Weirdest thing you've used as a throne?

As far as I can remember, I've always used a throne, except when recording demos at our guitarist's place. His Roland kit is outfitted with an office chair.

when i was in my early years i used my baby high chair with the back, arms, and tray removed. i kid you not! i used it all the way through high school.

I once had to use an old plastic crate of some sort, because I managed to forget my throne at a gig in town the night before. I found the plastic crate at our old rehearsal place, it was awful trying to sit on. It bent down in the middle whenever I planted my ass on it. And last year I did a small radio-gig where I was called in on the afternoon the day before to rehearse. On the gig itself, I sat on a small 5W guitar amplifier and played brushes on a snare that rested on the floor and my left leg x-)

I've used a lawn chair before. I had a gig and forgot my throne somehow, and the bar told me I couldn't take one of the chairs from inside so I had to use a flimsy plastic lawn chair from the patio!

Nothing weird in the throne department, but I once managed to get to a rehearsal without any sticks!!! We were in a building that had a kitchen, so I looked through the drawers and found two fish slices - they worked really well!!! :eek:)

I had a crappy drum stool that broke and was forced to use a wood kitchen chair for about a month until I could buy a new one. The Pearl Roadster throne has never done me wrong.

in a street band long ago, playing swing in nyc -it was great times. 2 trumpets, 1 trombone, 1 tenor sax, 1 tuba, and myself(with snare, hi-hat, and ride cymbal)...we were totally mobile, moving to our hot spots on foot and subway. so my throne was a trumpet case on end. i even have a picture somewhere. anyway it worked fine-in fact i never thought anything of it til i saw this thread...weird thrones and other gear-related weirdness(usually)makes for good memories though.

Last edited:
Well I've used a computer chair a couple of times :p

Nothing weird in the throne department, but I once managed to get to a rehearsal without any sticks!!! We were in a building that had a kitchen, so I looked through the drawers and found two fish slices - they worked really well!!! :eek:)

Once got to a gig wo sticks so I found a closet with wooden hangers and used the dowls from them. Nsecessity is the mother...

I once used my dog cleatus as a throne....it worked quite well.

a broom stick.....
my floor tom
the wall behind me..
once i set up in front of a fountain at a wedding and used that

I've used a high-chair and a bar stool from our bar at home. The one i used the most was one of those trash cans with the lid and the foot lever that they have at the doctors office.. I used that thing for years! It was about 2 feet tall and I'm pretty sure it's what screwed up my posture. Now when i play, my left foot doesn't rest strait on the hi-hat stand, I put my foot going across it or just barely hanging on the side of it, can't help it!

I left my throne at home one time for a gig. I send the wife to go grab it, but we had to go on before she got back. At the last minute I realized she was not coming in time so I used my bass drum hard case as a throne for a few songs. It was a little low and definitely not pleasing on the derrier, but it worked.

Did the same, took up too much room as well for the gig I was doing.

I used a $1 Goodwill wooden stool with a hard wooden top. I lopped the legs off a bit to shorten it, tied a cusion on the top, and spray painted it neon green for maximum Ghetto-style looks! I used it for years too until it fell apart.

Then I bought a Roc-N-Soc nitro throne and played it for ten minutes and realized how foolish I was for having gone through 3 drumkits each of increasing value while still using that crappy wooden chair.

Moral? Buy the best throne you can find because you will want to practice more if yer astlebar is comfy. Consider a backrest for it too, especially if you play double kicks.

one of the drummers i have played with used a white plastic bucket. the kind industrial stuff comes in. he preferred it.

Back