Phil Maturano here!

Hi Phil!

I was just visiting the DW forum and saw your post.
In fact I've never visited the DW forum before, I just used to navigate through the drummers pages, videos, etc...

When I had the idea to check the forum today for the first time and saw your post, I decided to register just to say hello.
I studied with you back in 1992 in PIT.
I'm one of the brazilian guys at PIT.
It was an amazing year I spent in PIT and LA.
Great for maturity (I was 20/21) and as a life experience.
And it was a blast studying with Joe Porcaro, Ralph Humphrey, you, Effrain Toro, Chuck Flores, and many other great teachers, and watching all those workshops, concerts, clinics that we had at Musicians Institute.
Great time!

I remember that I bought with you your "Inner Clock" book. And it wasn't even finished.
It came with a cassette tape if I'm not wrong and the charts came in a xeroxed booklet.
;-)

But that was great! I used it a lot in my practice routine.
A few years later I bought the "official" version with a CD.

Anyway. I believe you won't remember me as you had a lot of students at PIT.
But I just wanted to say hi and that is good to know what's happening with your career.

I'm making my living drumming since I got back to Brazil in 1994.

I read you were close, in Argentina, doing some gigs. Cool.

Well, Good luck with everything.

Cheers!

Daniel Gordon

Afichebateriasmail-1.jpg

Hi Phil!

I was just visiting the DW forum and saw your post.
In fact I've never visited the DW forum before, I just used to navigate through the drummers pages, videos, etc...

When I had the idea to check the forum today for the first time and saw your post, I decided to register just to say hello.
I studied with you back in 1992 in PIT.
I'm one of the brazilian guys at PIT.
It was an amazing year I spent in PIT and LA.
Great for maturity (I was 20/21) and as a life experience.
And it was a blast studying with Joe Porcaro, Ralph Humphrey, you, Effrain Toro, Chuck Flores, and many other great teachers, and watching all those workshops, concerts, clinics that we had at Musicians Institute.
Great time!

I remember that I bought with you your "Inner Clock" book. And it wasn't even finished.
It came with a cassette tape if I'm not wrong and the charts came in a xeroxed booklet.
;-)

But that was great! I used it a lot in my practice routine.
A few years later I bought the "official" version with a CD.

Anyway. I believe you won't remember me as you had a lot of students at PIT.
But I just wanted to say hi and that is good to know what's happening with your career.

I'm making my living drumming since I got back to Brazil in 1994.

I read you were close, in Argentina, doing some gigs. Cool.

Well, Good luck with everything.

Cheers!

Daniel Gordon

If its the Daniel I think it is...I remember! Post o pic of yourself to help me out.
its hard bro....that was a looooong time ago hahahah!
Peace
PM

If its the Daniel I think it is...I remember! Post o pic of yourself to help me out.
its hard bro....that was a looooong time ago hahahah!
Peace
PM

Hi Phil!

Man, my main computer just died last friday and the external HD I have all my photos (my iPhoto Library) is not connected to this second computer right now.

But I was able to find a pic of me playing from 3 years ago.

Well, in 1992 I was a lot thinner and younger.
;-)

Gosh! 17 years ago!

Please, someone stop this planet rotation and the time!
:)

Attachments

• IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 633
Hi Phil!

Man, my main computer just died last friday and the external HD I have all my photos (my iPhoto Library) is not connected to this second computer right now.

But I was able to find a pic of me playing from 3 years ago.

Well, in 1992 I was a lot thinner and younger.
;-)

Gosh! 17 years ago!

Please, someone stop this planet rotation and the time!

Youve changed man!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha
What city are you in. There is a slight chance I might be at Souza Lima...the school in San Paolo to do a clinic. April. You should come over to the Drummers Intensive days in Argentina bro!!!!!!

Abrazo
PM

884E9348-BA4E-4A4A-AC1C-068949AC1CA.jpg

Well cats, as some of you may know, i have been organizing this drum festival here in Argentina. It's finally time!! We have had a few changes with the line up due to touring schedules but its now all locked in and ready to roll!!!! Setting this whole thing up has been a tremendous experience, and now soooo many people are involved in making happen. It took off like a rocket!!

