Remo Pinstripe

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between Pinstripes and Powerstrokes?

Pinstripes simply have the ink around the head, 7mil on both plies. I don't know if that's all Remo does for muffling or if there's an additional muffling element inbetween the plies, between the hoop and the ink circle, but eh.

Powerstroke 3s are single ply 10mil heads with a little muffling ring tucked inside the collar. Powerstroke 4s are two-ply, but I'm not sure of the thickness of the plies. Probably 7-mil on both.

Powerstrokes generally have more muffling.

Pinstripe heads are directly bonded to each other between the two plies at the edge. That's the difference as far as I'm aware.

Ah, okay. Figures, as I was try to deduct what the filmy look at the edge of mine is. I suppose the reason the Pinstripes sound less muffled than the Powerstrokes is because the plies are bonded like that & resonate as a whole, yet the Powerstrokes are louder and seem more muffled perhaps because their 'second ply' (the dampening ring) is unable to carry vibration across itself like regular heads & isn't glued to the top ply. Ironically, the head with more glue and material has more sustain that the one without.

or if there's an additional muffling element inbetween the plies, between the hoop and the ink circle, but eh.

Yeah there is actually. Remo call it a "ring reducing agent" on their site. But it looks like little white flecks of tissue paper. No idea what it is, but it's there and it's intention is to act as a dampener of some description.

On my Ludwig Vistalites I have pinstripes on my tom batters, I think they suit these drums exceptionally well.

I have ambassadors as reso heads, and when setting up the drums recently I experimented a little and tried using them as batters. I must say that the ambassadors didn't sound nearly as good when I used them as batter side heads, the pinstripes really bring out the "better" tones from the acrylic.

Also something about that look (pinstripes) just speaks to me. Classic.

I used pinstripes as tom batters on my first drum kit ($100 kit) and they sounded ok. Really short and fat sound. No tone at all (that's the drums' fault too). I wouldn't use them on my kit, I like more tone, brightness and resonance (currently running clear emperors over clear ambassadors).

Good, we've established we both like it a bit rough. So allow me to be a bit rough right back.

Actually, not true at all.......not by a long shot. They are no more or less a viable option that any other head out there......despite them being the red haired step child of the drumming fraternity.

I feel bad... I was drunk and in a bad mood. My apologies to anyone concerned, for writing such an unfriendly message on an otherwise very friendly forum.

Still, I'll never use such a muffled drumhead again, for toms and snare at least. :)

I feel bad... I was drunk and in a bad mood. My apologies to anyone concerned, for writing such an unfriendly message on an otherwise very friendly forum.

Still, I'll never use such a muffled drumhead again, for toms and snare at least. :)

Hey no need at all mate. Not offended by any measure.....nor do I particularly feel the need to jump to the defence of a Pinstripe either. Just some friendly banter for the sake of it.

The smilie should always be taken as a sign that I'm either joking, half joking, making a point but with good intentions or just playin' around for the sheer fun of if. :)

New Pinstripes sound kinda cool. But when they get some wear on them, they sound kinda dull. They are greatt for practice kits, as they last longer than single ply heads.

Here in Central Mexico, you really can´t get better drumheads than Clear Remo Pinstripes. I´m not saying it like it´s a bad thing. I mean, it´s an unfair lack of varioty if you just happen to be the kind of person who prefers to use other drumheads. Where I´m at, majority of the drummers (including myself) play Banda Sinaloense... it seems to be the type of style that plays best, and really can´t go wrong with Clear Remo Pinstripes. They even put them on snare drums here. This is apparently strange to most you, but to me, I look at it as normal now. We also put them on a set of LP Tito Puente Thunder Timbales, and like I said, It just can´t go wrong. I mean you have to tape toilet paper (because moon gels apparently dont exist here) to the bigger 16¨ Timbale´s drumhead to muffle it even more than what it aready is, I dont think I could really explain why... but other than that, if you just happen to play this style of music, Clear Remo Pinstripes will do wonders for you.

I remember 20 years ago when I started playing being told that if you don't have a high end kit, Pinstripes will definitely help you with your sound. So true. I used them on cheaper kits until I came back into playing a few years ago and bought a high end kit. My DW's are incredibly easy to tune with single ply heads and sound great. I do remember getting a nice tone out of pinstripes for low to medium end kits. I was really pleased with them. I just don't like them on snares at all. Hell, I've seen em on high end kits too. I guess it's down to preference.

Pinstripe clear i mean.. not coated,i came upon a stupid deal recently to buy a 24" clear pinstripe.. i run a clear powerstroke but was wondering how it would work with a pinstripe.. i can't find any decent review of them.. has someone tried it?

That's nice. Everybody has preferences. Was it supposed to be a poem though? Are you assuming most people here never heard of them?

Anyone used pinstripes as kick batters?

Yes! Always wanted to try them every since hearing Mike Portnoy rocking those on his old Purple Monster (also 24"). Besides the snare, i went with Pinstripes on everything on my (birch) kit and really works wonders enhancing the sound of the kit. I have two 22's by the way.

I tune them low, just maybe a quarter to half a turn at each lug. Low and punchy sound! I use a small pillow in each bass drum, but still it's loud. Had coated EMADs on them before, but the clear Pinstripes just blew those away.

Personal preference ofcourse, but i think 2 ply heads for the bass drums are the solution for me.

Back