Now it's my turn!

Andy

Honorary Member
To be the "sound guy" who every drummer loves to hate :)

It seems our band PA & lights are attracting some attention. I've recently received my first booking for our system, a 3 day mini festival. It's held on a cider farm in the most beautiful setting. Ciders galore (of course), + hog roasts & all other good country stuff, camping, all night bar, etc. I'm doing it at a reduced rate as it's only 5 miles from my house, plus I'm keen to support local music events. Fee still provides a welcome contribution though - not too shabby at all :) Expected audience only around 500, so I'm packing a 6 box 7k FOH + 2K on monitors system, & a fairly powerful LED light system with full trussing.

Anyhow, 16 bands over 3 days. Every style from folk to an ACDC tribute band, punk to funk, + everything in between. I'm reasonably experienced on FOH sound, so shouldn't be any huge challenges. Trailer already packed up & ready to roll. Of course, I'll be refusing to mic unported bass drum heads & slapping gaffer tape on everything ;) ;) ;) I strongly suspect my rapid tuning fixes will be deployed a lot. I've already had three drummers email me & ask if I can tune their kits before they hit the stage. Extra charge?

EDIT: In case you're wondering, the short pre-configured truss is for drum & effect lighting. I'm just being lazy by taking it there already cabled up :) The big flight case you can see carries all the barn door floods & stuff, & the black bags you can see the end of, are the other trussing sections. Subs & tops buried underneath. A&H Mixwiz in the flight case fore & far left, & multicore drum.

Attachments

• load up.jpg
    load up.jpg
    836.8 KB · Views: 726
A man of many talents! Oh...and can you help me tune my drums? (For free of course but I'll be forever grateful).

Thats a seriously impressive rig! Does it not scare the punters? I used to play with a band that had an engineer/guitarist who used to bring half of Knebworth to pub gigs- even when we weren't very loud, the punters used to run simply because they were intimidated by the size of our stacks (Spinal Tap style pun intended!).

A man of many talents! Oh...and can you help me tune my drums? (For free of course but I'll be forever grateful).
I'd be happy to Mary, but remote tuning is a challenge i can't get my head around :( That's one hell of a long drum key ;)

Thats a seriously impressive rig! Does it not scare the punters?
Nah :) Our punters expect a rock show, & they get one! This rig punches well above it's weight too. Like in all things, quality is everything. We put our rig up against a much bigger rig at the Harley gig recently. Ours was 7K (RMS), theirs was 12K plus, & physically 3 times the size. Ours put theirs to shame in all respects. You can hear it (albeit from 200ft away & recorded on a Zoom camera) here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU_7UIZ-mmU&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Our Logic System subs really move a lot of air for their size. Damn heavy for a compact cab though at 146 lbs each!!! We have 4 of those.

Damn straight. Only mothers hold hands for the love of it.

Sounds like a blast.
Yes, it should be fun, especially as my rider includes unlimited free cider/soft drinks & hog roast, etc - plus 10 x gratis 3 day tickets :)

Yes, it should be fun, especially as my rider includes unlimited free cider/soft drinks & hog roast, etc - plus 10 x gratis 3 day tickets :)

And NO green M&Ms :)

Doing live sound is the most thankless job I have ever had. I dont envy you for what you will likely have to endure. The later the night goes the more shit you will likely have to deal with as the bands and crowd tend to get less amicable the more beer they drink.

Good luck, I hope it goes well. Any time you can get paid to be involved in live music it is a good thing indeed. Cant wait to hear the report.

146 lbs each??

That makes my back ache thinking about it.

Davo
They're on wheels Dave, & we have crew who lift that stuff :)

And NO green M&Ms :)
Absolutely not!

Doing live sound is the most thankless job I have ever had. I dont envy you for what you will likely have to endure. The later the night goes the more shit you will likely have to deal with as the bands and crowd tend to get less amicable the more beer they drink.

Good luck, I hope it goes well. Any time you can get paid to be involved in live music it is a good thing indeed. Cant wait to hear the report.
Lucky for me, I'm a pretty resistant sort, but also take zero crap from anyone. At this event, there's a stage manager, & he can deal with all the petty crap :)

I don't envisage doing this kind of hire very often. The gear is primarily for band use, but I'm not opposed to earning some cash to help pay for upkeep. I'm also keen to support local music events, & I actually have ulterior motives for doing this too :)

(spoken like "The Church Lady") Ulterior motives eh? One can't help but wonder....Gee I wonder what it could be....I really have no clue....Could it possibly be...

SATAN?

Here's my take on life at Andy's house.

Andy's wife: Andy, could you make me a cup of coffee?

Andy: OK babe, I'll roast the first batch from our new COFFEE PLANTATION we planted.

