Can anyone name these drums?

A

audiotech

I sure can't. This photo was probably taken in the late 1940s before my dad bought his white marine pearl Ludwigs. I just found this picture.

EHband-1.jpg

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis,the only drum company that I can remember,that used off set lug mounting in the late 40's would be Ludwig.Those look like Zypher single tom lugs,but I can't be sure.Just a guess.Hope this helps.

Steve B

Sorry Dennis, I would really refer to Tamadrm's expertise on this one. I just wanted to thank you for sharing that old picture. I love the guy on the right's suit.

Thank you everybody. I too thought that they might be Ludwigs only because that's what my dad went with following this kit. I wish that I had another angle, but this is the only picture I ever found with these drums.

There's always so many questions that were never asked, but really wish that they were, if this makes any sense.

Thanks again.
Dennis

The sax players remind me of Abbott and Costello :)
Nice pic. Cool drums. I am trying to imagine the color of the Duco finish on the kit. Blue and Gold perhaps?

I cannot help with the drums, but thanks for sharing that cool picture. Peace and goodwill.

Thank you everybody. I too thought that they might be Ludwigs only because that's what my dad went with following this kit. I wish that I had another angle, but this is the only picture I ever found with these drums.

There's always so many questions that were never asked, but really wish that they were, if this makes any sense.

Thanks again.
Dennis

I know exactly what you're talking about.I too am stuck with more questions than answers at this stage ,and no one left to ask.

Steve B

Those looks similar to what was left of my Dad's 1940's set I reclaimed a few months back. I still have the snare and bass. Toms on my Dad's were single headed though. It was the set that started it all for me.

View attachment 55574

Dates on mine are stamped inside the shell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those looks similar to what was left of my Dad's 1940's set I reclaimed a few months back. I still have the snare and bass. Toms on my Dad's were single headed though. It was the set that started it all for me.

View attachment 55574

Dates on mine are stamped inside the shell.

Except for the lack of the resonant heads, they do look quite similar. Unfortunately I never had the chance to play the drums in my picture. I believe I was just a figment of my parents imagination back then, if they had even met at that point of time, lol.

Dennis

I skimmed two vintage drum books I have.

The one thing I found that seems about right is WFL drums made between 1938 and the late 40's. They look similar to the "Victorious" line WFL made in this time period. The picture has metal lugs rather than wood ones, so it was most likely made between 1938 and 1941 (given after 1941 metal use on domestic products was limited due WWII) or after 1945 (when they returned to metal lugs) but before 1949, when that lug design was replaced.

But of course, without more pictures, it's difficult to say 100% sure.

The finish also matches pictures of WFL drums from 1938, but of course, Ludwig used that finish much later too.

I too am stuck with more questions than answers at this stage ,and no one left to ask.
Trust me, I know that feeling all to well.

Here is a good shot of the WFL Victorious line with wood parts.

Now just imagine this kit with metal lugs and hoops, and it's pretty close to what is in your picture

http://rhythmdiscoverycenter.org/onlinecollection/wfl-victorious-drumset/

aug08main.jpg

These really do look like the drums in my photo. I guess back then there wasn't a bagillian drum manufacturers like there are today, lol.

I really appreciate the research and photos.

BTW, from the looks of the original photo, it could be either a 24" or 26" bass drum. His later Ludwig kit had a 28" bass drum.

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited:
I would think back then you only had four manufacturers. Well, five, if you count Rogers, but I think Rogers came along later, no? Ludwig, Leedy, Slingerland, and Gretsch? I would think most likely Ludwig or Leedy - probably Ludwig.

It is funny how the toy drumsets of the 60s and 70s resemble the kit in your picture though. I had a toy one like that in 1969...

Yea, I know. I had a few of them in the fifties growing up. Probably most of them made of tin. I have pictures, but I'll save all you guys from the histerical laughter.

Dennis

Back