We have some great companies supporting the festival and I just want to take a moment to thank all of them, as well as the distributors down here. Bernhard here at Drummerworld as well!!! Without their support and care for the drumming community in this country the festival would not be possible. This type of event doesn't happen here that often because of the expense. But it has been truly amazing...how people came together despite the "recession" ...despite the fears of the times...to make this happen. I think i will probably be sobbing with joy when the day is here...the theaters are packed and we are about to hit!! Haha.

Welcome to our latest additions, Istanbul and Paiste cymbals to the festival. I am very happy to have them.
Check out our latest news on our official festival website and I hope to see some of you South American Drummerworld cats here!
All the best
PM

http://www.emueducacionmusical.com.ar/bateria_2009//index.html

Afichebateriasmail-3.jpg

AFICHEDrumerLaPLatamail.jpg

AFICHENDDrumermail-2.jpg

Youve changed man!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha
What city are you in. There is a slight chance I might be at Souza Lima...the school in San Paolo to do a clinic. April. You should come over to the Drummers Intensive days in Argentina bro!!!!!!

Abrazo
PM

I'm in Rio de Janeiro.
São Paulo is relatively close.
400 km.

Argentina is another country and another story.
The last time I visited Argentina (Buenos Aires and Bariloche) I was 8 years old.
;-)

Good luck on the clinic.
Don't know if I can go.
But let's keep in touch.

Hi All!!! Just wanted to let you know that i will be finally taking private students, when I arrive back in NY. I am back on the 31st of March, so any questions you can email me directly.

[email protected]

Greetings from South America at the moment.
PM

Anyone in the area should take Phil up on this...... I wish I could.

I watched Phil organize a tough event for almost 2 weeks and after a full day of running around .. sit on the drums and kill his performance.

Viva Argentina! and Viva Phil Maturano!
Welcome back!!
FB

Hi guys! I've been updating my site allot in the last days and just wanted to invite you to drop by and take a look.

Also, since this is the first online lesson available I am making a nice special package deal! For the next 2 days, buy my first lesson - The "3" in Jazz -
Onlinelessonseries-3injazz-1.jpg

and get my latest cd "NY / Koeln Jazz Project" for freeeeeee!!!!!
NYKolnprjct1.jpg

Yes free:) Only for 2 days though. So now is the time!

I send many thanks to the people who bought the lesson and look forward to hearing from you all. Also if there are any web experts out there I would love to hear your feedback on my site. I am making links for people to download the material, but will eventually make it automatic. Would love to have any advice about doing it if you guys have experience with that.

Many big hugs
PM

www.philmaturano.com
www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums
www.youtube.com/philmaturanodrums

New Online lesson up!! You've got to Funk a Drei!!

funka-drei-c.jpg

You've got to Funk a Drei!!

Tired of sounding flat? Tired of your ideas and licks?

There is a way to expand your vocabulary right away! Through the study of Rhythm!
Rhythm is like a kaleidoscope. When you turn the Kaleidoscope it makes different shapes. Think of rhythm as the shapes you see in the kaleidoscope. As you turn your perspective rhythmically, different cyclic melodies will appear. Rhythmic perspective will determine what melody you are hearing in any cycle. In this case I chose this "rhythmic melody" if you will. Since it is pervasive in western drumming culture. Rhythm is basically infinite. And as you will see, the creative possibilities using "just" this perspective, soon become a deep ocean of drumming vocabulary.

In this lesson we are learning to open up your phrasing and achieve what some of my Students refer to as a "rolling time feel"- Also known as "Playing over the barline"

The tool we are using is what I call the...
"3 bar cycle" -

Check out this lesson and enjoy!! - Level = Intermediate
Purchase - You've got to Funk a Drei!!
30 mins mp3 / with extensive PDF's - Exercises and text!!

www.philmaturano.com/onlinelessons.html

Hey Phil!

Only just found this forum here so I just wanna say how much I enjoyed your masterclass at ACM last year. Got a pic with you at the end too :)
PhilMaturano-1.jpg

Im thrid from the left, kinda in the middle :D

Drummers Intensive day L.A.!!!! Date - potential date-July 28th

Hey guys, I am putting the feelers out to see who wants to participate in a Drummers Intensive day in LA. I will be in LA at the end of the month and I got a couple of requests to do one. So...

