Why I Never Collected Famous People’s Autographs

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Why I Never Collected Famous People’s Autographs
by Scott K Fish
Posted on February 16, 2015

img-20121230-00601.jpg

As a freelance writer, and as Managing Editor of Modern Drummer magazine, every interview was an opportunity to ask a famous musician or music personality for his or her autograph.

I didn’t do that because I felt that asking for a signature was like saying goodbye: “We will never pass this way again, so how about your autograph?” I was interested in keeping relationships alive, keeping doors open. In some cases, those relationships became lifelong friendships.

Also, when meeting someone – famous musicians or otherwise – I think of it as one human being meeting another. Not music writer meeting a star. My job is to stay focused, to be the best interviewer I can be, and to then edit the whole, according to magazine’s specifications, into an accurate, readable presentation of what the interviewee said.

Caveat: I once asked Mel Lewis to autograph his, “Mel Lewis & Friends” album. I saved letters, notes, Christmas cards, audiotapes from famous musicians. I save letters, notes, Christmas cards from family members too.

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Last edited:
Back in the days I had autograph's signature from Simon Phillips, Dennis Chambers, Gregg Bissonette, Trilok Gurtu, Mark Brezicki...

Since, I've met several famous drummers or other famous musicians, but I've never bothered asking for their autographs, I focussed on talking drums, music and life with them, the memories of chatting and meeting these interesting people will stay with me for the rest of my life, I don't need a piece of paper to remind me :)

Oooops, sorry I lied... I've got Michele Drees autograph when I met her at the LDS in 2012, but we've met several times since and exchanged emails, so her signature wasn't a "Goodbye, we'll never meet again" scenario, in fact I know I'll meet her again :)

I also agree that the memory of the time I have had with famous musicians is much more precious to me than having their signature. Having a chat, sharing a laugh or gathering insight will always be much more important to me than a signature.

I think having a famous person's signature on a piece of paper is more so about being able to show it off to other people, and for the few signatures I have collected, I do not really have a memory attached to them.

I can see why people do obtain autographs. As you say you see it as a good-bye symbol, and to many of us rubbing elbows with known folks is a once in a life deal, and really could be good-bye. Not that we wish it that way, but circumstances just deem it so. I have been to many drum clinics and have tried to get the artists signature on a drum head becuase to me it says, I am honored to meet you, and would like a small token of such. Whether I see them again or it is goodbye is hard to tell. I would much rather get a photo of them and not necessarily with me, but just to say yeah I was there and thanks for taking the time. One very well know drummer came to a clinic, acted like he was Gods gift, and when it was over, hid in the back room until all of the patrons had left then packed up. And the funny thing is, this was the only clinic I have ever paid to attend. So no autograph, no photo, and no cares. I also see a difference in being with that person on that occassion because one was working and being paid as opposed to being there to meet and greet or to learn from their experience and knowledge.

Hi Scott,

I'm a long time reader of Modern Drummer. Before the internet, it was my only connection to the drumming world, as I live in a very small rural town with the closest musical scene around 50 miles away.

After a short "vacation" from the magazine, I recently started reading it again. I don't know how to put this in any other words, but the magazine now has a cheap feel to it. I don't mean editorially, but physically. The pages are now made of a cheaper paper that does not present photos clearly.

I know that magazines are having a tough time in the United States, so I attribute these changes to pure economics. I wish US magazines were able to compete at the levels that British magazines are known for with their large format, slick pages.

Honestly, I think that a key to the British magazine industry is their cheeky, irreverent editorial content. Their writers are hard to impress and write with a vibrant, enthusiastic demeanor. I read American and British motorcycle magazines, and the same characteristics are true there, too.

I don't mean this to come across as a bitter look at Modern Drummer, just observations on the way it is. British magazines are successful and American magazines are struggling. There has to be a reason, and we need to find out what that is before American magazines disappear altogether.

GeeDeeEmm

I can see both sides of this.

For me, the autograph is sort of an "I'll never see you again." (I live in Nebraska, which isn't exactly a hotbed of music activity, at least not the folks I want to see.) But it doesn't have any negative connotations for me. In fact, I recall my visit with them every time I see the autograph.

I have most of the autographs on drum heads hanging in my practice area. When I look at them, I have fond memories of the stories that each artist shared, the tips they gave me, the impromptu lessons, or just the time they took just to show what a professional they were, etc.

Would I have that inspiration without the display? Sure, but I love having such great memories hanging on my walls.

Last edited:
I had a pretty good collection of autographs from when I was a teen.

When I went to PIT, it was put in me that if you want to be a pro, you need to act like a pro, which means NOT acting like a fan boy, and play it cool when meeting someone well known.

