About bass drum reso heads

ThirdAlternativ

I own an eighties Tama rockstar bass drum (22"). When I bought it in 2009 (second hand of course), I tested it in this local drumstore and the bass drum just sounded huge and fat: everything I ever wanted from a bass drum. The rest of the drumkit sounded ok, but nothing fancy. I bought it because it was a very good deal, but especcially the bass drum convinced me.

When I got home I changed the reso head because I had bought a Tama Starclassic reso head (very thin head). One year later I realise that that might have been a mistake because the bass drum doesn't at all sound like it once had.

My question is whether I can retrieve the deep, fat, huge sound by replacing the thin reso head by a thicker one and which one? What effect has a thin or thick bass drum reso head?

Thanks

If you haven't tuned the reso head at all, then after a year it's guaranteed to be stretched and bent and vibrated a lot so the shape and, therefore, the sound will now be different.

It's still the same head so just have a little tinker round and find that PHAT tone again.
xoxo

Back