what grip type do you use?

P

peanut23s

just a pollof sorts, of what is used by who.

i use a german grip needs work on the right hand but left is perfect even thoughim right handed ?

so what do you use

I used to use English grip (that Keith Moon made up) but my techer threatened to cut off my finger if I didn't use a proper grip. But I don't know, what's the difference?

I use French with my left hand and German with my right

my bastardised Traditional, Right hand: German/Frencg (depends what I'm playing or where on the kit_. Left hand: traditional, but instead of two free fingers where the stick rests on the third finger, I only have the index finger free with the stick resting on my middle finger.

But I play matched and traditional traditional when it suits.

The key is to be versatile

Just to clarify....

Trad. and Matched are ways of holding the stick. French. German, etc. are different positions.

Back to the question. I find myself generally using matched with german grip, but I am trying to get into Trad. I also find myself switching to French to do rolls on toms. I am able to roll faster using my fingers. Thats something Jojo Mayer taught me.

Some kids say "American Grip". I really don't know what that is, but leave to the American's to have to create their own way of doing things....again.

Some kids say "American Grip". I really don't know what that is, but leave to the American's to have to create their own way of doing things....again.

American grip is sort of a hybrid type of grip, although i'm not sure if "american grip" is an official name. Basically instead of the thumbs being pointed inward like in german grip or straight up like in French they point diagonally inward at an angle. I use this grip although I use french grip in my right hand for the ride cymbal.

Fellows,

Can you define or clarify the American and German grips?

Many Thanks,

Dom Famularo's book "It's your move" is the definitive source for all of this info.

In matched grip. there are several possible positions. The oldest is the German grip. This was quite literally, the grip that the Germans used on their field drums. The key idea is "around the barrel". Imagine a barrel in front of you and you play around it. The palms are down and the sticks are in a V shape. The elbows are out.

Napoleon hated the Germans and didn't want his men doing anything like them so the French grip was developed. This is the classic timpani grip. The thumb is facing the sky and the pinky is facing the floor. Elbows are in. Great for finger control no so great for power.

When Gene Krupa was a big star he was once asked what kind of grip he used, German or French. He said "American". This grip is like a hybrid of the two. The palm is facing down but the arms are not going "around the barrel". The V shape is tighter. The elbows are in.

Nobody uses the old school "German Grip" anymore unless they want to look like a Revolutionary War Drummer. The modern variation of the German grip doesn't go "around the barrel" . Today most people refer to any palms down grip as German.

In modern terms: German= palms fully down, French= thumb up and American is somewhere in the middle.

Realize that there are no hard lines here: A person can have a French/American or a German/American grip as well.

I use all types (american, german, french) depending on what drum I am playing to. I often have fun with the traditional grip also, tho I can't do everything with it yet. I'm using americal classic 2B's, I love their weight and balance.

I use German (palms down). It really helps me relax while I'm playing. Also, my right hand needs work but my left hand plays with it perfectly and I'm right handed too!

Back