Remo Vintage Ambassadors

ed_chisholm

Hi guys,

I'm going to re head my Gretsch New Classic. I've always used standard Remo Ambassadors so far with much happiness, but I've not used the Vintage Ambassadors for myself yet. Anyone have any opinions either way between the two?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

The Vintage As are 2-ply which gives them a pretty different sound compared to regular Ambassadors. Personally, I would prefer them for tom heads, but that depends if you like the additional depth and diminished resonance from a regular Ambassador.

There are some RVA's on my Yamaha MCAN 12" and 16" toms and they sound good on those toms.

I also had one of the 14" and it sounded not bad.

I really didn't care for the sound on:

My 10" tom on the same set
My Ludwig Hammered Bronze 6.5 x 14 snare.

Both of these drums lost some of their pizzazz so I went back to a regular Ambassador on the 10" and either a CS underside Dot or Emperor on the Ludwig.

YMMV

Jim

Thanks for both replies so far. I may try them some time, but to be honest I may take my own advice on "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Nothing wrong with standard ones at all, just curious!

Iv'e got Vintage A's on my 12" &14" toms and they sound awesome. I find they have a much 'fatter' sound than normal ambassadors, but with a bit less resonance. They also feel alot softer on the stick than a thicker head.
Hi guys,

I'm going to re head my Gretsch New Classic. I've always used standard Remo Ambassadors so far with much happiness, but I've not used the Vintage Ambassadors for myself yet. Anyone have any opinions either way between the two?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

I've recently had a lot of success finding my sound with the Vintage line.

I use the Vintage Ambassadors on my Ludwig snares (Acrolite, Supra) and clear Vintage Emperors on my toms. Really warm and full sounds. I did try a VA on my 14x6.5 Yamaha Brass Recording snare and it's OK, I think I'll go back to a Coated Reverse Dot for durability and sonic quality I was used to.

Overall though, really nice heads.

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

Ed

I don't think I've played the New Classics but I do like the Vintage A heads. Very warm and toned. Depending on what kind of sound your drums naturally make you'll either like them or dislike them. My guess is since you've used regular Ambassadors on it you'll notice a warmer, thicker sound with just a little more sustain.

As mentioned, the Vintage A oddly enough IS a two-ply head, as opposed to the one ply. The second ply is only like 3 mil thick so it's not a major difference but it may be noticeable. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Total thickness between the Vintage As and the normal As are about the same.
The difference as stated is the Vintage As are 7.5+3 mil where the As are 10 mil.

The Vintage As do have a bit warmer sound I think due to the two plys.

Thanks for the further replies. Still not got around to changing them yet as the Evans G2's which came with the kit still sound fantastic, but I'll certainly give the Vintage A's a go. Sound quite suited to how I tune my New Classic - with the Ambassadors I have them fairly loose with a touch of moongels - certainly not dead, but I have found them to be quite lovely drums with the current heads and no dampening. With the Vintage A's I may not have to bother with the moongels which would be nice. I'll try and remember to post on here when I do change them over. I'll also swap out he reso heads to clear ambassadors at the same time, so should breathe new life into the kit!

Thanks for the further replies. Still not got around to changing them yet as the Evans G2's which came with the kit still sound fantastic, but I'll certainly give the Vintage A's a go. Sound quite suited to how I tune my New Classic - with the Ambassadors I have them fairly loose with a touch of moongels - certainly not dead, but I have found them to be quite lovely drums with the current heads and no dampening. With the Vintage A's I may not have to bother with the moongels which would be nice. I'll try and remember to post on here when I do change them over. I'll also swap out he reso heads to clear ambassadors at the same time, so should breathe new life into the kit!

now put some normal coated A's under those vintage A's and you'll have quite a sound.

Back