Expect band mates to help unload kit

TNA

So I had an audition today for a new band, and I had to bring my own kit for the audition. So I have to unload and set everything up, which takes multiple car trips and about 20 min set up. Meanwhile none of the other guys offer to help at all. This made me pretty mad, seeing as how I went to their house and they already had all of their gear set up and just watched me do everything. I know they were new guys, but by being in a band I sort of expect everyone to help with everyone's gear unloading for a gig or whatever because the band can't start playing until everyone is set up. I would have helped them if they had gear to unload. I know it is my kit and I should be responsible for my own things, but us drummers have a ton more stuff than the rest of the band. So does anyone else think that everyone in the band should help with unloading gear?

Last edited:
So I had an audition today for a new band, and I had to bring my own kit for the audition. So I have to unload and set everything up, which takes multiple car trips and about 20 min set up. Meanwhile none of the other guys offer to help at all. This made me pretty mad, seeing as how they already had all of their gear set up and just watched me do everything. I know they were new guys, but by being in a band I sort of expect everyone to help with everyone's gear unloading for a gig or whatever because the band can't start playing until everyone is set up. I would have helped them if they had gear to unload. I know it is my kit and I should be responsible for my own things, but us drummers have a ton more stuff than the rest of the band. So does anyone else think that everyone in the band should help with unloading gear?
Yes, KILL THEM ALL!! my band mates help out with my stuff, just as I help out with theirs, if I'm already set up. We work together. It's a little known concept called "a band". We work as a team, we fold around when someone needs some help, etc, etc.

Well, the whole "they were already set up and just watched" would have me a bit miffed as well. But if we were all setting up our stuff, I would totally understand that no one was available to help.

Again, it's another issue I'd be on the fence about. I'm pretty self-contained since everything is cased up and it all fits on my rock n roller cart to get from the truck into the venue in one trip. Sometimes when people help me unload/unpack things, it takes longer because then I have to direct traffic and tell them what to do. Not everyone understands that you shouldn't dump all the drummer stuff on the spot he's playing in, because then I have to move it all out of the way to set up! I suppose I appreciate the help from people who know what to do. If you don't know what to do and just want to grab a case and bring it in, I can handle that. Usually, I'm the first one in and no one is there to help me anyway.

Well, the whole "they were already set up and just watched" would have me a bit miffed as well. But if we were all setting up our stuff, I would totally understand that no one was available to help.

Again, it's another issue I'd be on the fence about. I'm pretty self-contained since everything is cased up and it all fits on my rock n roller cart to get from the truck into the venue in one trip. Sometimes when people help me unload/unpack things, it takes longer because then I have to direct traffic and tell them what to do. Not everyone understands that you shouldn't dump all the drummer stuff on the spot he's playing in, because then I have to move it all out of the way to set up! I suppose I appreciate the help from people who know what to do. If you don't know what to do and just want to grab a case and bring it in, I can handle that. Usually, I'm the first one in and no one is there to help me anyway.

Definitely agree with the whole bit about sometimes it hurts more than helps, I just have a car to fit all my stuff in and things have to go in a certain way to fit. But they should still offer, even if I do say that it would be easier to do it myself. And even though I may have to adjust it anyone can unfold a stand and stick a cymbal on it.

I'm usually satisfied when someone (or multiple people) at least "asks" if there is anything that can be done to help. The very moment I pick up a guitar, amp, bag, merch, whatever...we silently agree on that "band" mentality of it being an "us" thing.

As for your new bandmates,,,it could be a sign. It could be a test as well...

This is what God made geeky teens who want to get in on the music scene for. If the band isn't going to help, ask around for friends who want a couple of bucks or just want to be a part of the process. Roadies are always helpful.

That happens to me a lot.
There is one member in every band that just doesn't seem to get it that everyone should help carry.

There is one guitar player that I frequently play with that grabs his small amp and guitar, jumps in his car, and drives away without even saying goodbye at the end of a gig while we are all still putting stuff away.

Another guitar player always grabs something light like a mic stand and he walks around with it while the rest carry all of the big stuff.
I think that he really thinks that he is fooling us into thinking that he has helped.

I like it when bandmates help lug stuff to or from the car.

Agree that help in setting up is usually more trouble than it's worth, apart from holding the soft case open while the kick drum is lowered into it.

While I would expect a little help from established bandmates, you say you were there for an audition. That makes things a little different. I've carried all my own gear during every audition I can remember. The band doesn't know you or your gear at all at that point, and they're checking you out... "what is that he's carrying in? How many more cases is he going to drag in here? Man, we're a covers bar band, not Genesis playing the Royal Albert..." Now, following the audition, depending on the band's time and your attitude/performance, some of the guys might offer to help you pack out, but don't count on it.

A guitarist showing up to audition would likely have to carry all his own gear, so in their minds what's the difference?

