Ever have a drumming dream?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I'm not talking about you dream one day of being a rockstar, rather the dreams you have in your sleep. Had one last night where for some reason Steve Gadd was in my basement, I was asking him a question about a piece of music from a book and we ended up having a private lesson. That was a great dream!

I have 2 recurring themes. 1) I'm late to a gig, and I'm setting up while the band is already playing. 2) I'm playing, and my drums/cymbals are slowly drifting away from me and I'm reaching and stretching to get to them. I never have "happy" drumming dreams :-(

I have 2 recurring themes. 1) I'm late to a gig, and I'm setting up while the band is already playing. 2) I'm playing, and my drums/cymbals are slowly drifting away from me and I'm reaching and stretching to get to them. I never have "happy" drumming dreams :-(

Yeah, like me. Anxiety dreams. I'm late, I don't have a snare, sticks. That sort of thing.

I have these also, as well as no sticks, pedals or seat. I have also had the borrowed kit and it's either too big or small dream.

Had one last week that was directly related to a thread I started. BeyondBetrayal told me in the thread to tighten the batter, in my dream I did and the technique worked. In my dream I remember thinking he told me to do it, so I will.

Oh I've had that second dream a ton (that is a nightmare more than a dream lol!)

Yes, I have the dreams. They are always the same. Im super excited to play, but then I cant reach or cant get situated and all I want to do is play! I hate them, I hate the dreams, then I wake up . . . . in a cold sweat . . . . .........

The funny thing is, in real life, I never have any problems. I'm never late, I never mess up, I never drop my sticks, I never forget my parts, I never have gear malfunctions. What's up with that?

The funny thing is, in real life, I never have any problems. I'm never late, I never mess up, I never drop my sticks, I never forget my parts, I never have gear malfunctions. What's up with that?

Because subconciously that's a huge fear

I'm not talking about you dream one day of being a rockstar, rather the dreams you have in your sleep. Had one last night where for some reason Steve Gadd was in my basement, I was asking him a question about a piece of music from a book and we ended up having a private lesson. That was a great dream!

Funny that you bring this up. Just yesterday I started reading a book on how a lot of great music was written as the result of a dream. There are a staggering number of cases, as admitted to by the musicians. Many different accounts from many varied people have a lot of the same common threads.

Sorry but I had to laugh with you on this. I totally get it.

Yeah, like me. Anxiety dreams. I'm late, I don't have a snare, sticks. That sort of thing.

Why do most of us experience negative dreams more than positive dreams

I have these also, as well as no sticks, pedals or seat. I have also had the borrowed kit and it's either too big or small dream.

My point exactly

Had one last week that was directly related to a thread I started. BeyondBetrayal told me in the thread to tighten the batter, in my dream I did and the technique worked. In my dream I remember thinking he told me to do it, so I will.

The book I'm reading purports that some of the greatest songs were "downloaded" to musicians in their sleep. Many many musician' accounts state that they didn't write the song, they "uncovered" it, like an architect. All of these accounts claim that the song wrote itself in a very short period of time as well.

The book states that music is the bridge between finite and the infinite. So there is a pathway. It doesn't surprise me at all that info can travel down that pathway when we are free from our conscious mind.

There are a few songs cited as examples of songs that were "given" to musicians. They have to do with other-wordly beings and experiences.

The lyrics of Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush", the last 2 verses especially, and the entire lyric of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" are offered up as examples of this "download" phenomena. Listen to Kashmir with the lyrics and read them as you're listening. It describes something that doesn't take place on earth. I heard it a million times yet I never got the story being told.

Neil Young..."All in a dream" is part of the lyric to "After the Gold Rush". Neil states it right there. The next line..."The loading had begun"....what do you think he meant by that? Downloading? The chosen ones getting on board the spaceship?

The book also states that dreams scramble almost everything....vision, places, people, situations...but not music. Music remains unaltered in this "download" state. That's what this book is stating. The only catch is that it has to be written down immediately or it won't be remembered in the morning. So a lot of songs were written by musicians who woke up in the middle of the night with inspiration, dashed off to their instrument and banged it out quickly.

For those interested, the book is called. "Tuned In: The Paranormal World of Music" by Grant Cameron.

Neil Young's lyrics:

Well, I dreamed I saw the knights
In armor coming,
Saying something about a queen.
There were peasants singing and
Drummers drumming
And the archer split the tree.
There was a fanfare blowing
To the sun
That was floating on the breeze.
Look at Mother Nature on the run
In the nineteen seventies.
Look at Mother Nature on the run
In the nineteen seventies.

I was lying in a burned out basement
With the full moon in my eyes.
I was hoping for replacement
When the sun burst thru the sky.
There was a band playing in my head
And I felt like getting high.
I was thinking about what a
Friend had said
I was hoping it was a lie.
Thinking about what a
Friend had said
I was hoping it was a lie.

Well, I dreamed I saw the silver
Space ships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun,
There were children crying
And colors flying
All around the chosen ones.
All in a dream, all in a dream
The loading had begun.
They were flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home in the sun.
Flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home.

