playing open handed with the ride cymbal on your left

h3r3tic

Silver Member
Hey guys
As you know I've been trying to play open handed and it is really opening a lot of creative doors in my playing. But before I used to switch left to right hand because of my ride cymbal and now I'm thinking in placing it next to my main hi-hat (on me left).

What are your thoughts on this one?

This is how I always have played, replacing the traditional position of the Crash cymbal with the Ride cymbal.

It works fine for me, except it can be challenging when doing doublebass pedals some times (because, I guess, of the right foot lining up with the left hand -- it's a limb independancy thing). Maybe a second ride on the right side of the kit is a good idea if this is a problem for you.

I like to play like that when I can, but I often don't have room and stands to spare. I like to have a crash on both sides, so I put the ride to the right and use it as a crash ride.
The best option is having rides both left and right.

i started out like that now my kit is a mirror image on both sides except for the drums,two rides ,two chinas ,4 crashs ,two splashs ,two hi hats all diff sizes of course. but its really helped me become more creative and forced me to use my hands in different ways.

I have now a right & left ride to work on my open handed playing and up to now, I'm getting more comfy playing that way.

Back