...for the jazz cats ...

Maybe someone in here can help me. I got these two posters and have no idea who the players are. They could just be fictitious musicians, but I thought the Sax player looked like Bird. No clue who the trumpeter is though. Any ideas?

tumblr_mf6o8uvqPS1qbspq2.jpg

tumblr_mf6o9qNdVd1qbspq2.jpg

Maybe someone in here can help me. I got these two posters and have no idea who the players are. They could just be fictitious musicians, but I thought the Sax player looked like Bird. No clue who the trumpeter is though. Any ideas?

tumblr_mf6o8uvqPS1qbspq2.jpg

tumblr_mf6o9qNdVd1qbspq2.jpg

looks to be fictitious characters loosely based on Bird and Diz ...who were a dynamic duo in the 40s

I'm wondering if you jazz cats could give me some recommendations. :) My favorite jazz albums of all time are A Love Supreme by Coltrane and Empyrean Isles by Herbie Hancock. I love 1960's jazz of that type and want to get into more because that playing is just inspiring. The sound, the expression, technicality, the feeling. Any recommendations for that kind of style? I prefer quartets. Thanks!
Concerning Coltrane, A Love Supreme was just the beginning.
One of my favourite albums is ALS's follow-up, Meditations.
I've heard there's a "First Meditations", as well, but I'm unfamiliar with this recording.
There's also Innerstellar Space, Expressions and Stellar Regions...and let's not foget those classic Village Vanguard recordings.

Elvis

looks to be fictitious characters loosely based on Bird and Diz ...who were a dynamic duo in the 40s
If you ask me, the trumpet guy shares a closer resemblence to Roy Eldridge...

Roy_Eldridge.jpg

The sax guy reminds me more of Coleman Hawkins...

6a00e008dca1f08834017615c8d532970c-500wi

JMHO.

Elvis
P.S. Those are beautiful paintings. I'm a bit of art collector myself. Where did you get them?

If you ask me, the trumpet guy shares a closer resemblence to Roy Eldridge...

JMHO.

Elvis
P.S. Those are beautiful paintings. I'm a bit of art collector myself. Where did you get them?

the beret is a dead Diz giveaway

obviously a characterture ....but for sure based on Diz

the artist is Will Rafuse.....he calls them Jazz Cat Alley

Can you show me a pic of Diz, from back then, wearing the beret?
I've heard this from othes, but have yet to see a pic of him actually wearing one.

Elvis

THAT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE PAINTING!

....kidding. Thanks for posting those. =)

Elvis

Jazz Cat Alley II

ACABAAQA-P56633.jpg

Could the bass player be Charles Mingus or maybe Slam Stewart?

Elvis

if any of you have never heard this......and even those who have

take 9:49 and treat yourself to some of the .....if not THE best drumming you will ever hear in your life.......and I'm dead serious

listen to a 17 year old Anthony Williams display the most unbelievable talent I have ever heard

his playing as an accompanist is absolutely amazing, inspiring, forward moving and thinking , and unbelievably unique

his solo in this tune is like nothing that had been heard at that point in 1963......seriously mind blowing

I mean......Elvin, Art, Bunker, Grady Tate, Roy, and a few other cats were playing some out stuff....but nothing like what Tony plays here

no matter how many times I hear this tune over the years ....it blows my mind every time

this to me is the absolute epitome of drumming and needs to be celebrated because Tony changed everything and shaped drumming as we know it today

enjoy this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlvAlQV6CqA

Last edited:
Oh hell yeah. I just revisisted this because you guys mentioned it a couple weeks ago.

I agree. Tony was just at a different level. I seriously prefer his playing circa 1963-1965 over anything he did later.

I know he's probably even more famous for the stuff he did years later, like the "blushda" licks, the quarter note on the hats and all the fusion stuff. That's what people seem to remember most, that's what the Lifetime tribute band with Cindy Blackman celebrates.

But, to me, this stuff was the pinnacle of Tony. And maybe jazz drumming in general.

He was so fresh at this point, played stuff so swinging, yet so advanced. His inventiveness seemed to have no limits. No repeating himself, no contrived "licks." His drum sound is so musical. His cymbal sound is the standard for the instrument in this music, for so many.

Oh hell yeah. I just revisisted this because you guys mentioned it a couple weeks ago.

I agree. Tony was just at a different level. I seriously prefer his playing circa 1963-1965 over anything he did later.

I know he's probably even more famous for the stuff he did years later, like the "blushda" licks, the quarter note on the hats and all the fusion stuff. That's what people seem to remember most, that's what the Lifetime tribute band with Cindy Blackman celebrates.

But, to me, this stuff was the pinnacle of Tony. And maybe jazz drumming in general.

He was so fresh at this point, played stuff so swinging, yet so advanced. His inventiveness seemed to have no limits. No repeating himself, no contrived "licks." His drum sound is so musical. His cymbal sound is the standard for the instrument in this music, for so many.

In total agreement. The early 60's stuff just total blew my mind, and I wasn't a drummer when I first heard this stuff but Tony's playing totally caught my attention... and the cymbal work!...Whoa! Pure magic!

Couldn't possibly agree more. A defining moment of my musical upbringing was when, at 10 years old, my dad sat me down and made me listen to Nefertiti. Hearing Tony (specifically on Nefertiti and Pinocchio) forever changed the way I heard/played the drums.

Btw, I'm one semester away from graduating with my master's in jazz performance, so I'll throw my hat into the ring as a "jazz cat"!

Also, I throw out there what I'm listening to right now. Just picked up Kurt Rosenwinkel's new album, "Star of Jupiter". Wow! It is really, really good. Justin Faulkner is playing on the album, and it is totally killing. This guy has his stuff together. Very tasteful playing, almost ZERO over-playing (quite refreshing, kind of reminds me a bit of another favorite, Rodney Green). If you're looking for something new to check out, this is a solid add. Aaron Parks on piano and Eric Reevis on bass round out an exceptional quartet.

I'll throw my hat into the ring as a "jazz cat"!

absolutely brother

the more cats the better

looking forward to sharing and learning from each other

this thread gets poppin now and then....stick around

Back