Port hole cutter tool

JClutchD

Hey guys, I'm getting my new kit soon and want to change the bass drum's reso head from a black one to a white one, either a Remo Smooth White or Ambassador. I'm going to have to cut a port hole in the head and I'm just wondering if a port hole cutter tool, like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bass-Drum-m...ultDomain_0&hash=item1e5ae9c823#ht_3910wt_962 , would still work with a coated head like an Ambassador, or does this tool only work with thin and smooth reso heads?

Thanks!

It will Get Er Done no problem. Coated heads cut just like smooth ones do.

There is always the , Heat the can on the stove and melt the hole method.
It works great also.

I use the Holz cutter when needed and it's great. It takes a slight knack of knowing how much pressure to use, but once you've got it, you've got it. Also important to use it on a piece of cardboard to keep from damaging the tabletop/counter/floor you'll be working on.

Bermuda

If you don't wish to buy anything, you can also use an empty hot coffee can, (heated on a stove burner) to burn a hole in about 3 seconds. Check it on u-tube "how to make a bass drum porthole". I've done it plenty of times, coated or uncoated. The only head it does not work on very well are Fiberskyns.

If you don't wish to buy anything, you can also use an empty hot coffee can, (heated on a stove burner) to burn a hole in about 3 seconds. Check it on u-tube "how to make a bass drum porthole". I've done it plenty of times, coated or uncoated. The only head it does not work on very well are Fiberskyns.

The problem with a can is, you get one size hole - period. And if it doesn't happen to be 5 or 6", you won't have much luck putting a ring on it if desired. And if the can is out of round, the hole will be as well. And, you have to have a can laying around in the first place. I find it's better to spend the $8-10 and get the right tool for the job.

Bermuda

The problem with a can is, you get one size hole - period. And if it doesn't happen to be 5 or 6", you won't have much luck putting a ring on it if desired. And if the can is out of round, the hole will be as well. And, you have to have a can laying around in the first place. I find it's better to spend the $8-10 and get the right tool for the job.

Bermuda

Um...Cans come in more than one size. Sure if you want to buy the tool, thats great, nothing wrong with tools, go get 'em. But I suspect if you're not buying new bass drum resos every month, that tool is sitting around a long time. One can innovate. I have been able to find perfect 4 and 5 inch cans....and would never do a 6 inch porthole anyway. I like and have plenty of tools, but this is one I think is unnecessary.

I trace the reinforcement ring on the spot and then use small finger or toe nail scissors to do it by hand. Three minutes worth of work.

Actually, I might not need to cut a whole in my reso head. I just discovered that Evans makes an white EQ3 reso head with 5" port hole already in it. I'm going to open another thread about what I should use for a reso between that and the Ambassador.

Cheers guys!

Back