Here we are...

Drummers Intensive day L.A.!!!!

Date - potential date is July 28th

Outline
The Drummers Intensive day was started to serve the needs of drummers across the globe. After 17 years of doing clinics on a worldwide basis, I know first hand that players still have a burning desire to learn and improve their craft. As we all know this learning process never stops, for any of us. The question is always...who to turn to, and how to get time with players that have vast experience in their particular field. How can we even find them when they are not in our area of the world? Dealing with scheduling conflicts and expenses of a 1 on 1 lesson can also be a hurdle. So to make our drumming and our drumming community stronger, the Drummers Intensive day was started.

Central Concept
The central concept of the "Drummers Intensive Day" is to provide students with playing time in front of some of the best players in the world. In a clinic setting we have the opportunity to see experienced players play, showcase equipment, give playing ideas and inspiration. But only 2 hours of watching someone play can leave lots of holes and questions. And of course there is no time for participants to get up and play and have feedback in any way. Maybe many drummers are also hesitant to ask questions because of fear or they are simply too shy. I found that this problem is overcome by putting sticks in that persons hands and saying..."lets hear where you are". This removes all inhibitions and lets us all share the joy of our journey in drumming. While getting the best advice from experienced players in a setting that is both constructive, musically safe and has the best outcome for the participant in mind.

What takes place?
In this 5 to 6 hour journey into drumming, the hosts will guide participants through the area in which they have outstanding expertise. Participants not only watch and learn but also take part! When you are at a Drummers intensive day...be ready to play! When you attend, you must be ready to play on drumset and in front of everyone at the event. You will play to backing tracks, and play along with the instructor. You will then receive feedback from them as well as your fellow participants. That is what makes this event unique. We have plenty of time to accommodate all questions and explore the subject matter at hand deeply and thoroughly.

Who's there?
Phil is one of the worlds top clinicians. With a schedule that takes him around the world, his Instructional books and DVD have allowed him the opportunity to reach thousands of drummers, students and professionals alike, with enthusiastic response. As a clinician Phil has taught and performed at the most prestigious drum institutions and venues:

• Argentina Drummers Intensive days (AR)
• Marktoberdorf Drum Camp (DE)
• Cape Breton International Drum Festival (Canada)
• Drumteck (London)
• Drummers Collective - New York, USA.
• The Music Institute (London)
• Musicians Institute, LA
• Drummers Focus - Munich (DE)
• Masstricht conservatory - Netherlands
• Rigas Ritmi Music Festival - Riga, Latvia.
• 10th, 11th, and 12th Annual Drummers meeting - Salzgitter, (DE)
• Arnhem Conservatory - Netherlands
• Meinl Drum Festival - Gutenstetten, (DE)
• The Las Vegas Percussion Camp/UNLV - USA
• Drums Only with Vinnie Colaiuta in shorndorf, Germany
• Ed Thigpen and Steve Houghton - at WND Jazz Spezial
• Drummers Institute - Dusseldorf Germany
• Escola Civica - Milan, Italy
• Guitar Center - U.S. circuit - Featured
• M.U.G. Music House - Gothenburg, Sweden
• Zurich Latin Music - Zurich, Switzerland...as well as many
others in Austria, France, Spain and South America

Upcoming events Argentina September tour - Italy Clinic Tour October w/ Phil Maturano trio, Germany and UK Clinic tour November

These are workshops that I have given in Europe extensively. Drummers of many different levels enjoy them very much. An intensive event involves a 6 hour seminar. It will cover a range of topics assembled to some degree according to the level of players that attend. (yes there will be breaks and not 6 hours straight) And there will be a limit to the amount of players at the event.

IN general the topics are.

Jazz (independence and phrasing)
Latin (styles concept / independence and phrasing)
Contemporary Drumset Independence and styles (Rock and Funk - Inner clock studies)
Hand technique
Learning how to Practice
Inner Clock Studies

However, I will be tailoring the event to some degree according to the level and interest of the participants.

How to Practice?? Yes, it takes one hour to teach someone how to practice. It is involved and is its own separate skill. There is a full on method to this which you will receive as print outs. Including the central concept, analysis and breakdown of subject matter, scheduling and mental preparation.

