"Smaller Kit Syndrome"

Right now im looking into purchasing a 5 piece kit, and when i eventually buy it, im going to set it up in a 4 piece style with one rack tom to the left, and the other in the standard position.

Even though i don't like this set up, what makes it more efficient for me to play on, is both the rack toms are an inch shallower than my current toms, and the bass is a 20 inch instead of 22 inch. So with 3 more inches of clearance, i can set my toms lower, and further over my kick, which is how i like them, and it will help with my "hi hat problem" of cutting my hand, or hitting my hats when i use my 10 inch tom.

Problem (hopefully soon) solved :D

Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

I simply can't play if my rack toms are set too high. It's just imposible for me to move around and reach effciently if they are mounted to high and it's one of the reasons why I like 18 and 20 inch bass drums so much because the rack tom clearance will be lower and can reach over them much easier. Needless to say I don't like kits with bigger (diameter) sized bass drums.....

Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

I simply can't play if my rack toms are set too high. It's just imposible for me to move around and reach effciently if they are mounted to high and it's one of the reasons why I like 18 and 20 inch bass drums so much because the rack tom clearance will be lower and can reach over them much easier. Needless to say I don't like kits with bigger (diameter) sized bass drums.....

I really like the idea of a 20 inch kick. Its easy to get punch for rock metal and punk, and still get a nice thud. the longer ones, when tuned right can also get a nice resonant boom

I really like the idea of a 20 inch kick. Its easy to get punch for rock metal and punk, and still get a nice thud. the longer ones, when tuned right can also get a nice resonant boom

Longer depth 18" and 20" inch basses are A W E S O M E.

Longer depth 18" and 20" inch basses are A W E S O M E.

the kit im looking at has a 20x20, and the depth wont really effect my rebound, because i play with a high spring tension :p

My gig kit is a 16" BD, 14" snare, 14" suspended tom, 1 crash, 1 ride, 1 hat.

I yo-yo'd from a 5 piece to a Ludwig Octaplus back to a one up two down. I think I have found stability now.

GJS

Back