Recording Gear Question

Teeklin

I'm looking to upgrade my recording situation from what I'm doing now and I was hoping to get some ideas of what to start looking for or some recommendations. Right now, I've got four microphones positioned in various places around my kit that are all connected to this mixer, which then goes to a single line-in on my PC in the other room. From there I do my recording with Audacity and it sounds alright, but I'd like to step things up a bit from where I'm at.

I'd like to build a new computer specifically for music/recording, but I have no idea what kind of audio interface I should be looking for. And once I get everything hooked up the way I want it, what kind of software should I be looking to learn/use?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Try taking a look at Akai's new EIE interface. It has the 4 mic inputs you would be looking for, and at only $200, quite a deal compared to other 4 input interfaces on the market.

http://www.akaipro.com/eie

As for software, Cubase should do you fine if you are on a budget, but I would highly recommend Pro Tools 10!

TASCAM US-1641 or US-1800. You can find them between $200-300. You can record 14x tracks simultaneously. Comes with Cubase.

System requirements: dual-core (or better) at least 2.2 GHz per core, 4GB RAM, 7200rpm HDD. USB 2.0.

I'm using the TASCAM US-1641 with an HP dv7 laptop (so my studio is portable).

Back