Led Zeppelin's Kashmir lyrics:

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face
With stars to fill my dream
I am a traveler of both time and space
To be where I have been

Sit with elders of the gentle race
This world has seldom seen
Talk of days for which they sit and wait
And all will be revealed

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace
Sounds caress my ear
But not a word I heard could I relate
The story was quite clear

Oh, baby, I been flying
No, yeah, mama, there ain't no denyin'
Ooh, yeah I've been flying
Mama, mama, ain't no denyin', no denyin'

All I see turns to brown
As the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand
As I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace
Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place
Yellow desert stream

My Shangri-La beneath the summer moon
I will return again
Sure as the dust that floats high in June
When movin' through Kashmir.

Oh, father of the four winds, fill my sails
Across the sea of years
With no provision but an open face
Along the straits of fear

When I'm on, when I'm on my way
When I see, when I see the way, you stay

When I'm down
When I'm down, so down
Ooh, my baby, ooh, my baby, let me take you there
Come on, come on
Let me take you there, let me take you there.

Last edited:
Always dream that I'm playing a huge gig and don't have sticks...or the sticks I do have are super short or spaghetti thin. Freud might have something to say about that I guess... :)

I've been invited on to stage by Placebo and (randomly) Barenaked Ladies... Possibly REM too actually.

Obviously every time there's something oddly wrong, like the sticks are made of sponge, or the kit's tiny - the kind of mad stuff that only makes sense in dreams.

Same dream almost every time. Can't get my bass drum pedals positioned. I'm usually sitting about a foot off the floor so my knees are up to my chest and I can't operate the pedals.

Ok....Im seeing a pattern here. Has anyone ever had a drumming dream where you killed it and were totally satisfied? My best dream ever happened when I was very young, and although not drumming related, there was a percussive element.

Ok....Im seeing a pattern here. Has anyone ever had a drumming dream where you killed it and were totally satisfied? My best dream ever happened when I was very young, and although not drumming related, there was a percussive element.

Only the one I mentioned that was related to the thread I made. I grasped the technique in my dream. Still can't do it while awake though.

Very often I have a dream about trying to set up the drums but there's stuff missing or broken, and I'm apparently late and holding up the show.

Other times I dream that I find myself in a barn or warehouse or whatever and I'm finding old, used gear that is just barely nonfunctional or is not really useful (aka 6" cup chimes... hundreds of them) and looking for some diamond in the rough like an EAK Zildjian or something.

Never, but I use to have a recurring dream with three bears-seriously, then there was the driving off the road into the abyss, then driving off into the abyss that was water and drowning, then a dream where some fool is trying to kill me so I "have to" kill him-which I never could figure why not just run away-but heck no I want blood too (neither of us ever die-it's like those old Kung fu movies where lots of butt kicking but no death. Scary stuff-thankfully it's just my brain defunking and don't mean nothing-hopefully. Ou, ah, ah, ah.

Other times I dream that I find myself in a barn or warehouse or whatever and I'm finding old, used gear that is just barely nonfunctional or is not really useful (aka 6" cup chimes... hundreds of them) and looking for some diamond in the rough like an EAK Zildjian or something.

Was this dream before or after the Ludwig Standard find?

It sounds like they are for sure related.

I want to say I've told this here before but I do remember one drumming nightmare I had.

It was a really cool dream to start. Somehow I was hanging out with the foo fighters, and we got to jamming. The jamming was going super amazing and we're all rocking out to classic foo songs. It comes to an end as the guys tell me that they actually have a really big show that night and start piling into a van that will take them there. Dave was over-the-moon happy about how well I played the songs and lots of back slaps were had.

It was a long time ago, I don't remember what happened, but Taylor goes down for the count and gets taken off in a ambulance I think. Dave asks me to fill in, just for the show, and since this is a dream and our jamming was going so well just before I said "sure!".

So we arrive at the "venue" and it's a huge stadium style gig with what looks like hundreds of thousands in a sea of fans stretched before the stage. That makes me nervous to say the least, as that's not what I envisioned when I said sure.

Anyway. On to the part I remember best:

We take the stage. First song is counted off and I'm feeling okay. Then things quickly turn into a nightmare. My right foot will not work. I say again, my right foot turns into this spastic, slow, useless appendage that will not listen to the signals my brain is sending. It sounds absolutely garbage horrible and the giant crowd is just not having it. I'm looking out at a sea of upset people thinking this is a joke or something. We finally make it to the end of the first song,(crowd is crickets) and Dave turns around with the worst most pitying, pathetic "what the hell was that" look on his face, and spits out the mortifying line: "Came in a little late on that one, huh?"

And then I wake up. - Heart pounding, feeling sick with embarrassment and failure and regret. Took a few hours to clear my head from that one. I sometimes wonder what it was in my sub-conscious that created this unrealistic scenario.

Never drums but I was playing bass with the Stones and I had no freaking clue what I was doing and wondering how I ended up in that position.

Also, same dream but I was on the court in the NBA.

Was this dream before or after the Ludwig Standard find?

It sounds like they are for sure related.

You NEVER know when lightning will strike twice. It actually kind of did when I found that A Zildjian & Cie Constantinople in the pawn shop for $60.

Back