Grace or Disgrace?

Well, I know the story even if the link is from the Daily Mail (a laughing-stock, right-wing UK rage that hasn't been closed down in the last week).

I supported the student protests and I even supported giving the Royals a hard time; (I'm a Republican) so the idea of Charlie Gilmour jumping a Royal Protection car is hilarious but he was genuinely acting like an idiot an deserves whatever punishment he might get.

You break the law, you take the punishment. I'm glad that he apologised for his actions on The Cenotaph. There are few things that are sacred, but The Cenotaph is one of them.

I fully agree regarding "sacred" and shall be kept that way: Flag, Coat of Arms, National Anthem...shall be respected.

When someone breaks the law, must know that is expose face-to-face to the consequences and punishment.

About giving a hard time to the Royals. People has the right and duty to do so and show their unrest nation-wide, cleverly!

I fully agree regarding "sacred" and shall be kept that way: Flag, Coat of Arms, National Anthem...shall be respected.

When someone breaks the law, must know that is expose face-to-face to the consequences and punishment.

About giving a hard time to the Royals. People has the right and duty to do so and show their unrest nation-wide, cleverly!

Well, I don't sing the National Anthem any more because I'm an Atheist and a Republican; so it doesn't sit well! With that said, I observe the right of others to sing it, so I just stand there quietly.

I think the Royals were stupid; driving a Royal car through the streets of London in the middle of a day of unrest. Although I don't condone physical action (but found it funny, there's a difference!) they were asking for trouble doing that.

You never get the full story. It seems Charlie G was feeling unhinged after meeting his natural father. However, a lot of adopted people meet their natural parents and are disturbed by the experience.

Our singer was adopted and he was very turned off when he met his natural mother. He told me that it made him deeply grateful to be with his adoptive parents, who he considers his real parents.

It's a shame that Charlie didn't do the same and count his blessings rather than focus on the fact that his natural father didn't care about him. The fact is that Charlie's adoptive father was supporting him in court and providing a QC to help out suggests that he didn't focus on the good things he had. I wish my father was a member of Pink Floyd!

You never get the full story. It seems Charlie G was feeling unhinged after meeting his natural father. However, a lot of adopted people meet their natural parents and are disturbed by the experience.

Our singer was adopted and he was very turned off when he met his natural mother. He told me that it made him deeply grateful to be with his adoptive parents, who he considers his real parents.

It's a shame that Charlie didn't do the same and count his blessings rather than focus on the fact that his natural father didn't care about him. The fact is that Charlie's adoptive father was supporting him in court and providing a QC to help out suggests that he didn't focus on the good things he had. I wish my father was a member of Pink Floyd!

It can't be easy to be a young man in those situations. Charlie is younger than I am and I know how badly I react to the smallest of things. I mean, I went mad when I accidentally ate meat yesterday (I'm a vegetarian, the mince looks and tastes the same when it's been in the fridge!) so I can't pretend to understand what it must've been like for him.

I will always have endless respect for David Gilmour. That's just a given.

With that said, Charlie acted like a drunken idiot; vandalised a national monument and attacked a Royal security car. You do that, you pay the price. The law has to be the same for everyone regardless of emotion.

Incidentally Polly, I hope you're following the Murdoch scandal!

I was at the point of posting something on this yesterday, but thought better of it, as it probably would have got me banned from DW. This really makes my blood boil!

How dare this spoilt little ^£$^^ use his adoption as an excuse for his actions. His birth father wasn't interested in him! Big surprise that. Why the hell did he think he was put up for adoption in the first place. I spent years advising adopted adults on a help line. Believe me, I've heard it all. On each occasion, I steered the individual in the direction of appreciating their adopted parents. I was adopted out of an orphanage on the dock road of Liverpool. I'm likely to be the product of 1960 family peer pressure, or even more likely, the product of prostitution. Does that buy me a ticket to act like a dickhead? I don't think so.

This stupid boy needs a reality check. He also should have thought of the affect on his adoptive parents when sighting being disturbed by the reaction of his birth father. Ungrateful little %$%^!!!!!

Well done, Andy. I think you got things toned down enough to avoid being banned :) I'm not sure it was an excuse so much as the events were recounted and that seems to be the trigger. But yes, he screwed up hugely by not realising how lucky he was. Prison will be very difficult to him - he looks pretty soft.

Incidentally Polly, I hope you're following the Murdoch scandal!

Oh yes, but I'm pretty sure it's just scraping the surface of Murdoch's unethical empire. I liken News Ltd and their market dominance as our version of Pravda.

i feel ashamed that this rotter is a part of my generation. i don't have much time for the royals, but the cenotaph is sacred. i also find it irrelevant as to who's son he is (or isn't), there is no valid excuse in my mind for the way he acted. thank goodness he actually got given a prison sentence.

Well, I know the story even if the link is from the Daily Mail (a laughing-stock, right-wing UK rage that hasn't been closed down in the last week).

I supported the student protests and I even supported giving the Royals a hard time; (I'm a Republican) so the idea of Charlie Gilmour jumping a Royal Protection car is hilarious but he was genuinely acting like an idiot an deserves whatever punishment he might get.

You break the law, you take the punishment. I'm glad that he apologised for his actions on The Cenotaph. There are few things that are sacred, but The Cenotaph is one of them.

I take it "Republican" in British parlance is more akin to its actual definition than to the conservation American political party of the same name?

RE the OP, it sounds like the kid just wasn't thinking, and just behaving like a drunken goofball. In America that usually results in a court appearance, rehab, and a bigger contract if you are a celeb, jail time if you are ordinary folk, it seems.

I take it "Republican" in British parlance is more akin to its actual definition than to the conservation American political party of the same name?

RE the OP, it sounds like the kid just wasn't thinking, and just behaving like a drunken goofball. In America that usually results in a court appearance, rehab, and a bigger contract if you are a celeb, jail time if you are ordinary folk, it seems.

Nothing to do with the American political party. Everything to do with a dislike of inherited power.

This is Grace:

ba_summer20_ph40.jpg

This is a dis-grace:

CITY.jpg

Word of life experience...speak your mind plainly. I admire that from you - Andy!

I was at the point of posting something on this yesterday, but thought better of it, as it probably would have got me banned from DW. This really makes my blood boil!

How dare this spoilt little ^£$^^ use his adoption as an excuse for his actions. His birth father wasn't interested in him! Big surprise that. Why the hell did he think he was put up for adoption in the first place. I spent years advising adopted adults on a help line. Believe me, I've heard it all. On each occasion, I steered the individual in the direction of appreciating their adopted parents. I was adopted out of an orphanage on the dock road of Liverpool. I'm likely to be the product of 1960 family peer pressure, or even more likely, the product of prostitution. Does that buy me a ticket to act like a dickhead? I don't think so.

This stupid boy needs a reality check. He also should have thought of the affect on his adoptive parents when sighting being disturbed by the reaction of his birth father. Ungrateful little %$%^!!!!!

Back