And since then, I've met so many, but I've not asked for autographs or pictures.

There are few guys I've known for years and years, some from before they became well known, and yet, I have no real proof I know them. It's kind of odd seeing them tagged in so many pictures fans have taken, yet I barely have any picture of them, and certainly none from way back when.

With you on that, Scott, but posibly from another angle.

I dont believe in being in awe of someone, and asking for an autograph seems like that, to me anyway. I admire some people for there achievements or ability but asking for a signature is a bit fan-boi to me.

No matter how famous someone might be they are just people. the same as us.

As someone clever once said " They are not extraordinary people, they are just ordinary people that can do something extraordinarily well".

Perhaps I should clarify my original post. It is not meant as a broadside against autograph collectors or seekers.

When I am with a well-known musician because he or she has consented to an interview, and I am the interviewer -- asking for an autograph in that circumstance just strikes me as bad form. It is not much different than music writers who always try to include in their articles, photos of themselves with the subjects of their stories.

As I think back on my autographed "Mel Lewis and Friends" album - I brought that with me when I interviewed Mel for reference. Maybe so Mel could see I actually owned a copy for which I paid. I think Mel asked me if I would like him to sign the album. And I said yes.

In comparison, I carried with me a stack of Max Roach albums when I interviewed Max at his Connecticut home. Again, for reference. I never asked Max to sign any of them. Neither did he offer to sign them.

Best,
Scott K Fish

When I was 12 or 13, my family got to visit a famous drummer's Boxing Day party. He took me & my sister to his gear room and he talk to us about his gear and mostly his snare drum. He gave me a signed drum head to take with me.

A few weeks later, I needed a drum head and used this one. It was supposed to be very temporary, but it broke on the first hit. I was devastated.
That was in the mid-80's.

Fast forward to 2011. This same drummer was at my uncle's funeral. Everybody met up at a hall afterwards, and he was also there with some others. I didn't have anything much to say to him. He was my uncle's friend and talking shop wasn't exactly what he was there for. I had a snare drum in the car and a Sharpie, but I thought it would be in really poor taste to ask him to sign a drum head for me again at a funeral. So I left it alone. I know I'll never get the chance again, but I think it was the right thing to do.

Back in the day ,I busted a drumstick at a gig and afterwards one of the audience picked it up and asked me to sign it.

My feeling was wow,somebody actually thinks enough about me to ask for an autograph.

A few weeks later ,I see them at a gas station in my beat up 71 Pinto hatch back and they go into their car and show me the stick as a matter of pride.

I felt strange that they saw me as a hero,but if it makes them happy ,then so be it.

I see no reason why you shouldn't ask.as it is flattery, and we all need an ego boost once in a while(especially in this biz). .

I think it's cheesy too. I don't want to take the guys time up. Now throwing them a compliment...if it is really heartfelt....I would say that to them.

I think it's funny when I'm asked to sign something. It's happened a few times. I don't feel worthy lol.

I'll always take someones autograph when it is at the bottom right hand corner of a check

Ha!

I'm going to start taking a checkbook around for signatures when I see celebs.

Fantastic idea.

Ha!

I'm going to start taking a checkbook around for signatures when I see celebs.

Fantastic idea.

Silly rabbit, it's gotta be their checkbook to mean anything. You need to stop eating so much lettuce.

Back in the early 80's I was managing a Fairlanes Bowling center and the center a few mile away was hosting the PBA bowlers tour. The one that used to be on the TV on saturdays. My job was to protect or guard the bowlers paddock where they kept their gear and hung out waiting their turn.When the tourney was over a lady asked me if I could get Earl Anthonys autograph. She handed me the book that they bought as a souvenir and Earl was kind enough to sign it. As I handed it over the partition, another lady asked me for MY autograph, and asked me what page my photo was on. I explained that I wasn't in the book, without telling her I was working not bowling, and she said oh well can you sign it anyway. I did. And this was seen by a few other ladies, and before I knew it I had signed about 40 autographs. My boss and I were having a good laugh the next day.

Silly rabbit, it's gotta be their checkbook to mean anything. You need to stop eating so much lettuce.

Shows how often I deal with paper checks. It's probably been a few years since I wrote one or thought about it.

Anyway, I've seen "catch me if you can" so I'm pretty much an expert at changing the stuff on checks.

I usually don't ask for autographs either, but not for the same reason. I feel that it is an imposition on the "famous personality".

I am fortunate enough to only have one that is very special to me personally.
It was a gift from a friend.

It's the autograph of Louis Bellson.
What a guy!!!
I LOVE his playing.

Back