Andy's wife: Andy, could you help me clean the kitchen floor?

Andy: OK hon, just as soon as I call the crew over so we can set up the lighting trusses so we don't miss any dirt.

Andy's wife: Andy, the car is low on petrol, could you fill it up for me?

Andy: Great timing pumpkin! The backyard oil well and refinery just came online.

Andy's wife: Andy, we're fresh out of milk, can you go fetch some?

Andy: Didn't you see the new cow holder I installed next to the fridge?

Andy's wife: Andy, I need a little spending cash, I need a new dress.

Andy: I'm way ahead of you sugar. I was gonna surprise you, but our new spider silk facility in the barn is at peak output and I made THIS for you while you were in the bathroom

Andy's wife: Oh Andy!

Andy: :) :) :) Here you go precious

Andy's wife and Andy: kiss kiss kiss

Remember to be a total curmudgeon ....and nothing, no matter what , is ever good enough, loud enough, goes low enough, is big enough, or small enough, or just right enough for anything. Ever.
Argue with everyone, make sure you always have the last word. You are always correct.
Those people who think they know it all really piss off those of us who actually do.

Then you'll be fine :)

Neal

Sounds like a fun festival. Have fun and take no crap from the whiners. Oh and you wont need to tune my drums I am a big boy and know how to turn a drum key. LMAO Have fun lad.

...and don't forget:

"testing, one two, one two, sibilance, sibilance"

and the monster roll of gaffa tape hanging off your jeans!

And to think I merely put in a colored bulb in my nightlight behind me for ambience.
Fine for lounge ;)

Sounds like fun!

I hope so, I am looking forward to it :)

(

Here's my take on life at Andy's house.

Andy's wife: Andy, could you make me a cup of coffee?

Andy: Fantasy - OK babe, I'll roast the first batch from our new COFFEE PLANTATION we planted.

Reality - Yes dear.

Andy's wife: Andy, could you help me clean the kitchen floor?

Andy: Fantasy - OK hon, just as soon as I call the crew over so we can set up the lighting trusses so we don't miss any dirt.

Reality - While you go out for lunch? - yes dear.

Andy's wife: Andy, the car is low on petrol, could you fill it up for me?

Andy: Fantasy - Great timing pumpkin! The backyard oil well and refinery just came online.

Reality - Again!!!!!

Andy's wife: Andy, we're fresh out of milk, can you go fetch some?

Andy: Fantasy - Didn't you see the new cow holder I installed next to the fridge?

Reality - Yes dear.

Andy's wife: Andy, I need a little spending cash, I need a new dress.

Andy: Fantasy - I'm way ahead of you sugar. I was gonna surprise you, but our new spider silk facility in the barn is at peak output and I made THIS for you while you were in the bathroom

Reality - Yes dear.

Andy's wife: Fantasy - Oh Andy!

Reality: Get off Drummerworld!

Andy's wife and Andy: Fantasy - kiss kiss kiss

Reality - Yes dear :(
Responses in bold Larry ;)

Remember to be a total curmudgeon ....and nothing, no matter what , is ever good enough, loud enough, goes low enough, is big enough, or small enough, or just right enough for anything. Ever.
Argue with everyone, make sure you always have the last word. You are always correct.
Those people who think they know it all really piss off those of us who actually do.

Then you'll be fine :)

Neal
Got it in one Neal ;) ;) ;)

Sounds like a fun festival. Have fun and take no crap from the whiners. Oh and you wont need to tune my drums I am a big boy and know how to turn a drum key. LMAO Have fun lad.
Thanks Angus :)

the monster roll of gaffa tape hanging off your jeans!
Banned from all drum applications!

I used to have one of those spool thingies, heaviest part of the rig. Junked it for a 150' Whirlwind in a flight case. Until I heard about your subs? 146#? I guess for a guy who works with tree stumps everyday it's par for the course. Cubo subs work just fine for me and I can move them around by myself.

I had my first experience taking my new PA out to a gig last week. It's much smaller than yours, but was still way better than the house PA. Since we had a big touring band coming through town (who is also a local favorite), we had to bring something better than what the venue provided if we wanted to have a great show.

I had to load it myself, because the host of the show was supposed to stop by and help me, but didn't show up until I had everything but my guitar in the trailer. Each of our PA cabinets weigh 101 pounds, and my guitar cabinet weighs at least 80. My guitar head, in the flight case weighs just as much, I would wager. My back is still hurting me. I weigh about 160 pounds, so it was just miserable.

But it sounds like a great fest! Hope it's fun!

Looks like a fun gig Andy. Make sure you bring a good supply of heavy things to throw at the singers and guitar players for the inevitable "uuuhh... could I get a little more of my [guitar/vocals] in the monitor please?"

Back