Connecting my roland TD-12 to logic Via Midi to USB

Hey there,
I recently got a td-12 and want to record it with logic. I bought a midi to usb cable and logic did recognise that it is connected. However when i hit a pad nothing happens also when i try and record. I first thought it could have been a faulty wire but i got another one and neither would work so i must be doing something wrong. It could be something fairly obvious, as i am very new to using midi.

Would really appreciate anyone advice and help,
thanks

It might be easier to start with audio?

Use a USB interface 1/4" lead from mono out to USB input then connect USB lead to your PC.

You will need to open an audio track in Logic.

I've tried the midi input but have never got it to work myself!

Cheers
Davo

I have tried recording audio before but it only goes into one channel to its hard to edit.

I have now figured out the problem i had, I flipped the Midi in and out on my td12. I read on another forum that sometimes they label it opposite to what you expect.

I'm not super familiar with logic, but it if is similar to Protools, make sure you have the track input set to receive from the port (USB cable). Just because logic recognizes the midi input does not necessarily mean the individual track is set to receive the signal.

Also, go to the track midi settings and make sure it is set to receive and send on Midi "channel 10. "

Midi has 16 internal channels. All percussion modules default to midi channel 10. Typically, the midi on a DAW is defaulted to channel 1 (because they assume you'll be hooking up a keyboard first).

First, check that you're getting signals on Logic. Then remember to put a synth or drum-machine on the actual track. Also remember to install correct drivers.

Thanks for the help everyone!
I have managed to get it working, I read somewhere that sometimes they label the in and out on the midi cable wrong so i changed them round and it is now working

Back