Too old...?

Mid-life crisis perhaps? Realising that time is running out and not wanting to look back and regretting not doing those things you really wanted to do?

One person told me I was having a mid life crisis because I took up the piano and violin at 34, and some others gave me funny looks. Screw 'em; if you want to do it just do it and have fun. Of course it is not too late. With every new instrument its like discovering a whole new world to get lost in. I've drawn the line at 3 though, otherwise I wouldn't be able to give each one the attention it needs, plus can't think of anything else I really want to learn!

I think every person who feels too old should start something new.

Get a pair of sticks and a practice pad to start.

Get some lessons...feel humble...learn to learn again...or possibly for the first time!

Get a set...get some new friends...play some music...laugh.

I think every person who feels too old should start something new.

Get a pair of sticks and a practice pad to start.

Get some lessons...feel humble...learn to learn again...or possibly for the first time!

Get a set...get some new friends...play some music...laugh.

This....................

Deal done, kit ordered (Odery shells, Tama hardware, TRX DRK cymbals)... Now starts a long slow road to learn...

My first lesson was so much fun though - it's already addictive! :)

Next lesson thursday...

Deal done, kit ordered (Odery shells, Tama hardware, TRX DRK cymbals)... Now starts a long slow road to learn...

My first lesson was so much fun though - it's already addictive! :)

Next lesson thursday...

Well done and welcome on board. Get a practice pad and go through stick control and rudiments each day, read, listen, and talk to other drummers here and else where. It's a fantastic journey that never ends. One day you will find the snare that has the sound that you've always been looking for, and that is a wonderful day.

Paul

Two words, brain plasticity. Drumming is one of the best anti aging things out there. I think it should be prescribed by doctors for depression as well. It could be one of the best choices you ever make. I can't say enough about it. It is a constant challenge, if you want it to be. It's a constant source of pleasure, if you want it to be. It can be an outlet for frustration, aggression and depression, if you want it to be. It can soothe you and make things all better. It can be anything you want it to be. I truly feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have something in their life, other than loved ones, that is as fulfilling as drumming is to me.

Playing drums and being able to create groove....Not everyone who plays drums can groove, all I can say is that it's a great goal, to be able to groove. It doesn't take monster technique either, but more technique is always a good thing, used wisely anyway. It's more about how deeply you feel things. I think it's fair to say I am completely obsessed with drumming. I had a gig last night with my newest band. We did this song...OMG it grooved so hard that 2 of the band members commented to me right after the song was over how that was the deepest groove that song was ever in. You talk about your feeling of fulfillment....it's amazing how a few words and knowing smiles from my mates can make me completely fulfilled. I love that feeling. It lasts for 2 days with me.

if you already play bass then you have a good start. You should already understand groove, and if you've played with drummers at all you should probably know the basics like 1&3 on kick, 2&4 on snare (depending on the style), ride on either the hihat or ride cymbal, etc... Definately not too old to start. As a drummer who also on occasion plays bass, I will tell you that learning another instrument, ESPECIALLY another instrument that goes so hand in hand with your main instrument, will make you a better bass player, just as playing bass makes me a better drummer, because you'll have revalations and come to understandings you never knew before. Best of luck and welcome to the family! :)

if you already play bass then you have a good start. You should already understand groove, and if you've played with drummers at all you should probably know the basics like 1&3 on kick, 2&4 on snare (depending on the style), ride on either the hihat or ride cymbal, etc... Definately not too old to start. As a drummer who also on occasion plays bass, I will tell you that learning another instrument, ESPECIALLY another instrument that goes so hand in hand with your main instrument, will make you a better bass player, just as playing bass makes me a better drummer, because you'll have revalations and come to understandings you never knew before. Best of luck and welcome to the family! :)

thanks for that :)

I'm off to pick up my new kit tomorrow and I honestly can't wait!

I'm always a bit mystified by these "too old" posts.

Give me a break. It's music. You're only too old when you physically can't do it anymore. If you're imposing some artificial "I have to be a virtuoso at some point" goal on yourself, then maybe it is wrong for you. Just play music and don't worry about what other people can or can't do. Play for you.

Do you play FNM's song by that title? :D

No...we want to play originals, and only have 3 covers at the moment, which we are working on phasing out (but they are soooooooo much fun to play bwuhuhuh).

:)

Back