If you go around town looking for bands that will help you out from the first, I'm sorry, you might get disappointed. But once you actually do get in the band, yes, it's reasonable to expect some help unless you're an ultra-portable drummer.

At gigs, I always help with tearing down the equipment and loading up cars/bags whatever it is.
usually one of the guys will give me a hand carrying my hardware case to and fro or grabbing a drum or two.

Maybe they were shy? or didn't it really occurr to them to offer and hand. In any case sounds like you may need to nip that little problem in the bud straight away,

We have had many an audition for my bands.
We always walk outside when the person arrives.
We greet him and we offer to help carry.
Some people don't like others to carry their gear so we always ask.

Those guys should have asked you if they could help you with the drums.

I've been very lucky. My former band members were the complete ish. I had my rack system numbered so that tubes matched up where they needed to be and toms/cymbals went where they needed to be.

My band members took it upon themselves to learn how it went together and where everything went. They (2 of them) had rack wrenches and drum keys and knew their way around my kit almost as well as I did.

As soon as they were done getting their stuff set up, tuned, etc. they came over and helped me. Everything worked like clockwork and we had a very efficient system.

I auditioned for a popular band that practiced in a converted warehouse (many practice studios, a recording studio, music shop, and performance place all in one building). I called them to let them know I had arrived- as instructed- and they all came down to greet me... with hand trucks! We got all my stuff onto 2 hand trucks and made one trip up the elevator. Very cool guys, very "team" oriented mindset and I can never speak badly about them even though I didn't get the gig.

A.J.

I've never really auditioned...well, kind of. But if I do, they come to my place where my drums are. It's easier to carry in an amp and turn it on than it is to set up a kit, in my opinion.

But for an audition, I think If I were a guitarist I would let you carry your stuff in, not really as a test, but to see how you handle yourself. At gigs, of course we all help each other.

At auditions I wouldn't expect anyone to set up/carry my gear other than myself.
This is the same whether it's a band or a solo artist with backing band.

That said I also wouldn't necessarily trust a random person with my gear. Depends on how competent people seem and how well I know them.

We're talking auditions with people I don't know. With established bands we all help each other out, one person being slower means everyone is slower.

I've rarely ever had band members help me.

I think it's rude when the guitarists, singer, whomever doesn't at least offer, but after so many years of not getting help, I got used to it.

But then again, that's one of the reasons I rarely actually play outside of my house these days. My next kit is going to be small, simple, with a durable wrap, so I can easily toss it in my car.

I'm with Bo on this one. I can see both sides of this one. Actually, I lean more towards the "I'd rather do it myself" group.

When I've had people help in the past it just turned into a huge cluster that took more time and stress than if I would have done it on my own.

I never minded helping setup amps and stuff for the guys in the band that I played in but I'm a little picky when it comes to my own gear.

The most recent issue was at a gig we played a few months ago. It was a 3 band gig and the following act helped take down my drum kit between sets. It was complete chaos. Some parts ended up on the opposite sides of the room; I had to force my way through the crowd to get everything. Cymbals were taken off and layed elsewhere...utter confusion. I was like that mother that loses her child in a crowd. Where's my baby?!

I also saw our old bass player help out another drummer at a gig; he dropped the dude's snare drum and rolled halfway across a parking lot. He was a bit clumsy...

So just be thankful that no overeager roadie wannabes jumped in to help you set up. Sometimes it's best just to do it yourself and know that if anything gets broken, it's your own fault.

Agree that help in setting up is usually more trouble than it's worth, apart from holding the soft case open while the kick drum is lowered into it.

Hey Polly, here's a tip I discovered years ago when I used a bag for the bass drum:
I leave the drum on the floor, tip it head up, and pull the bag down on top and over it. Then tip it back over to zip up the other side. I learned that because no one ever helps too!

I am in the "don't expect too much from others and you won't be too disappointed" group. It is a bummer when others don't help but in your case you were auditioning, not in a band situation. In that situation myself I would probably say "that's OK I'll get everything", at first anyway. It is important to flex your individual muscles in a new relationship.

Now when you are in a Band...............that's another story. I don't EXPECT anyone to carry any of my gear in. But when the gig is over we should ALL carry out until finished. I will also carry anyone else's gear if they need me.

The problem with others carrying your drums is................"When they are dropped"...whose fault is it?? It is the drummers for letting others carry it out. My opinion. However, If I drop a Fender Twin on the way out and break it, my bad and I would step up and pay whatever to repair etc. That is what I would do.....others will not do this for us drummers so if they carry it and bust it, your problem.

TNA.....we ve probably all felt your frustration. Funny thing is.......band members never help with the drums( At least not in my band, and we have had many personnel changes.) However, the fans usually are WAY more eager to help. Especially after the gig when they are filled up on booze. Just be sure to keep an eye on loose wing nuts, half open drum/cymbal bags....they are not always the most graceful.

Back