The seminar will be held in the LA area. I am going to work out exactly where and any suggestions you might have are welcome. Usually in a rehearsal studio. (Most likely here in the Valley.)

The event will be a combination of "information / discovery" and "hands on". In other words, participants will be playing as much as possible instead of purely watching in order to receive proper evaluation. You must be prepared to play in one of the following situations.

A) To tracks with charts on kit
B) With me on percussion and you on kit
C) On pads and snare drums.

What you will take home to continue your work from the event.
My books------------
1) "Working the Inner clock"
2) "Latin soloing for the drumset"
3) Available tracks from my new book "Inner clock 2" along with the workbook and charts
4) Full version of PDF files from my DVD " Afro cuban Drumming"
5) The full practice method.

==============================================
PS Here is some and a breakdown and timetable of parts of the event

Presentation is based on material from my books as well as from my new DVD "Afro Cuban Drumming - An overview for the Drumset"

Part 1 / Working the Inner Clock
The concept of this book is explored by working on a series of exercises. The exercises are contained within contemporary song formats and are worked on by using a play along CD and Charts. Their purpose is to allow players to expand their "Inner clock" by attacking specific subdivisions and figures.
While analyzing the "ebb and flow" effects on music by subdivisions, we can internalize phrases and increase our sense of "time" by becoming fully aware of these properties of rhythm, in the body and mind. Clinic participants are encouraged to be a part of the activities. They are called up to play at random. Their performance is analyzed and if necessary the player is given adjustments and tips to continue on.

Schedule: Hour 1
1) Introductions
2) Phil performs songs from book
3) Explanation of inner clock theory
4) "Inner clock" workout with audience
5) Clinic Participants called up to play
6) Critique session with audience participation
7) Phil Closes performing song from the book

Part 2 / "Latin Soloing for the Drumset" - "Afro Cuban drumming"
This presentation focuses on a concept from the book called "RTS". (Relayed time shifting). A system designed to decode the phrasing of African descent music. Through the use of RTS players are taken through a variety of styles (Afro Cuban / Brazilian etc) and are given a totally unique insight into how this music is played with an authentic feel. This concept is the only one that combines the ancient and mystical rhythms of the past, with their modern day counterparts. Finally giving drummers a system to achieve a mastery of this most intense and elusive genre of drumming.

Schedule: Hour 2
1) Introductions
2) Open Solos - Batucada, Soca, Afro Cuban, Cumbia, Malambo, Funk, Straight ahead.
3) Exploration of RTS concept
4) Played examples from book
5) Construction of an afro Cuban based drum solo
7) Working with percussionists in a rhythm section
6) How to solo with left foot clave

==================================================
The cost $100.00 US per person. If you are coming from Europe it will also be dollars not Euro. We would need to confirm your attendance before the evet and to reserve your spot we need to get the fees together asap.
Date - potential date is July 28th

If you would like to talk about attending and any other suggestion or question, please write me

[email protected]

Or visit the official page to sign up right away!!
http://philmaturano.com/drummersintensivedays.html

There is a very good chance that Cliff Almond will also be involved in the event so it would be the both of us doing the seminar. Dividing the subjects. I am not 100% sure yet though, I am discussing Cliffs schedule and availability.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses

Phil Maturano.

Last edited:
Well the day is pushed back a bit because of scheduling . Its going to be on the

8th of August!! A Saturday.

I think this might suit people better being a weekend.

Also....The great LUIS CONTE is going to be there with me!
I just got confirmation today!!! Its going to be a fannnntaastic event!! I will keep everyone updated but as of right now the date is pushed back to August 8th!! If you already signed up of course your ticket is still good!!

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

PM

Its official!!! Luis Conte is onboard and we are set for the 8th of August!!!!
Dust off those Latin chops and get ready to play with us!

To sign up check out the official Drummers Intensive page!

http://philmaturano.com/drummersintensivedays.html

Di-Day-LA.jpg

Phil
It was really great to finally meet you @ DI day.

Watching you and Luis play together was soooo inspiring!

Lookin forward to next year.
I'm there Bro :)

Back