Do you wear rings when drumming?

No.
Being in the Rockabilly scene, skull rings are all the rage and I have many. But to use them while playing will pinch every time causing some horrendous blood blisters.

I learned that the hard way. :-(

So I pocket them during the show and put them back on during breaks and before and after the show.

Strange, Im like the opposite of most of your guys. I like stuff in my pockets and even add things to even out the weight in each pocket. I feel it centers me and helps keep me grounded. As far as rings....no way, would bug me. But I do wear several bracelets (around 9 usually) and my spiked wristband.

I really can't handle wearing rings or any other accessories while drumming, or even more so, I could never wear a watch while drumming (though I know loads of drummers do it). Both of them always felt really uncomfortable to me.

Though in a way I'm a little bit jealous of drummer's that don't mind, as I always end up misplacing my jewelry...!

I take my wedding ring off when I'm drumming, hand-drumming, or playing bass.

Otherwise, my instruments might get jealous. :)

My pockets are always stuffed with keys, wallet, phone, etc. Most of the time it doesn't bother me.

Anything on my wrists annoys me, but I have rings on every single finger and don't even notice them. Most are now more oval than round! They are all just sterling silver, so nothing fancy or expensive that I'd worry about getting misshapen or scratched. Skulls, spiders, snakes and the like!!!

The only time my rings come off are to go through airport security as they set the scanners off!!!

Reporting back as promised after trying a silicone band. I actually ending up getting 2 different sized ones because the first felt a little big and the floppiness both felt weird and concerned me regarding friction (which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place). I alternated between the 2 during a week and a half that saw 3 rehearsals and 2 shows.

It turns out that in day to day use, the smaller one felt better because of the lack of the aforementioned floppiness, but on Saturday's gig I definitely felt it pinching a bit. It still didn't leave any blisters though which was a big improvement, but it was annoying enough to not love it.

I put the larger one on for last night's show and it was almost unnoticeable. Didn't barely feel any pinching and no hint of any blisters. So for now that one is the winner.

I could see myself leaving it on on a regular basis just so I don't forget to switch it out for shows and rehearsal, though it would be sad to not put my actual wedding band to use from time to time.

Attachments

• 20171120_210639.jpg
    20171120_210639.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 175
Reporting back as I am now coming near the finish line of my first real tour since trying out the silicone band. This has been a 3 week run between New York, EU and the UK. I've done plenty of this length touring before (though it's been a little while and they tended to be jazzy or at least somewhat mellower), and I've been playing in this band which is high energy/hard playing/long sets for a couple years now, but this the first time in my life of continuous sweaty hard hitting sets night after night.

While I've been wearing the silicone band for gigs since I got it, after the 4th or 5th night in a row on this tour I noticed that the callous just below where the ring is (that's always there)was forming a blister UNDERNEATH. So, I removed the ring and the blister started receding even as I continued to play shows. Long story short? The silicone wedding band is not a long term solution for me unfortunately. At least, if I want to wear it when I'm not playing I won't be super paranoid about losing it when I take it off.

Truth is, though, that between the cold and the playing, my hands have taken a beating. The skin started cracking about 7 days in and I've had to constantly moisturize to get them back to a somewhat painless existence (now I know to start doing that right from the start). Also, there is a slightly sore callous/blister forming on my left pinky right around the lower finger joint. I don't think it had anything to do with the wedding ring but I've noticed it starting to hurt the past few days (nothing horrible, just noticeable while playing and mildly annoying).

Anyway, adult education continues....

Reporting back as I am now coming near the finish line of my first real tour since trying out the silicone band. This has been a 3 week run between New York, EU and the UK. I've done plenty of this length touring before (though it's been a little while and they tended to be jazzy or at least somewhat mellower), and I've been playing in this band which is high energy/hard playing/long sets for a couple years now, but this the first time in my life of continuous sweaty hard hitting sets night after night.

While I've been wearing the silicone band for gigs since I got it, after the 4th or 5th night in a row on this tour I noticed that the callous just below where the ring is (that's always there)was forming a blister UNDERNEATH. So, I removed the ring and the blister started receding even as I continued to play shows. Long story short? The silicone wedding band is not a long term solution for me unfortunately. At least, if I want to wear it when I'm not playing I won't be super paranoid about losing it when I take it off.

Truth is, though, that between the cold and the playing, my hands have taken a beating. The skin started cracking about 7 days in and I've had to constantly moisturize to get them back to a somewhat painless existence (now I know to start doing that right from the start). Also, there is a slightly sore callous/blister forming on my left pinky right around the lower finger joint. I don't think it had anything to do with the wedding ring but I've noticed it starting to hurt the past few days (nothing horrible, just noticeable while playing and mildly annoying).

Anyway, adult education continues....

Thank you for your feedback!!!! Sounds like the silicone ring is not the perfect solution. I'm going to continue to remove my ring before I play.
I always put it on my key ring with my car keys before I play so I won't lose it. Thanks !

I'm going to continue to remove my ring before I play.
I always put it on my key ring with my car keys before I play so I won't lose it.

Jimmy, don't you play traditional grip? I play trad and have never had a problem with my wedding band. I have been doing the keyring trick that a few of you have mentioned when I go to the gym, much better that putting my ring in my pocket and hoping it doesn't get lost.

Jimmy, don't you play traditional grip? I play trad and have never had a problem with my wedding band. I have been doing the keyring trick that a few of you have mentioned when I go to the gym, much better that putting my ring in my pocket and hoping it doesn't get lost.

Yes you are correct! I play traditional grip. Almost exclusively. And there is no issues with my wedding ring when playing traditional grip. However, a couple of years ago I started switching to matched grip on a few songs so I can do some grooves on the hi hat and do a better job on my crash cymbal to my left. My wedding ring is kind of large and it will hit the drum stick on occasion playing matched grip.

And yes I also take off my ring at the gym!!

I cannot wear a ring while I am playing because it wears a hole in my ring finger. So...I have not worn my wedding ring for about 30 years. Peace and goodwill.

I wear 2 rings while playing (both on my left hand), my wedding ring (thin band) and a ring on my pinky (which is my sort of tribute to Ringo).

When I was in school I used to wear my class ring but would get blood blisters from wearing it, which I think was due to the width of the band pinching the skin on the finger.

I don't wear a ring, also my wedding ring I always pull it out of my finger and put it in a good safe place (my stickbag) 2 reasons, really really really uncomfortable while playing its like their is a grain of sand in my shoes thing and its messing with my finger motion while I'm holding my chops

I wore several rings on most of my fingers when I was a teenager both on the drum set and in marching band. That was part of my image. I constantly flattened them out to the point of hurting my fingers. The rings had to be periodically be re-shaped by hammering them out on a ring sizing cone with a rawhide mallet. I loosened some of the stones that that had turquoise, coral, amethyst and quartz. My Mom who bought most of my jewelry was not exactly happy about it but she fixed them anyway, she was jewelry maker hobbyist. Eventually, I out grew the faze. When I got married I started wearing my wedding band and that quickly flattened out so I stopped wearing rings and any jewelry, bracelets, wristbands and necklaces included. I guess I did a lot of power rim shots!

My wedding ring never comes off, unless its hand percussion but I get really uncomfortable playing with a watch on. Possibly the ring doesn't bother me too much as I wear gloves when I play, so there is no taping of the stick on the ring. That said, it didn't bother me before I started wearing gloves either.

Can't play barefoot or in socks either. Usually trainers or dress shoes depending on the gig- nothing too new though, I like a bit of flex...

Back