it's been brought up, I'd like to, respectfully, show my support for moving "your playing" out from underneath another section.
+ 1 on that from me too. I remember the drum gear section being expanded into a greater number of subsections. Great move, made sense, & I don't remember that being the subject of a change suggestion thread.

Bernhard, Dogbreath, nobody's trying to steer the ship here, just an enthusiastic bunch of forum members respectfully making a suggestion. We're all super grateful for the work put in by you, & recognise it's your show, & we're invited guests.

I would love to have the Your Playing section expanded, it's my favorite area of the forum, I really look forward to seeing the members showing their stuff, however I agree that it is flooded by way too much 1 post members that don't bring anything else to the forum.

I think the hardest thing to remember about DrummerWorld when one considers its size, sophistication, and completeness, is the fact that it is all the project of one man. Bernhard created the site and this forum to express his love and appreciation of drummers, and his efforts rival and surpass similar websites that are created and maintained will the full resources of international corporations.

It is easy to look at the hard work of one person and say what you would have done differently, but it is very heartwarming to know that there are so many people who appreciate everything that Bernhard has done for us for no other reason than his desire to share his passion with the rest of the world.

As stated previously here and elsewhere, while occasional tweaks are not completely out of the question, the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" holds great sway around these parts.

Many thanks to all of you who care enough about DrummerWorld and the forum to share your thoughts.

Back