Well I just dan gun broke my right foot!

jspitza

ARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So, with that being screamed I am currently (tomorrow) being fitted for a weight bearing boot, not a cast. I can't drive for 6 to 8 weeks and we are moving houses on June 10th. I have a stationary bike and can always weight lift for exercises. My old mapex double pedal should make things interesting as I can practice my left side, which is needed anyway. BUT with all of this said and done, why am I only thinking about my two new UFIP's and a black panther cherry maple 12x7 coming tomorrow? I really don't know much about drum playing while paying attention to bone breakage and could use some pointers. Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Wel I just dan gun broke my right foot!

Last year played about dozen gigs( including fill-in fill) with my right foot in a full boot! Boot was on for little over 2 months. Use my double pedel(left foot). Keep HH functional, but would release HH cluch in closed position.
Keep things simple and hold soild time.
Denis

I would consult a medical professional.Drummers aren't qualified to dispence medical advice over the internet(and neither is anyone else for that matter) Perhaps an orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist,could render expert advice,upon a physical examination. You could also consult a certified physical therapist that specializes in sports medicine,so as not to exacerbate your condition,which may result in permenant damage.

In the mean time,keep the hats closed,and play with your left foot,keep your powder dry,and call it uncle Bob.

Steve B

I feel your pain...I had my right foot operated on four weeks ago. I'm only in an orthopedic shoe, but I am allowed NO weight bearing for a full six weeks, then I will gradually start putting weight on it again. I have never been a double-bass player, but before the surgery I picked up a used mid-grade double-bass pedal to get me through. I just rest my right foot on the floor to the right of the primary pedal, and I'm using my left foot exclusively. Even with no prior DB experience, I've picked it up pretty quickly (not that I play anything terribly complex). I figure the experience, while simply a way to "get through" in the present, will pay off sometime down the road.

I feel your pain...I had my right foot operated on four weeks ago. I'm only in an orthopedic shoe, but I am allowed NO weight bearing for a full six weeks, then I will gradually start putting weight on it again. I have never been a double-bass player, but before the surgery I picked up a used mid-grade double-bass pedal to get me through. I just rest my right foot on the floor to the right of the primary pedal, and I'm using my left foot exclusively. Even with no prior DB experience, I've picked it up pretty quickly (not that I play anything terribly complex). I figure the experience, while simply a way to "get through" in the present, will pay off sometime down the road.
Ah, good to know and thanks for sharing. The first thing I did after I slipped was go straight to my doctor so I'm not asking for medical advice. My Podiatrist is fitting me with a weight bearing boot but I can at least walk. I'm starting over using my left foot as bass drum lead but may think about a remote cable hat. My doctor's advice was "if it hurts, stop" since its a clean 5th metatarsal break. What a great summer its going to be, huh? Thanks for sharing guys, Jeff

Yeah, you'll get through it. Strangely enough, I think what has helped me transition smoothly was...(wait for it)...driving a car. When driving, the right foot is obviously "occupied" on the gas pedal and brake, so whenever I've been jamming out to tunes in the car the last twenty years, I'd be tapping out the bass drum part with my left foot. Maybe that idiosynchrosy is now paying off!

I did the exact same thing last year. Broke my right foot. Had that stupid boot for 6 weeks. I didn't drum at all during that time. Driving was tough. I took the boot off when I got to the car and used my broken right foot for the gas and my left foot for the brake.

Good luck. Don't force it. Let it heal.

The boot. Better than a cast for sure:

Thanks guys:
I've got that same thing on my foot\leg as well! I can only imagine this being much worse. I've got a lot of things on my plate right now-the upcoming move and now this so this might be the universe, God ect way of saying "Slow the eff down, Jeff" I can still use my left foot thank God but need to be creative in how not to let the rust build up too bad. Thanks for the words of encouragement......feels good.

Don't play drums or do anything with that foot. I knew somebody that broke a bone in his foot. After 6 weeks it still wasn't healed. Just driving the car and walking around was preventing it from healing.

Don't play drums or do anything with that foot. I knew somebody that broke a bone in his foot. After 6 weeks it still wasn't healed. Just driving the car and walking around was preventing it from healing.
That's sound advice, Jose. I think I needed to reword my topic to "changing your psychological outlook on life after a broken foot) :) The funny thing is is that eventhough I have no pain while touching the right foot bass drum pedal, the pedal won't respond at all because of the size of the cast\boot.........I'm down until further notice (with that foot that is)

I've broken so many bones I've lost count. Some take longer to heal than others and are real sensitive-like I broke my right hand and it would kill me to shake hands. I'd give yourself time to heal but that said stress is what makes bones grow too (it increases bone density). I must say breaking bones wasn't all bad because while in cast I developed some ambidexterity-especially breaking my right hand. Breaking both my ankles was a real bummer I'd have to say and really put me out of commission. But you will adapt easily I predict.

Back