Yamaha 3 cymbal setup with Roland kick pad

tjodalv43

Hi all! I apologize in advance if this is in a thread that already exists but the length of the question made it tough to find it just look at thread titles.

I have a Yamaha DTXpress IV Special. I want to get a Roland mesh kick pad to make the kit quieter and give me a little better feel than the KP65 I have (which my Axis pedal also slowly whittling away at the rubber on). However the 3rd cymbal cord routes through the KP65 via a jack that is not present on any Roland kick pad. I believe this is due to the fact that there are not enough jacks on the brain for the 3rd cymbal so they routed it through the kick. I was wondering if anyone knows of any setup (using a splitter, etc.) that would allow me to have the 3 cymbal setup with a Roland pad. Any responses or directions to a thread on the matter would be much appreciated! :D

Thanks!

Mason

Just split off one of your other cymbals or tom…just know that you'll lose a zone on the main cymbal or tom when you do (both will be mono)…your manual will show a picture of what splitter to use (pg. 9)….

Alrighty, so I got the splitter. I broke out the manual and actually read it (haha), which was also instrumental in getting a Roland kick to trigger correctly with the Yamaha brain, but that's another story. I've tried to route the 3rd crash through both toms 2 and 3, but when I do the brain doesn't seem to register the 3rd cymbal. When I hit it, it triggers as if I were hitting the tom that I had split to it. I will say that just once, I hit the cymbal and saw that it registered as trigger "12" but then it went back to just triggering the tom again. I honestly don't know what happened there and haven't been able to recreate it. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

For what its worth, until I figure this out, I've currently got the 3rd crash split through the 1st crash. It mimics all 3 zones and can't seem to be programmed separately. I'd obviously like to get it to route through a tom, since those are already mono, but I could work with the loss of one of the cymbal zones for the gain of another crash. But its pointless while it is just a repeater. Thanks for any advice! :)

Back