Pearl drum set in Blues Brothers movie

RogerLudwig

I watched the original Blues Brothers movie tonight and during the car chase in the shopping mall the Brother's car hits a shop with a Pearl acrylic (clear) drum set in the window. The movie was made in 1980 and I can't find out any information about a Pearl acrylic set from that era. Does anyone know where I should look or, better yet, does anyone know about Pearl acrylic sets from that era. Thanks in advance.

They did indeed exist.

They were called the Crystal Beat.

Pearl recently brought back the Crystal Beat name.

I am not sure of their original time line. But in the 70's and early 80's, Pearl experimented with several non-wood drum series.

The Bluesmobile crashes into a set of Pearl wood drums and a set of Ludwig Tri-Color Acrylic drums.

Watch closely at 1:00 through 1:16: http://youtu.be/IIdGxR-aU6o

Hollywood is right, first the tequila sunrise set gets it, then the wood Pearls. So where are these clear drums I hear mentioned? I don't see a set of clear drums anywhere. I do see a gong I want though.

I did not see any clear Pearls either.

But, the new Oldsmobiles were in early that year.

Thanks Hollywood. I checked out the link and see that in the first shot I saw the Pearl logo on the bass head and then in the second shot I saw the Ludwigs fly out the window and thought that they were the Pearls. When I paused both shots I now see that the Pearls were wood and the acrylics were Ludwig. Thanks for clearing up my mistake. Love your handle by the way. My hometown, although I think it's probably more about the Ludwig Hollywood set that the town.

Roger

Berst movie cop car chase EVER!!

I always wondered about that mall. I must have been slated for demolition or super-duty renovation when you see all the destruction caused during that scene.

Back