Lightnin' Strikes / Let's Hang On / Lover's Concerto

drstrangefunk

sounds like the same band...anybody know who they are ?

especially the drummer.

I'm guessing all NYC tracks... maybe Gary Chester? Purdie will probably say he did them. :)

Bermuda

Well, I almost picked up the rather rare LP by The Toys last week at my local vinyl shop that Lover's Concerto appeared on. Cool LP cover (below).. Love the song. There's a definite Motown vibe to it. I have no idea. Is this a quiz? Anyway, gotta play the song now 100x in row...thanks!

Attachments

• toys (V0029720).JPG
    toys (V0029720).JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 212
Well, I almost picked up the rather rare LP by The Toys last week at my local vinyl shop that Lover's Concerto appeared on. Cool LP cover (below).. Love the song. There's a definite Motown vibe to it. I have no idea. Is this a quiz? Anyway, gotta play the song now 100x in row...thanks!

that is a cool cover.

no, it's not a quiz : )...i really want to know this stuff. about six months ago i noticed that Lover's Concerto and Let's Hang On are practically the same song. last night i heard Lightnin' Strikes and wondered who the drummer was....research led me guitarist Ralph Casale who played on all three songs...which solidified the notion that it was the same band...but still no identification of the drummer.

here's a great interview with Ralph, if you're interested in the New York scene of the 60's: http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/ralph_casale_-_session_pro/

research led me guitarist Ralph Casale who played on all three songs...

If he's still alive, track him down and ask him! I did that with one of the guys from the Soul Searchers, who did Asley's Roachclip, whose drum break was sampled and used fror A MILLION songs in the last 20 years! Turns out the drummer was... awww, I'm not gonna make it that easy for ya!

I looked up Gary Chester, and he (claims he) played on a very respectable number of hits. I say "claims" because he and a few other guys claim drummership for some of the same songs. Anyway, he's not listed for the 3 songs in question, although he does say he's recorded/played (?) with Lou Christie. Seems like that would be a hit worth mentioning of true.

Bermuda

I don't know who the drummer (s) were but Lightnin' Strking was done by Lou Christie and Let's Hang On was done by Frankie Valli....

both songs (Lover's Concerto and Let's Hang On) were written and produced by Sandy Linzer and Denny Randell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Linzer_and_Denny_Randell who usually worked with Bob Crewe (Four Seasons producer) and probably used the same musicians. Lightnin' Strikes sounds like the same band (more or less), or at the very least, the same drummer.

Last edited:
If he's still alive, track him down and ask him! I did that with one of the guys from the Soul Searchers, who did Asley's Roachclip, whose drum break was sampled and used fror A MILLION songs in the last 20 years! Turns out the drummer was... awww, I'm not gonna make it that easy for ya!

Bermuda

i have heard that title, and i believe i listened to the song once. i'll look it up...um...later.

oh...and "Booooooo". : )

thanks Bermuda.

edited to add: i just listened to Ashley's Roachclip...those hats are so smooth. i wonder what kind of hats he played ?

and why were hats so clanky at times, back in the day ? Theme From Shaft is a great song/part, but the hats are quite clanky.

yep, i recognised the breakdown beat from Pump Up The Volume (M.A.R.R.S.) and Paid In Full (Eric B. & Rakim) and countless others. now i'm intrigued.

Back